Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 09:53 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,481 times

Advertisements

Hey folks let's talk about this for a moment. How many of you have heard negative comments from people about bodybuilders and other athletes weather they are professional or not or even about regular dedicated gym goers. I know I have especially in the media and on commercials such as Planet Fitness ads as well as right here in City Data. I will only share 2 misconceptions at least for now so other member can contribute their own too.

Misconception #1 Bodybuilders and and other athletes are dumb. They are all muscles and no brain. All they do is eat, sleep and train.

Misconception #2 Bodybuilders, pro wrestler and other athletes have no life outside their sport or fitness style and have no social skills.

Well I disagree with those misconceptions. To start with many bodybuilders, pro wrestlers football players and other ahletes are very smart, well educated and very sucessful in other fields inside and outside of their sports or disiplines. Arnold Shwarzenegger is a prime example, he went from being a young unknown soldier in Austria to becoming a 7 time Mr Olympia and one of Hollywood's highest paid actors as well as the governor of California. I know of many others just like him who have reached success and clearly defy those misconceptions. Also I know quite a few people who are very dedicated to fitness who are also very sociable and have good lives outside of fitness. I myself love bodybuilding and fitness although I look nothing like the big guys. I have a life and do many of the same things that people who have never exercise before do.
So how about you folks? Share your experiences and views. I look forward to hearing from you.

Last edited by 1orlando; 08-13-2015 at 10:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 10:03 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,397 times
Agree on the "Theyre dumb" one. People have tried that one on me until they find out Im an accountant. And my brother in law has a degree in biology from a well respected Uni.

Oh and the "theyre compensating" misconception. I assure you, I am not.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:25 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,533,451 times
so why does someone else having a bio degree have to do with you? smart by association?

dont know how someone competing at a professional level is dumb... even the dumbest professional athlete makes more money than most people which makes them pretty smart in my book.

no life? ask any of the 80+ hour a week office workers how much of a life they have... and they dont even get medals to show for it

Old 08-13-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Agree on the "Theyre dumb" one. People have tried that one on me until they find out Im an accountant. And my brother in law has a degree in biology from a well respected Uni.

That is good but you know what? Even if you were compensating so what? People compensate in many ways so I see no problem with that. I am short in height so for me being strong and fit and having some muscle compensates for my height. Of course that is not my only reason to train. I love training and it is not something I really need to do but I like it.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:33 AM

589 posts, read 695,740 times
Talking Muscular Guy At Gym Is Probably On Steroids, Says Fat Bastard

Here, have a laugh:

Muscular Guy At Gym Is Probably On Steroids, Says Fat Bastard | Waterford Whispers News

Old 08-13-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
Lol. One thing I have noticed is that a lot of the people who criticize those who are in shape not in such great shape themselves.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:53 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,315,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Hey folks let's talk about this for a moment. How many of you have heard negative comments from people about bodybuilders and other athletes weather they are professional or not or even about regular dedicated gym goers. I know I have especially in the media and on commercials such as Planet Fitness ads as well as right here in City Data. I will only share 2 misconceptions at least for now so other member can contribute their own too.

Misconception #1 Bodybuilders and and other athletes are dumb. They are all muscles and no brain. All they do is eat, sleep and train.

Misconception #2 Bodybuilders, pro wrestler and other athletes have no life outside their sport or fitness style and have no social skills.

Well I disagree with those misconceptions. To start with many bodybuilders, pro wrestlers football players and other ahletes are very smart, well educated and very sucessful in other fields inside and outside of their sports or disiplines. Arnold Shwarzenegger is a prime example, he went from being a young unknown soldier in Austria to becoming a 7 time Mr Olympia and one of Hollywood's highest paid actors as well as the governor of California. I know of many others just like him who have reached success and clearly defy those misconceptions. Also I know quite a few people who are very dedicated to fitness who are also very sociable and have good lives outside of fitness. I myself love bodybuilding and fitness although I look nothing like the big guys. I have a life and do many of the same things that people who have never exercise before do.
So how about you folks? Share your experiences and views. I look forward to hearing from you.
I respect anyone who dedicates themselves to any type of physical or intellectual pursuit. I enjoy weight-training and trying to improve the health and fitness of my body. For the most part, I have been pretty successful. From a health and functionality standpoint, I am doing very well. In terms of having big, showy muscles, not so much. I have an inherently flabby, loose body type, so I have always had to focus equal amounts of time on fat loss or minimizing fat gain as I have on muscle gain.

The main gripe I have against bodybuilders (and many athletes) is how many of them walk around like bad*asses. Strutting around, pea cocking, flaring their lats or walking with their elbows pointed out, trying very hard to look imposing and tough. And many times that's in combination with wearing a shirt that is two sizes too small! LOL...

Not all bodybuilders and athletes do that of course. But enough of them do (in my opinion) to comment about it. The desire to be seen as tough and strong and alpha and masculine leads many guys to overcompensate with in-your-face, flagrant displays of machismo.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
I respect anyone who dedicates themselves to any type of physical or intellectual pursuit. I enjoy weight-training and trying to improve the health and fitness of my body. For the most part, I have been pretty successful. From a health and functionality standpoint, I am doing very well. In terms of having big, showy muscles, not so much. I have an inherently flabby, loose body type, so I have always had to focus equal amounts of time on fat loss or minimizing fat gain as I have on muscle gain.

The main gripe I have against bodybuilders (and many athletes) is how many of them walk around like bad*asses. Strutting around, pea cocking, flaring their lats or walking with their elbows pointed out, trying very hard to look imposing and tough. And many times that's in combination with wearing a shirt that is two sizes too small! LOL...

Not all bodybuilders and athletes do that of course. But enough of them do (in my opinion) to comment about it. The desire to be seen as tough and strong and alpha and masculine leads many guys to overcompensate with in-your-face, flagrant displays of machismo.
Most certainly, I have seen those type and they can be quite pathetic and unfortunately those seem to be the only ones that a get noticed. I do not care much for those who have the show off behavior

Old 08-13-2015, 12:14 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,054,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post

Excellent thread.

Misconception #1 is probably born of jealousy. You'd be surprised how hard someone will work to cut down someone they are jealous of. Misconception #2 is probably born out of ignorance rather than anything else. I was just participating in a thread about weight lifters in the relationships forum and there were many people in there who had very wrong ideas about how much time even the professionals spend in the gym.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Exactly. One of the most respected names in weight lifting (Mark Rippetoe) has a degree in geology. I'm pursuing my own degree in geology.

Quote:
That's another one that is simple and pure jealousy.

Drive a nice/fast car? You're compensating for a small penis.

Lifted truck? Compensating.

Nice house? Compensating.

I could go on and on but, you get the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
That's another one that ties into the 1st misconception. Those who can't/won't do something tend to not only get jealous of those who do but in instances like this are very quick to make steroid/PED allegations as well.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Excellent thread.

Misconception #1 is probably born of jealousy. You'd be surprised how hard someone will work to cut down someone they are jealous of. Misconception #2 is probably born out of ignorance rather than anything else. I was just participating in a thread about weight lifters in the relationships forum and there were many people in there who had very wrong ideas about how much time even the professionals spend in the gym.

Exactly. One of the most respected names in weight lifting (Mark Rippetoe) has a degree in geology. I'm pursuing my own degree in geology.

That's another one that is simple and pure jealousy.

Drive a nice/fast car? You're compensating for a small penis.

Lifted truck? Compensating.

Nice house? Compensating.

I could go on and on but, you get the point.

That's another one that ties into the 1st misconception. Those who can't/won't do something tend to not only get jealous of those who do but in instances like this are very quick to make steroid/PED allegations as well.
And they also frown upon anyone who has the discipline and desire to eat healthy and train hard to look their best, like that is supposed to be a bad thing. They are quick to point their finger and acuse them of being vain and selfish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness