Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2015, 10:57 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
45 lb plates are heavy for me to move. I don't lift heavy and I shouldn't have to deal with jerks who think everyone who lifts weights is a giant, musclebound guy. Put your weights back where they belong.
I'm strong, but I'm a 50 year old petite female, and really injury-prone. Bending down at an awkward angle to pull a 45 plate off and then rerack it is just asking for an injury for me. I usually just don't even use the machine if I have to do that - but if I can find the jerk who left them there, I will go over and politely ask him to rerack his weights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 10:59 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I'm strong, but I'm a 50 year old petite female, and really injury-prone. Bending down at an awkward angle to pull a 45 plate off and then rerack it is just asking for an injury for me. I usually just don't even use the machine if I have to do that - but if I can find the jerk who left them there, I will go over and politely ask him to rerack his weights.
I'm also around 50 (next month) and not that big. It really irritates me when I go over to the leg press and find not one, but two 45 plates that I need to move.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:11 AM

589 posts, read 696,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
However, I was at another gym once, and a couple of guys were walking around with no shirts, showing off their bodies to the majority male gym-goers. For whatever reason, that bothered me, it just seemed indecent and inappropriate.
The gym is the only place where this would still be considered 100% straight. The things men will do to impress each other there is often ridiculous and embarrassing to watch. Reminds me of the guys who will immediately get on a machine after you and try to do more weight, even if it looks like they're having a hernia.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:29 AM

810 posts, read 1,808,222 times
Quote:
However, I was at another gym once, and a couple of guys were walking around with no shirts, showing off their bodies to the majority male gym-goers. For whatever reason, that bothered me, it just seemed indecent and inappropriate.
Where was that at? Every gym that I have been to, with the exception of crossfit and boxing gyms, have a rule that guys can't be shirtless.

Anyway, biggest pet peeves of mine are people who don't rerack their weights, and those who lift dumbbells right in front of the dumbbell rack rather than taking a few steps back to where the benches are to do their exercises. Reracking the weights is basic courtesy, and if you can lift that weight in an exercise, you can take the less than one minute to put the plates or dumbbells back. And lifting right in front of the rack blocks people from getting to the dumbbells or putting them away.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:57 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
Where was that at? Every gym that I have been to, with the exception of crossfit and boxing gyms, have a rule that guys can't be shirtless.

Anyway, biggest pet peeves of mine are people who don't rerack their weights, and those who lift dumbbells right in front of the dumbbell rack rather than taking a few steps back to where the benches are to do their exercises. Reracking the weights is basic courtesy, and if you can lift that weight in an exercise, you can take the less than one minute to put the plates or dumbbells back. And lifting right in front of the rack blocks people from getting to the dumbbells or putting them away.
It was at an independent local gym. Unless the owner was there, there was no one else to really enforce rules like that. They had like one person behind the desk and that was it.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:02 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
The gym is the only place where this would still be considered 100% straight. The things men will do to impress each other there is often ridiculous and embarrassing to watch. Reminds me of the guys who will immediately get on a machine after you and try to do more weight, even if it looks like they're having a hernia.
I was going to add that it seemed weirdly homoerotic too.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:42 PM

589 posts, read 696,209 times
Quote:
I was going to add that it seemed weirdly homoerotic too.
You should see the locker room antics.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:38 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
we are here to move weight around. Does not matter if on or off the rack it is good exercise.
Wrong Again. As the poster said, there are many people who are using the gym as part of a rehab program due to injury. Often 45 pounds is more than someone should be lifting when rehabbing from an injury. Because you decide 45 pounds is a sufficient amount of weight for other members to "move around" does not make it true. It is common courtesy to remove all weights from the bar before moving on.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:54 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Nothing annoys me in the gym, except if someone is sitting mindlessly at an equipment without using it and not allowing another person to use it.
So is the person who is "mindlessly" sitting on the equipment you want to use aware that you want to use it? As I have gotten older, particularly toward the end of my workouts, the resting time between sets has gotten longer, anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes if I have been doing a long work-out. I don't get up and walk away between sets because I'm not ready to wipe the bench down and move on. However, if I see someone looking in my direction or circling around I will ask if they want to work in or are waiting for the bench. If I don't see anyone who looks like they are waiting, I'm going to sit for a few minutes until I am prepared for my next set.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:41 AM

1,400 posts, read 765,996 times
Gyms exist to make money. One can be in perfect shape without ever entering a gym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness