Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 07:09 PM

84 posts, read 100,848 times

Advertisements

Definitely not "obese" or even close to overweight here, and I can't stand the LA weather (lived there long enough to know...lol). To each his/her own, of course, but I personally find that it's much easier to be active when it's cooler out.

Now that I left SoCal, I'm finding myself a lot more active outdoors through the fall, winter, and spring seasons. Where I was confined to the gym for most of my activity in SoCal, where I am now, I'm able to do a wide variety of activities out in the fresh air.

Matter of fact, I really dread the summer months now. Sweating as a result of walking across the parking lot?! Yeah, not for me.

Personal preference, imo, don't know how much this has to do with body composition/weight of the individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 08:06 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I think people just have different preferences. I am a native Floridian, and for the most part I LOVE the weather here. I like warm/hot and don't mind humidity. I am fit and active, not overweight. There are only a couple of months where it feels too uncomfortable to me. I despise when it gets cold, and it does get cold here a couple months of the year. I love wearing summer clothes like sundresses and bathing suits, and HATE covering up in pants/jackets. My sister (who is overweight) despises the heat and moved to Wisconsin decades ago.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:20 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I think people just have different preferences. .
Yeah, but it seems those preferences are directly related to weight which is why I started this thread. Heavier people = love the cold (or when the weather is colder); Athletic/fit people = love the summer (or when the weather is hotter).

I just find this fascinating.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:23 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Yeah, but it seems those preferences are directly related to weight which is why I started this thread. Heavier people = love the cold (or when the weather is colder); Athletic/fit people = love the summer (or when the weather is hotter).

Nah. I'm in decent shape, but just have never been keen on hot weather, whether working out or sitting around doing nothing. I prefer the rush and of breathing in ice-cold air, peeling off layers as I go. Spring and fall? Now you're talking, but summer? No friggin way.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:10 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
I hate the hot weather. If it's over 85 or so, I feel like I constantly need a shower. When the sun is bright and bleating all day long it makes me feel tired. It's hard to sleep since AC isn't common here. All my clothes smell like sunscreen for like 3 months straight.

My weight has never affected my disdain for the heat though. I love the cold and certainly don't mind the grey winters around here. Plus fall and winter beers signal that it's my favorite time of year.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:30 PM

424 posts, read 430,991 times
Quote:
This is one of the things that has always fascinated me. I grew up here in Los Angeles. I've traveled all over the world, but plan on living here and dying here because I dont think there is any place better (unless its tropical) because of the weather. All of my FB friends who are in the overweight/obese category, seem to HATE the wonderful nice 90+ degree weather we have here. They all post things about how miserable it is and how they LOVE colder weather that comes with Halloween and Christmas.

Now, its like its 99% of those who are overweight and non-fit post things about how they hate the hot weather and long for cold weather; and its like 99% of those who are fit/healthy post about how "wonderful" the 90+ degree weather is. Why is that? I LOVE the hotter weather. I love being outside, running, hiking, going to the beach, wearing shorts and tees and just loving life when the weather is hotter. My heavier friends seem to long for the days of wearing jackets, pants and hoodies.

Does the weather really affect the overweight more than regular weight people? Or, do they feel more comfortable in colder weather being more "covered up" as opposed to warmer weather having to wear shorts and tanks/tees? Its just one of those things that has fascinated me, but I have not come up with an answer as to why the overweight loathe the heat so much and love the cold, and why the fit seem love the warmer weather and are less excited about colder weather.
Well this is pretty much a no-brainer, doncha think?

Of course if you're morbidly obese and have trouble just ambulating efficiently and breathing during your every day routines that hot and humid weather is going to make it harder on you, and bother you more than it would somebody who is trim and fit and has a good cardiovascular system.

And conversely, these guys will often cope with colder weather better, as their added body fat percentage is higher than that of a fit person. So it acts as insulation. Duh. All animals naturally develop more fat and also sometimes more body weight in the colder winter months. They become more sedentary, their metabolism slows. Their fur thickens. Homo sapien is no different. (well, except for maybe the fur part, but then again a lot of men grow beards or let their hair grow longer!)

My boss here, our college AD, is about 40 lbs. overweight. I always freeze my butt of when I go into his office during the summer months here. I swear he keeps it so cold you could hang meat in there. It must be about 60 degrees. This is tough on us slender guys, as we have less fat insulation to ward off the cold.

This physiological dynamic can be scene in Anthropology and with a cursory observation of the World' different peoples. How many fat Africans do you see? LOL. Usually lanky and low body fat, right? Then when you get up to the colder countries like in Siberia and Northern Europe and the Scandinavian countries you'll find they usually have higher body fat. And you'll notice a higher-rate of obesity that in the hot-weather climes. (Although, being an American and seeing what we have here, I don't think any country can compare to us when it comes to the percentage of overweight and heat-intolerant people!

Loves the cold!!!....

Not so much!.......

Old 09-18-2015, 12:43 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:

I've been both and no, being trim does not equal loving heat. I have never been a fan of anything over about 75F and my preferred temperature has remained the same during my entire life regardless of my size. I will grant that being heavy in the heat is more uncomfortable because there are more places for the sweat to gather, but even as a skinny minny I loathed being hot and sticky

Old 09-18-2015, 01:09 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times
I think the op and I are the only people in CD who love the warm and hot weather.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:21 PM

424 posts, read 430,991 times
^^^^^^

Wrong. there are at least three of us. I grew up in SoCal and Texas and live in AZ. I love the heat. The hotter the better, as long as I can dress appropriately. I'm running a 5K Mud Run tomorrow down in the Valley and hope it's around 90 degrees!

Old 09-18-2015, 05:24 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
I think the op and I are the only people in CD who love the warm and hot weather.
I do! I actually prefer it right around 90 in the summer IF it isn't humid out (which is rare on the East Coast). It's the perfect weather for a sun dress and flip flops

Now, I don't care for sweating...so if it's hot AND humid I would rather be indoors.

Just this week it got down to the mid-40's overnight, and I was FREEZING when I left my house in the early morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness