Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 02:03 PM

465 posts, read 415,304 times

Advertisements

I tried that many years ago and felt horrible. So now I don't care what they say I eat the hell out of carbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 02:17 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,765,578 times
Me 'n my diabetic heritage thrive on low carb. I do best on a protein 'n produce regimen. I try to get what carbs I do eat from vegetables.

I agree that it definitely took an adjustment period, but once I was off the insulin roller coaster it's been such a relief! For the first time in my life I feel like I have a somewhat normal relationship with food. I now know that what I used to think of was hunger was my blood sugar crashing after spiking. Just that, and finding out what normal hunger actually feels like, has been a revelation. I have noticed a definite impact to my athletic performance, and to the better.

We may have different 'happy spots', but I don't begrudge anyone a way of eating that makes your body feel its best.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:17 PM

52 posts, read 96,092 times
Wow. Some interesting reading here. OP, consider reading up on Metabolic Typing or Nutritional Typing. This will help you figure out what types of food will work best for you, regardless of your exercise preferences.

^ Kayela is on the right track.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:32 PM

41,728 posts, read 74,675,578 times
If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you. If you've tried it, and don't like it, or didn't have good results, then move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Going low carbs is only for people who dont exercise often and want to lose weight; not really meant for the active exerciser, IMO
Nonsense. The food plan isn't meant for the people it's not meant for. See above.

My total (not net) carb intake is between 20 and 60 grams a day. I walk/run 3-6 miles 6 days a week, train with weights 3 days a week, and practice yoga twice a day daily. Nevermind everyday activities. I"ve been doing low-carb for almost 15 years. And I've never felt better in my life!

Old 08-18-2015, 02:47 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,234,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Actually, higher-protein, low-carb diets work best with regular exercise with weights; a gym routine is part of the weight-loss program on those. The protein fuels the building of lean muscle mass, which facilitates and accelerates weight loss.
Some variables come to play (i.e) If you're already overweight or at a certain BF level you can maintain going on a lower carb/ higher protein diet, but as you drop to a certain BF level, one needs to compensate with more carbs to fuel a workout. Myself, as I mentioned, gotten to a point where I can't tap into much fat reserves due to my low body fat (under 10%) so a lot of carbs is needed in my case. I typically, burn 1200- 1700 calories a day on just exercise alone, not counting my basel metabolism calories.

Last edited by hawaiiancoconut; 08-18-2015 at 02:58 PM..

Old 08-18-2015, 03:01 PM

4,103 posts, read 6,999,727 times
Everybody's body chemistry is different. Some people thrive on low carb, some thrive on vegetarian, some thrive on vegan, some thrive on low fat, some thrive on percentages of carbs and protein- just find what works for you. There is no one diet that is right for everyone.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:21 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,948,313 times
being a CrossFitter, I drank the koolaid that many CFers do, which is that a low carb diet is what you need. Did it for a few months, felt terrible, and then a guy at the gym(who was the biggest/cuttest and most in shape there) told me about Eat To Perform, and Ive never looked back. After just a month of significantly raising my carb intake, I felt so much better, and bodyfat started to decrease, and performance in the gym went way up. However, I keep it to quality carbs....white/sweet potatoes, squash, quinoa, oats. For people that do high intensity training/strength training, starving yourself of a proper fuel is nonsense.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:54 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,184,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
They don't work very well for me. I lose weight the first couple of weeksand have more energy but I'm overly hungry and irritable. I've noticed that I actually tend to lose weight faster when I eat as many carbs as I want but eat less cals and work out. I've always done better weight wise and energy wise when I don't cut out carbs.
For every gram of carbohydrate you consume, your body retains 3 or 4 grams of water; drastically cutting carbs will inevitably lead to weight loss, but that initial loss is water-weight, not fat.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 08-18-2015 at 04:48 PM..

Old 08-18-2015, 04:14 PM

24 posts, read 41,052 times
Low carb, high fat works extremely well for everyone, IF you do it right. Start off by reading The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance by Phinney and Volek. Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore, and Wheat Belly Total Health by Dr. William Davis are also excellent in explaining this lifestyle.

Remember, humans have not eaten high carb for most of their time on Earth. Only about 10,000 years ago did the practice of consuming grains begin, and along with it many degenerative diseases such as arthritis, dental decay, blood sugar issues and digestive upset.

Athletic performance, and life in general, is so much more efficient and pleasant when you become able to burn fat for fuel, instead of being a sugar burner. It's called attaining a state of nutritional ketosis. Burning sugar, you'll be hungry frequently and experience blood sugar spikes and drops. Burning fat, you can go easily 8-10 hours between meals with no sugar spikes/drops. With stable blood sugars you'll never experience the inflammation and degenerative diseases caused by too much sugar. Do some research in order to find the correct way to go low carb high fat.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:19 PM

7 posts, read 6,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
I've tried numerous times after friends recommended that I go low carb. They say "give it some time". I gave it about three months last time and found that 1) I have low energy and drag a** to the point where it affects my performance at work. 2) My results aren't any better than going on a low calorie (but not low carb diet). I was reading a book called "Power Eating" which recommends that those who exercise regularly and lift weights to eat 70% carbohydrates. I'm about ready to try that. The book claims that low carb works great for 20% of the population but not-so-great for some people. Could some of us just be better suited to higher carb diets?

You are clearly confuse about the whole thing. I would like to recommend you a book but I am not sure I can do any recommendation here. So if you want to know PM me.
And just a general info. Carbohydrates is a must in your diet, even for diabetes or people who want to lose weight. Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness