Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 09:09 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,455,336 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I need to lose 30-40 lbs for my health and I want to look and feel better. BUT I have no motivation! I want to work out 4-5 days a week for at least 30 mins. I unfortunately don't have anyone to work out with. Does anyone have any tips to get and stay motivated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 09:20 PM

519 posts, read 777,174 times
Where do you want to be this same time next year?

In a year you'll be a year older, that's a fact.

Do you want to be a year older and look the same way you do now? Or do you want to be a year older and be 40 pounds lighter?

You've got a year to think about it.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:06 AM

589 posts, read 696,295 times
If you need people to work out with join one of your local gym's fitness groups. There should be biking classes, dance classes, or something you'd enjoy.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:34 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
Hi everyone! I need to lose 30-40 lbs for my health and I want to look and feel better. BUT I have no motivation! I want to work out 4-5 days a week for at least 30 mins. I unfortunately don't have anyone to work out with. Does anyone have any tips to get and stay motivated?
Most weight loss happens not from working out but from changing what you eat. By making changes in diet and how much you eat you will lose weight faster than by working out. So many people want to lose weight without making a change in what they put into the body.

Lets take your 30 to 40 lbs that you want to lose. One pound is 3,500 calories. So to lose a pound you need to burn off 3,500 calories. Most people can see dramatic changes from just changing the diet. Cut down to sensible foods. Drink lots of water. Get lots of sleep. I seem to burn off a couple pounds a week and that is with not increasing my activity. I am doing that by cutting down on my intake.

Here is what I am doing:

1. I drink a lot of water. I have a 20 ounce container that I fill up maybe 8 or so times a day.

2. I eat oat meal for breakfast. Half a cup of dried oatmeal with some cinnamon cooked in the microwave with about a cup of water. I cook it for 2 minutes.

3. I eat a plate of raw vegetables and fruit for lunch. I may have a half a cup of nuts along with that.

4. When I get home I have what ever my wife made for dinner but what I have found is because I am eating less now I want less when I get home.

5. I take a nutritional supplement that a friend hooked me up with. I likes it so much that now I am selling it as well.

Here is what I cut out:

1. Sugary foods and drinks.

2. No snacking.

3. Nothing extra.

I do walk a lot. I have also found that by cutting out the fats and sugars I have more energy now than ever. Not saying it is bad to work out, for me by changing the diet first that gave me the energy to do other things.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:15 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Read through some of these older CD threads for help:

//www.city-data.com/forum/exerc...-work-out.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/exerc...vates-you.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/exerc...d-healthy.html

"Thars gold in them thar hills" if you just search for it. Im sure you'll find some useful info there to inspire and motivate you.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:12 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,455,336 times
Thanks everyone!

Old 08-07-2015, 01:20 PM

96 posts, read 78,453 times
I'm motivated by some friendly competition. My husband works out, and so I compete a little (just in my head). So if he works out 5 days a week, I want to match that at least, and some weeks, I beat it by working out 6 days. He likes to run, so I started running (we used to do this together, now I am faster, so we don't run together). But, if his plan is to do 4 miles, my plan is to run until he stops, which gets me about 5 miles or so.

Group fitness classes would have the same effect for me. I used to do a spin class, and I was always trying to push harder/go farther/burn more calories than the person next to me.

I also record my time/distances/whatever so that I can see how far I've come and know when I need to push myself harder.

Good luck!!

Old 08-07-2015, 01:41 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
I'm motivated by really wanting it. You have to really want it, enough to do the work. You can say you want it til the cows come home, but unless you mean it, nothing will happen.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:52 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
start out slower,,

look on youtube,,,,
follow the 5 minute workouts ,,,,get a resistant band,,
then do 10 minutes

then 15 minutes

drop the sweets and most all carbs,,,, eat protein (meats) and veggies,,

Old 08-07-2015, 05:02 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
No, I really do not. I don't know how old you are, or if you have faced any health challenges in your life. I, too would like to lose 40# (now 30#) but it is very slow. I do not exercise beyond the few basic gardening chores or some walking, because if I do, I experience physical symptoms that make me think my body doesn't want me to.
Not sure if I should fight against it, or listen to my body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness