Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 08:16 AM

465 posts, read 613,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Because there is nothing creative about it. After years and years of ballet and other dance classes I am trying to just exercise and use a treadmill. It is torture. I hate it. There is no reward and it serves no purpose. It isn't like being strong and agile is going to get me anything. Not a better performance, etc.

The treadmill is the worst. I try to make it go by more quickly by putting it on full tilt at 3.3 mph but due to a double spinal fusion it causes pain. So if I drop it to level there is less of a workout and it's all I can do to stay on the thing for even 25 minutes.

Unfortunately, there are no adult/senior dance classes where I live, at the level I want/need to stay fit in the manner which is truly fun for me. I'm 64 years old.
You might want to look into Pure Barre classes in your area. It would be right up your alley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 08:28 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I do not like to run period, but treadmills are the worst. I can manage to get 3 or so miles in outdoors, but on a treadmill I tap out after 5 minutes.
A lot of people are like that (probably most runners, in fact), but I can't run unless I'm on a treadmill in the gym. The Texas heat just drains me. It's both hot and humid, and this month we're running at about 108 heat index. Plus the high impact aspect of running is increased and bothers my joints more. I am mildly overweight, but I am also pretty muscular and in good physical shape overall. I'm built like a gymnast rather than a ballerina, which puts me at an automatic disadvantage as a runner anyway So I get on the treadmill, plug in my loud industrial music, and zone out. I enjoy it immensely.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:41 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
I used to love to run outside, with or without music. It's a great time to sort things out in my head, make plans, replay good memories and settle my sometimes crazy brain. I don't run much anymore because of joint issues, but I walk and it's the same thing. Plus walking is easier and gives me more time to look around at things that go by so fast when you're driving. I like to look at houses and landscaping. We live by the water and so I see lots of shore birds when I'm out. I'm never bored when getting cardio outside.

Inside is more difficult, but I usually watch TV while on the treadmill or elliptical. I don't watch much TV otherwise so I sort of enjoy it.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:47 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,566,714 times
Move to Birmingham, Alabama. It's too dark and rainy from November till march to run outdoors. Then, come June, the heat climbs and the humidity goes to 90%. It literally makes a lot of our residents sick to be out in it.

I can take the heat and humidity to an extent, but the rain, I can't do. I run a lot in the dark, but even that makes me a bit tense now, with crime being a concern.

Anyone know a good runners gun holster? Haha...

Treadmill wins out.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:40 AM

721 posts, read 1,566,186 times
I run outside all year long, in the snow and heat and cold and rain. I run 30-40 MPw but I can't last more than 10 minutes on the treadmill. Even TV does not help. I love my time running outside so I do what works for me.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:03 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I think the treadmill is hard too. I pass the time by listening to my favorite music.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:14 PM

607 posts, read 601,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Not defensive at all. But the topic was about how to make running more enjoyable.
That's the beauty of these kinds of forums, and humans in general - we all have our own opinions about things, and can discuss and debate topics if we want. God forbid I offer a differing perspective, sheesh.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:17 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Treadmill is painfully boring, but I use it because I feel better when I do. I have a tv in front of mine. I figure if I can sit in front of a tv and watch for 1/2 an hour I can darn sure walk while I watch the same show.

I prefer to walk outside and enjoy the scenery, but often the weather isn't good for being outside.

Not to mention not everyone has a safe place to walk or run.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:23 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Bored on a treadmill?
I don't run or do any other exercise outside of my bicycle commute.

But if anything, I'd pick/prefer a quarter mile, college or high school track over a treadmill for safety reasons.
I get winded, I brisk walk the corners until I sprint out the flats.
A treadmill looks like something I'd injure myself too easily on.

Reach down to lower speed, lose concentration, go flying off in the other direction!!

Old 07-28-2015, 02:36 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times
I live in the woods, maybe that's why I enjoy my Treadmill so, no worry about running into bears, Mt Lions or worst a crazy Mt Man... LOl..... Otherwise I just zone out and enjoy my along time, to think, dream or whatever~~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness