Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 05:11 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,872,192 times

Advertisements

I am in my 30s but have early onset arthritis (genetic condition, OA not RA). I am finding myself less and less fit as I give into it. Its painful. But I am gaining weight, my muscles are getting tight. I feel terrible.

I need to start getting back in shape.

My left foot is the most impacted. The podiatrist told me 0 weight bearing on it for exercise. I tried swimming but it hurt as much as using an elliptical.

I have one shoulder and one knee really affected. But not as bad as my foot. I know running (I used to be a runner) and even walking for fitness is out. Swimming...blah, I hate it. I'm actually afraid of riding a bike as I saw a fatal bike/car accident as a teen.

I am thinking of joining a really good gym. They offer aqua exercise for those with arthritis. I will be the youngest by 30 years. And I am not sure it will be all that helpful. How good could it be???

I could hire a personal trainer...one who can work within my limitations.

I could start yoga...even at home, to loosen up my tight muscles. Boxing? Ect?

Basically my options are limitless (financial wise).

What would you do? Or suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 06:28 PM

33,204 posts, read 26,388,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I am in my 30s but have early onset arthritis (genetic condition, OA not RA). I am finding myself less and less fit as I give into it. Its painful. But I am gaining weight, my muscles are getting tight. I feel terrible.

I need to start getting back in shape.

My left foot is the most impacted. The podiatrist told me 0 weight bearing on it for exercise. I tried swimming but it hurt as much as using an elliptical.

I have one shoulder and one knee really affected. But not as bad as my foot. I know running (I used to be a runner) and even walking for fitness is out. Swimming...blah, I hate it. I'm actually afraid of riding a bike as I saw a fatal bike/car accident as a teen.

I am thinking of joining a really good gym. They offer aqua exercise for those with arthritis. I will be the youngest by 30 years. And I am not sure it will be all that helpful. How good could it be???

I could hire a personal trainer...one who can work within my limitations.

I could start yoga...even at home, to loosen up my tight muscles. Boxing? Ect?

Basically my options are limitless (financial wise).

What would you do? Or suggest?
It's hard when your options are limited. But you seem to indicate that you could ride a bike, but are afraid to. In that case, get a stationary bike and use it in your home. That would be for cardio vascular exercise. But you still need strengthening exercises and stretching for flexibility.

Apparently, the arthritis foundation has good things to say about aqua exercises for those with arthritis.
'Aquatic exercises help decrease pain and improve function for people who suffer arthritis, according to the Arthritis Foundation. This is an option for people who are sedentary or intimidated by regular aerobic and strength-training exercises.'

Read more: Aquatic Exercises for Arthritis | LIVESTRONG.COM
You should discuss your options with a physician and a physical therapist. They can design an exercise program for you that won't exceed your limitations.

You might want to read this article. How to Exercise When You Have Arthritis

For what it's worth, one exercise I can suggest for your abs, is the abdominal plank. It's simply a position that you hold isometrically and which will strengthen those muscles without aggravating your arthritis. At least I would think so. Here's a video about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvxNkmjdhMM

I hope I said something that's of some help.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:52 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,048,332 times
That's a tough one. I would consider something along the lines of the basic machine program in this link.

Beginning Weight Training Part 4 : BodyRecomposition

You'd need to drop the calf raises and swap leg press for leg extensions, but it might be doable with lighter weight and higher reps to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness