Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2015, 01:57 PM

589 posts, read 695,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
The ones who park their big gymbag on a machine and feel that gives them proprietary rights over the machine even when they go away for 10-15 minutes to do whatever it is that is not actually using the machine. Training shoulders on a squat machine. Taking half an hour to do 5 sets. Dropping an ez curl bar hard on the safety arms after doing a set of barbell curls with the incredible weight of maybe 40 lbs top. Barbell curls on the only available squat rack. Barking like a dog in between sets. Putting like 700 lbs on the bar knowing that you can't squat it just to be able to lift tye bar an inch of tue hooks so your buddy can video tape you. I can go on and on but I will stop for now.
This pisses me off because it's the gym regulars who will keep doing this, knowing full-well it's not where you're supposed to do curls. The people at my gym only do it because the squat rack is in the middle of the room and they just want people to look at them. Freaking attention-seekers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 04:42 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,140,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I start progressively being annoyed with a "runner". There's a guy at my gym that sets about 5 work stations, weights and machines, all over the LARGE gym, "stakes" them with bottle of water or towel or what not - and then runs between them as he "works out".
For me if a person abandons a piece of equipment I'll use it, even if someone has left their "stake". I may even let them work in.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:08 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,835,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Guys who don't rack heavy weights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
1. People who leave heavy plates on the squat bar
Yes! So freaking annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post

I know some insecure guys who don't rerack just because they want other people to see how much weight they used.
Ha! Never thought of that.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:37 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Tbh, the entire Gym is annoying, but unfortunately, I don't have all the necessary equipment at home.
This.

The gym is a necessary evil. So we pay money for the privilege of ancient equipment, inadequate ventilation, poor layout, teeny showers with no water pressure ... and all the people-related annoyances already listed. But still we go. The benefits outweigh the irritations.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:41 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,950,382 times
Slamming the **** out of the weights on their last rep. It's loud, disrupting and displeasing. The extra grunt afterwards doesn't make me think any more of you btw.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:55 AM

564 posts, read 746,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
"Working in"

Just do your dam sets and get off, and let me do the same. Max three sets, so as not to hog a station. I don't want to spend extra time waiting around for you to do your sets while "working in". So damn annoying.
I have zero problems with letting people working in and always ask to work in if I need to use a certain piece of equipment that someone else is using, I really see nothing wrong with it, after all, when you're done with one set you have to rest, what is the problem with letting someone else do their set while you rest? If you hog a piece of equipment you're the annoying selfish guy.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:12 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,226,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This.

The gym is a necessary evil. So we pay money for the privilege of ancient equipment, inadequate ventilation, poor layout, teeny showers with no water pressure ... and all the people-related annoyances already listed. But still we go. The benefits outweigh the irritations.
Definitely. I have a ghetto set-up at home that suffices, but I make it a point to go to the real gym once/week, so I can't do the stuff I can't do at home.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:17 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This.

The gym is a necessary evil. So we pay money for the privilege of ancient equipment, inadequate ventilation, poor layout .

I see all of those as positive features. I love those small gritty, soapbox gyms. One of my favorites that I have ever been to was the San Marcos Athletic Club in San Marcos, Texas. Tiny, cramped, minimal air flow, the rust on the equipment makes you contemplate when you last had a tetanus shot, completely no frills environment and I had some of the best workouts of my life there. I don't do well at all with the country club style resort gyms.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:25 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,226,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
I see all of those as positive features. I love those small gritty, soapbox gyms. One of my favorites that I have ever been to was the San Marcos Athletic Club in San Marcos, Texas. Tiny, cramped, minimal air flow, the rust on the equipment makes you contemplate when you last had a tetanus shot, completely no frills environment and I had some of the best workouts of my life there. I don't do well at all with the country club style resort gyms.
A real man's gym, gosh darn it

Old 09-17-2015, 02:56 PM

589 posts, read 695,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
Slamming the **** out of the weights on their last rep. It's loud, disrupting and displeasing. The extra grunt afterwards doesn't make me think any more of you btw.
Had a guy doing that on the lat pulldown machine this week. He was even smiling while doing it. On one set he had already dropped the weight and was still grunting. Funniest slip-up I've seen in a while. Attention-seekers are the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness