Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 01:30 PM

496 posts, read 552,743 times

Advertisements

I don't run, due to certain minor disabilities, but I'll walk for miles with no entertainment other than nature (if available) or my own imagination and thoughts. You say "how can people exercise w/o getting bored." I say "how can someone not get lost in their thoughts while their body does its job." Just different brain wiring, I guess.

I find it very easy to read on exercise equipment. If the equipment has a flat area in front, I put one of those plastic magazine holders on that, and read magazines. I don't read books on exercise equipment; with a holder, it's too hard to turn book pages w/o tearing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 01:33 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
I don't notice much difference between the treadmill or outdoor running. Prefer the indoor where there are no cars approaching me, no dogs chasing me and I am also using the AC and the fan. You have to keep yourself amused. Watch crossfit on TV, listen to music, sort out work issues. I am also very number oriented, so keep trying to beat my time/distance etc on the machine whereas I have no clue what I am doing when I am on the roads. I do it for 60 minutes straight. If some interesting people show up around me, even better.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:33 PM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
I don't know how people run, period. It just kills me. Even when I was in the service and running daily, my shins and knees would be in agony very quickly. I always envied those whose bodies were built for running, watching them glide so effortlessly whereas I was beating the earth to submission beneath my feet.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:37 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I don't know how people run, period. It just kills me. Even when I was in the service and running daily, my shins and knees would be in agony very quickly. I always envied those whose bodies were built for running, watching them glide so effortlessly whereas I was beating the earth to submission beneath my feet.
Chances are you were overdoing it. You get just as good a workout, be it for losing weight, or just cardiovascular health, doing 3.5 mph as you get going 4.8 mph. (I'm talking treadmill here). Few people realize this. You go at a pace that you can maintain, with some sweat, but not gasping for breath (and, btw, you build up to that...like 5 sessions or more). Remember - it's the amount of uninterrupted time you spend that is important - not the speed.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:42 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,127 times
I've been running sprints lately to break up the monotony of running. I'll run half a football field as hard as I can 10 times or so. I get my daily run in, but in half the time and get just as good a workout as I would've running 5 miles. Treadmills are a no-go for me.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:52 PM

29,738 posts, read 34,357,220 times
I generally don't like running, but when I do run what helps is to break it up into little mini-goals, like "I'm going to make it to that mailbox," then when I get to the mailbox I'll pick another landmark. Or "I'm going to go as fast as I can for 30 seconds," then slow down until I catch my breath and then do it again.

Old 07-26-2015, 02:06 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
I can run but treadmill I can't. Tried multiple times I rather run circles in a basement. Myself having huge mental block with running can't get over 2 miles after 4 month's. Miss the days head put for a 6 hour run to clear the head bring a bag lunch and camera just hit the trails. Really amazing scenery you can cover in those 6 hour's. Really miss those day's.

Old 07-26-2015, 02:08 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Running itself is inherently boring, but developing an ability to withstand boredom is one of the keys to success in life. One of the precepts of the 'Tiger Mom' was that (paraphrase) 'everything is boring until you become good at it.'

Like veuvegirl I run intervals on the treadmill. It's still boring in a way, but it's so challenging that you don't have time to be bored. I also run tempos and a few miles of barefoot running on the treadmill. For a while I did what I call 'TV intervals' where I would run fast during commercial breaks, and run a slow jog during the show content.

I look back at some races that I have participated in, and they were among the most exhilarating experiences of my life. I put in hour upon hour of boredom to reap a few minutes (5K) or hours (marathon) of exhilaration.

Old 07-26-2015, 02:11 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post
I've been running sprints lately to break up the monotony of running. I'll run half a football field as hard as I can 10 times or so. I get my daily run in, but in half the time and get just as good a workout as I would've running 5 miles. Treadmills are a no-go for me.
Same here, I love sprints because they are very efficient. When I first finish a sprinting session it doesn't feel like I did much (other than being a bit winded), but then maybe 15 minutes later my legs start to buckle like I just ran for miles.

Old 07-26-2015, 02:18 PM

589 posts, read 695,796 times
If you get bored on treadmills go to a park that has a trail. You'll be forced to keep going even once you get bored/tired.

Also, music helps with the boredom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness