Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 06:45 PM

138 posts, read 129,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post

It's part of it I'm afraid. Also your emotional grief possibly hasn't even really begun yet, your body is displaying physical pain instead.

Your physical symptoms make me wonder if you are still holding on and repressing a lot of grief? You need to express it. Time will heal and moving your body will help more than just about anything else but you have to let yourself cry and wail.

Goodness it is so soon, I think you're really doing awesome, considering.

Thanks. I'm doing okay, considering. I don't think I'm repressing my feelings, exactly, especially when I'm alone. I cry a lot every day, and I think about it a lot. I know myself well and have a good handle on what I'm feeling and where I'm at.

But I don't share a lot of the pain with others at this point. Good memories are what I talk about with family and friends, and even that I'm trying to taper off. When I share pain about his loss, I feel like my pain bleeds all over other people and makes them worry about me, so I've tried not to burden them with it too much. Of course, they can see I'm hurting, but they can't help me, so it just makes them feel worse when I talk about it. And that makes me feel worse. It's very lonely.

Nothing to do but carry on as best I can. I'm limping along right now, but I hope someday the pain will be less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I'm sorry for your loss. I commend you for your desire to get healthier. 15 minutes a day of walking is a very good start. I'd recommend adding a minute to that each day until you get up to at least half an hour. You might also want to start looking at what you are eating each day. Keeping a food log can be quite enlightening because most of us find it's the little bites that add up. Once you know what you are eating it's easy to make adjustments that will accelerate your weight loss. I wish you well on this new phase of your life.
Thanks! I don't think I can manage to add a minute each day, but maybe every few days or a week I can try that. It's a good way to add time gradually.

I've also thought about just splitting it up sometimes. Like maybe if I feel up to it later after recovering from the walk, then I can do a few more minutes of cardio at that point.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:01 PM

506 posts, read 957,943 times
Condolences to you OP. I know whats its like to lose someone very close like that. Take it slow and take your time and what feels comfortable for you. Take some outdoor walks and maybe get creative with it like walk with a friend through some trails or the park. Maybe walk job to mix it up for 15 mins. It sounds strange now, but after a while exercise does make you feel better and it does get addicting in a positive way. Maybe find a walking group on meetup.com to look for other people to socialize with while walking to take your mind off of things a bit.

Much luck to you getting started.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:43 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,259,494 times
Great DVDs for walking at home in a very small space: Leslie Sansone. Not as boring as it sounds, and there's a wide variety. You can get them really cheap on eBay. (Even cheaper for VHS tapes if you still have a player.)

Stretch bands take no storage space at all (they even travel well) and you can exercise lots of different muscles.

People do weight training, along with cardio, is in part because muscles burn more calories than fat. If you build up muscle, your resting metabolism will help do some of the weight-loss work.

Give yourself a pat on the back for staying motivated and don't look back when you have a bad day or two.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:36 PM

284 posts, read 378,845 times
sorry for your loss, and congrats on trying to get through this.

For days you want to stay in, try low-impact but fun things like dancing. Yup - just put on some of your favorite tunes and just move. Maybe walk up and down the stairs for 10 minutes. I find most exercise improves with music. Just get moving to the beat!

Old 09-01-2015, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
Condolences to you OP. I know whats its like to lose someone very close like that. Take it slow and take your time and what feels comfortable for you. Take some outdoor walks and maybe get creative with it like walk with a friend through some trails or the park. Maybe walk job to mix it up for 15 mins. It sounds strange now, but after a while exercise does make you feel better and it does get addicting in a positive way. Maybe find a walking group on meetup.com to look for other people to socialize with while walking to take your mind off of things a bit.

Much luck to you getting started.
Thank you! Hiking sounds like fun sometime.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post

People do weight training, along with cardio, is in part because muscles burn more calories than fat. If you build up muscle, your resting metabolism will help do some of the weight-loss work.
Good point. I'll look into some simple routines and see if I can mix them in.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
sorry for your loss, and congrats on trying to get through this.

For days you want to stay in, try low-impact but fun things like dancing. Yup - just put on some of your favorite tunes and just move. Maybe walk up and down the stairs for 10 minutes. I find most exercise improves with music. Just get moving to the beat!
Good idea with the dancing. I like it!

Old 09-01-2015, 01:02 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Everyone has to start where they have to start. For some, that's chair exercises. The beginning is the beginning. The idea is to start small. No exhaustion, no injuries, and build from there. And BTW, just so you know...those folks who start out doing too much and end up hurting themselves, well, it's just another form of self-sabotage. Then the excuse, I got hurt so I can't.

Start small. Be consistent. Do something you don't despise too much. And increase your activity over time.

One thing that really helped me become more generally active was buying a fitbit. It keeps track of steps walked. I can't cheat or just plain think I was more active than I really was. It's easy to use and it tracks over a long time period so you can see your improvements over time.

My condolences on the death of your H. I understand, I am a widow too.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:47 AM

840 posts, read 772,073 times
There are very good reasons to seriously consider cutting way back on grains & other carbs, while adding Organic Coconut oil to your diet. . . .

Coconut oil digests much easier than carbs . . .

It bypasses both liver & pancreas during digestion, unlike all other fats.

It does not get stored as fat, because it burns easier than carbohydrates!

It makes one feel satiated sooner, improves digestion, regulates insulin, and is Ready Energy . . .

So, you won't tire out due to low blood sugar. It is a very healthy replacement for carbs!

"Coconut Oil Raises Energy and Boosts Metabolism"
http://www.diabeticseniors.com/coconut-oil/

"Coconut Oil and Chili Peppers Together Increases Thermogenesis Leading to Weight Loss"
http://coconutoil.com/coconut-oil-an...o-weight-loss/

"Coconut Oil - A Gift From The Tropics"
http://ezinearticles.com/?Coconut-Oi...ics&id=6204839

It has been shown to raise good cholesterol, and, regulate thyroid function, as well. Plus, it seriously boosts the immune system by its antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, antiprotazoal, and anti-inflammatory properties.

My family uses it, and so do our pets . . . with obvious benefits. We started out purchasing it in small amounts at HFSs, but since seeing how beneficial it is, we've begun buying it in bulk.

My Deepest Condolences on your recent Loss! You may want to give this a read, as well:

"Facing the Loss of Your Mate"
http://www.jw.org/en/publications/ma...rrection-hope/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness