Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 09:30 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
I once saw a group of middle aged dudes dressed like they were going to the club and working out LOLOL

Also a man reading the Wall Street Journal (an actual newspaper, not a tablet) in between bench press sets

I always wear in ear headphones blasting my music so I don't really notice what's going on around me. I actually don't mind the posers, pick-up-artists, etc, that's like extra stuff to look at as entertainment while i'm resting between sets.

I never hear anyone talking around me, laughing, coughing, giving unsolicited advice, etc. If I see someone mouthing at me, I motion to both of my ears and shrug at the same time. Then go back to what i'm doing.

I prefer free weights, squat rack, etc so I don't have to worry about machines being used. I also pick up and replace random weight plates in between sets as well. As a female, I figure hey, any extra movement means I just burned an extra calorie LOL
Lol when the person its saying "Hey dude you ripped a hole in your pants"...."sorry brah cant hear you, musics on"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 09:43 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I leave one 45lb plate at each end. That should be enough for next person's warmup. If too much then they should not be in the squat rack.[or bench press]
You leave 45 lb plates on the bar for bench press? That's a lot of weight for many people. Not to mention just because you warm up with that weight doesn't mean others don't warm up with an empty bar. Especially for squats. My warmup set is a form drill with the empty bar.

Also, there are people who do physical rehab-type exercises with this equipment. When YOU leave weight on the bar like a jerk, they ask ME to help them clear it off. I'm always happy to help, but that doesn't mean you get to be a jerk.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:08 AM

431 posts, read 449,720 times
It's annoying to leave weights on in the squat rack. Most people will need to adjust the pins. At my gym you will get kicked out if you get known for not putting weights away. there's a big sign about it upstairs and downstairs.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:11 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
...cowboy boots? How do people work out in stuff like this? I can't even run in jeans.
Beats the hell out of me. I once described this guy to a friend as the caricature of a bad pickup artist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Just once I would like to find a trainer who's doing the work because she loves helping people, not because it was a choice between being a trainer and pole-dancing.
Unfortunately, the simplicity of getting the certifications in America lends itself to a crappy product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Ultra-Bonus Douche-points if there's a sticker on the underside of the bill.
Oh yes, forgot about that one!

Old 07-31-2015, 10:15 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
You leave 45 lb plates on the bar for bench press? That's a lot of weight for many people. Not to mention just because you warm up with that weight doesn't mean others don't warm up with an empty bar. Especially for squats. My warmup set is a form drill with the empty bar.

Also, there are people who do physical rehab-type exercises with this equipment. When YOU leave weight on the bar like a jerk, they ask ME to help them clear it off. I'm always happy to help, but that doesn't mean you get to be a jerk.
we are here to move weight around. Does not matter if on or off the rack it is good exercise.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:26 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Quote:
I leave one 45lb plate at each end. That should be enough for next person's warmup. If too much then they should not be in the squat rack.[or bench press] Use the Smith Machine or dumbbells or weighted short bar if your gym has the latter. They do come in 20,30,40-110lb increments.

I left a few plates on one day and the next guy, a senior fellow,gave me lip about leaving all that weight. I said that is how I found them and besides we are here to move weight around. Does not matter if on or off the rack it is good exercise. He could do cable rows if he wants to start at zero.

I actually pickup and rerack loose weights in my downtime in between sets. I arrive and find equipment/benches/surrounding area untidy and when I am done they are orderly.

But as for annoyed....generally never annoyed at anything. life too short and all that.
Hey, no biggie. I just have to ask a nice guy to help a lil' woman out. Or just go use something else, I guess.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:38 AM

If someone is waiting I always ask if the weight it ok with them.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:55 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
I leave one 45lb plate at each end. That should be enough for next person's warmup. If too much then they should not be in the squat rack.[or bench press] Use the Smith Machine or dumbbells or weighted short bar if your gym has the latter. They do come in 20,30,40-110lb increments.

I left a few plates on one day and the next guy, a senior fellow,gave me lip about leaving all that weight. I said that is how I found them and besides we are here to move weight around. Does not matter if on or off the rack it is good exercise. He could do cable rows if he wants to start at zero.

I actually pickup and rerack loose weights in my downtime in between sets. I arrive and find equipment/benches/surrounding area untidy and when I am done they are orderly.

But as for annoyed....generally never annoyed at anything. life too short and all that.
Oh, so you're that guy. It's not really up to you to decide how other people at the gym should use the equipment. Even if everyone is there to move weight around, it takes times a person might not have to put your things away.

The only thing that bothers me at my current gym is a woman who puts her drink and towel on a bench and never uses it but does things either standing up or lying down. I don't understand why she can't put her stuff on the floor.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:57 AM

50,287 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Guys who don't rack heavy weights.
Girls who think lil tiny weights belong on the rack and not the tree.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Oh, so you're that guy. It's not really up to you to decide how other people at the gym should use the equipment. Even if everyone is there to move weight around, it takes times a person might not have to put your things away.

The only thing that bothers me at my current gym is a woman who puts her drink and towel on a bench and never uses it but does things either standing up or lying down. I don't understand why she can't put her stuff on the floor.
Yeah it is when I am done with it. I do not complain about the guy who left 6 plates loaded in the DL area. I just clean em up to my start weight and go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness