Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 09:30 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,494,196 times

Advertisements

Please forgive me is this is a dumb question.

Could someone explain the difference between yoga and pilates? Would either be a good choice to help me get my abs in shape?

If so, I would appreciate it if you could recommend a DVD to try at home. I'm not very coordinated so I'd rather try yoga or pilates out at home without an audience, at least at the very beginning. My dog won't be able to laugh at me too hard.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 09:33 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,754,224 times
Oh, I don't know...my dog laughs at me all the time. Sorry, but I don't know the answer to your question; I just walk and run and do situps.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:08 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,458 times
Either Pilates or yoga will get your abs in shape; but I'd say Pilates targets the abs more and therefore perhaps would give you quicker results if strong abs are your main goal.

Jennifer Kries' Method Precision Toning (an older video) is a good one for beginners, and a favorite of mine,but there are lots of other choices. Hilary Burnett is another good instructor with beginner, intermediate and advanced Pilates workout DVDs.

Videofitness.com has consumer reviews of exercise videos, plus forums where you could get lots of advice and ideas on workout videos.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:39 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
I thought for pilates you needed one of those pilates "machiney device thingamaroos" with the pulleys. I didnt know it could be done from home via a DVD.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:51 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I thought for pilates you needed one of those pilates "machiney device thingamaroos" with the pulleys. I didnt know it could be done from home via a DVD.
Well, there's Pilates matwork, which you can do at home w/ a dvd; then there's the machine, called a reformer. Actually, if you're able to afford the reformer, there are dvds to go with that, too.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:40 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,494,196 times
Thanks so much, Ellise, for your reply. I will check out Jennifer Kries and Hilary Burnett's videos.

If anyone else has some insight, please do post. I don't know much about yoga or pilates so I'm very interested to learn more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Either Pilates or yoga will get your abs in shape; but I'd say Pilates targets the abs more and therefore perhaps would give you quicker results if strong abs are your main goal.

Jennifer Kries' Method Precision Toning (an older video) is a good one for beginners, and a favorite of mine,but there are lots of other choices. Hilary Burnett is another good instructor with beginner, intermediate and advanced Pilates workout DVDs.

Videofitness.com has consumer reviews of exercise videos, plus forums where you could get lots of advice and ideas on workout videos.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:34 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,199,376 times
Yoga and pilates are totally different movements and philosophies. Yoga is about calming the mind and controlling the breath as it tones. Pilates, depending on the level, is more intense and it too tones the entire body with the emphasis on your core. I love Windsor Pilates. Start with the beginer DVD and work up from there. You can do it three or four days a week and along with watching your diet, will see results. I like Yoga when I need to tune out the world and Pilates for an actual workout.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:50 AM

36 posts, read 136,523 times
Ellise and Puffle, your discussions/comments concerning differences in pilates/yoga are very helpful! Both have been recommended to me because of fibromyalgia. I have the Windsor Pilates series and have started with the beginner series. So far, so good. Thanks!

Old 09-15-2008, 10:29 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,618,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermintpatt View Post
Ellise and Puffle, your discussions/comments concerning differences in pilates/yoga are very helpful! Both have been recommended to me because of fibromyalgia. I have the Windsor Pilates series and have started with the beginner series. So far, so good. Thanks!
With fibro you might want to be careful when choosing a style of yoga. Some can be quite strenuous. Ask if you can sit in on a class before you join.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:31 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,618,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I have a friend who, like me, goes to her client's homes to teach private lessons. Her specialty is pilates, and all she needs is some floor space and a thin mat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness