Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 10:17 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,947,491 times

Advertisements

I have not gained a pound in the last 10 years but the proportions are shifting. My face gets thinner and my belly gets bigger. I am working my a$$ off to keep my belly flat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 10:32 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,315,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Nope I think its all in your mind. I'm on a get fit binge and its just as painful as it was 20 years ago but no more so.

You've only gotten older in your head. You no longer WANT to dance all night.

Also, you've plateaued. You need to switch it up a bit, try yoga or swimming or dance or running.
Same for me. I'm 41 and working out and staying in shape is no harder or easier than it was when I was 21. I have noticed no obvious decline in metabolism, and workouts seem to yield the same results. I'll check back in at age 50 with an update.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:46 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,315,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Margin of error goes way down and workout recovery time goes up. In my 20s i could kill a whole pizza, do a 2 hour workout and be good. Now i'm in my early 30s and that same pizza will make my ass jiggle for a month while those longer workouts, which I no longer really have time for, do a real number on me.

I think most people get caught off guard, eating the way they always and there is no alarm that goes off saying "hey, metabolism is dropping, back the hell off the buffet table."

If youre 35 or even 45 and youre still eating the same as you did when you were 25, you better be blessed with some incredible genetics or be a pro athlete, otherwise you dun goofed.

The answer for me has been to eat less calories and to make each one count more by eating a more nutritionally dense diet.
By how much does a typical person's metabolism really slow down with age, though? I think the degree of slow down (if any) gets greatly exaggerated by many folks. I have read numerous studies printed in physiological/endocrinology-themed journals that seem to indicate that the metabolism does slow down 'slightly' as one ages, but it's typically not the big drop-off that many people believe. A lot of folks believe that once they hit 40 or 50 or 35 (or whatever cut-off age) that all of a sudden their metabolisms drop by 1000 calories a day or something like that. But all the studies I have read on that subject seem to indicate the rate of metabolic decline (for most people) is very small. But often compounding that small drop in metabolism is a very real drop in physical activity as one ages, along with declines in muscle mass, which contributes a small drop in energy requirements. Other factors can play a role such as deficiencies in thyroid, testosterone, and growth hormone, as well as problems with insulin/blood sugar regulation, excess cortisol secretion, etc.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:04 PM

192 posts, read 249,527 times
Doesn't this have to do with muscle loss as you get older? I thought the idea was that our bodies begin to lose muscle as we age, which reduces our metabolic rate. The problem is that people don't adjust their eating habits to their new rate--they continue to eat as if they're burning an extra 200-300 calories per day. As a result, the pounds slowly creep up. In any case, it sounds like the solution is to lift more weights and replenish some of the muscle that has been lost.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:35 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,226,222 times
I didn't really work out when I was younger, so I can't really compare too much. But the main thing now is just balancing all of the responsibilities that conspire to keep many adults from working out and eating properly.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:18 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,835,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I have not gained a pound in the last 10 years but the proportions are shifting. My face gets thinner and my belly gets bigger. I am working my a$$ off to keep my belly flat
Same here! I always had a flat belly, even within weeks of giving birth 3 times. But, I swear, I woke up one morning when I was about 42, and I saw I had a bit of a belly. I now have to more carefully watch my diet and increase my cardio to keep it off.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:44 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,281,440 times
Yep. I was talking with a doctor about this a while back. Her comment was that you have to keep reducing portion sizes as you get older.

It's hard, but I'm trying to get my food intake down to where I'm not hungry, but I haven't eaten too much. As a personal experiment, I'm working on having food for sustenance instead of because it tastes good. For instance, instead of some tasty eggs with a little Parmesan cheese and salsa for breakfast, I'm eating a boiled egg instead. No desire to overeat, but the boiled egg meets the initial need for food. I've also given up coffee which seems to bloat me and make me crave more carbs and sweets. Lunch is a portioned out size of some protein and healthier carbs in the form of vegetables. I may have a starch in there such as a tortilla or one slice of bread, but I limit the amount. I snack as I get hungry, but it has to be something healthy like a fruit or vegetable or something that contains protein. Supper is something the family will like. I limit my portions. If I want dessert, I have it, but keep it a small portion limited to a specific small bowl I have. Also, drinking lots of water.

I'm walking two miles in the morning. I walk another two miles in the evening with my husband. It seems to be helping. I've lost some pounds, but am also slimming down. Would like to go back to the gym for toning, but it isn't in the budget for right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness