Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 07:31 PM

7,982 posts, read 10,319,085 times

Advertisements

So my podiatrist made me some custom orthotics to combat nagging plantar fasciitis and a heel spur. I am going shopping for new running shoes tomorrow. My question is, do I put these insoles in over the regular insoles in the shoes or do I take the insoles that come with the shoe out and replace them with the custom ones? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 08:23 PM

9,480 posts, read 16,369,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
So my podiatrist made me some custom orthotics to combat nagging plantar fasciitis and a heel spur. I am going shopping for new running shoes tomorrow. My question is, do I put these insoles in over the regular insoles in the shoes or do I take the insoles that come with the shoe out and replace them with the custom ones? TIA!
I've been wearing Orthotics since 1983. Not to brag, but I have learned a whole lot about them in all those years.

Many people do take out the insole including me. Reason being the Orthotics take up much needed room in a shoe. Depending on the type of Orthotic and the thickness, bulkiness, they can make your feet feel tight in the shoe. So you remove that sock liner (insole). Sadly many Podiatrist will not even tell you that.

On a side note. I want to caution you with orthotics and Podiatrist themselves. If your someone that is really into running be careful with Orthotics. My very first pair caused me severe knee problems that led to surgery. They were to firm and hard for someone my smaller size. When I had the surgery for chronic patella tendonitis. I was told splinters of bone were found in the Tendon. It was coming from slamming down on those rigid hard orthotics. I then had to get a softer type orthotic and it worked miracles. You really need a good Podiatrist that will take their time with you. Everything today is money and insurance companies. I also found very few Podiatrist will recommend running shoes that compliment your particular orthotic. Believe me you have to get the right shoes, or your feet will always feel tight in the shoe, and you will develop new foot problems because of the tightness.

I recommend finding a specialized running store, with employees that know their shoes. Employees that have some familiarity with fitting shoes to your orthotic. I have been doing this for years, and it can be a very frustrating experience buying shoes that will fit the damn orthotic. I generally go with Brooks shoes, because they are known for the better fit for Orthotics. I wear the Brooks Dyad, as I found it is the most roomiest with the Orthotic.

Oh yes even though you take out the insole. Get yourself the very thin Spenco insert so your footl rests on something besides the hard inside of the shoe. That is if your orthotic is not the full size of the shoe type.

Good luck. I hope your orthotics will be a big help to you.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:37 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,809,339 times
My son wore orthotics made by a podiatrist when he was young. We had to take out the foot cushion that came with the shoes to make the orthotics fit in the shoe properly.

If the foot cushion slips out easily (most do) than you can take them out in the store & slip the orthotics inside the shoes & see how they feel.

These days in stores there aren't even sales people to help or notice. <g>

If you don't buy the shoes just be nice & slip the original foot cushions back in properly.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the advice. In the past, I have taken the insole out and replaced them with my orthotics. However, after about a year, I developed a stress fracture. My orthotics are very hard. They are also a full size insert. My concern is that if I take the insole the comes with the shoes out, that there will be little or no cushion, making for even more problems (like stress fractures). If I leave them in and put my orthotics in over them, then it's nearly impossible to find shoes that fit.

I have tried the specialized running stores and never had a good experience. They all basically told me that running hurts and that I need to just deal with some pain.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:13 AM

1,760 posts, read 2,087,885 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. In the past, I have taken the insole out and replaced them with my orthotics. However, after about a year, I developed a stress fracture. My orthotics are very hard. They are also a full size insert. My concern is that if I take the insole the comes with the shoes out, that there will be little or no cushion, making for even more problems (like stress fractures). If I leave them in and put my orthotics in over them, then it's nearly impossible to find shoes that fit.

I have tried the specialized running stores and never had a good experience. They all basically told me that running hurts and that I need to just deal with some pain.
I don't have any info on orthotics but the bolded part really bothered me. Yes running hurts but like a good hurt, like you worked hard and your muscles are working hurt not a severe pain, or shin splints or fractures or knee pain hurt. If they told you that, they are very horrible sales people and need jobs in other stores that are not specialized in running gear. I went to a specialized store yesterday because I'm prone to shin splint and other not so fun pains...the guy that helped me said that if it is hurting and it is unbearable, then something is wrong and usually that something is your shoes. I'm sorry you've had a bad experience. I hope you can find shoes that work for you and that you no longer feel pain and discomfort.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:52 PM

Even though you need to pull out the insole that comes with the shoe. You really need some support under the orthotic, if your having problems with shock absorption. The Spenco one's I mentioned are very thin but offer excellent support. I wouldn't be without them. They take up next to nothing for room in the shoe. You just stick them in the shoe, then insert your orthotic. You will immediately feel a softer more comfortable feel. Those thin inserts can mean the difference between safety and comfort. Or without them you are almost assured, of stress fractures in the foot or shin splits. You need some good shock absorption, no two ways about it.

If you do decide to get them, then you will have to deal with the specialized running stores. Or perhaps Dicks, or other sporting good stores. I know I never seem to have any luck with Dicks, no matter what I am looking for in a sporting goods store.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:05 PM

Thanks, everyone. I'm going to check out another running store later this week.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:29 PM

***UPDATE***
I checked out another running store, and they were awesome! They put in me in a pair of Hoka One One shoes, and I LOVE them! I have never even heard of them before, but they are the best shoes ever. Because I am just coming off the stress fracture, I can't run in them yet. But I've been walking in them until the doc clears me to start running again (hopefully next week). They feel great. I can also replace the insoles with my orthotics or use both my orthotics and the insole that comes with them because it's so thin. Just a really well-designed shoe.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
***UPDATE***
I checked out another running store, and they were awesome! They put in me in a pair of Hoka One One shoes, and I LOVE them! I have never even heard of them before, but they are the best shoes ever. Because I am just coming off the stress fracture, I can't run in them yet. But I've been walking in them until the doc clears me to start running again (hopefully next week). They feel great. I can also replace the insoles with my orthotics or use both my orthotics and the insole that comes with them because it's so thin. Just a really well-designed shoe.

I've never heard of them either. I hope these shoes will work with your Orthotic, and give you some comfort and peace of mind. There is nothing worse that foot problems, the feet impact so much of the body.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:36 PM

18,754 posts, read 27,181,960 times
OP, if you want to listen to a Certified Orthotist suggestion... Who also happens to make hell of good inserts. Or, orthotics, supports, whatever.
You need to place your FULL size inserts into the shoes INSTEAD of factory insoles. If properly made, customs do not tolerate any additional wedges etc underneath them, as that throws them out of kilter. As the result, it mal aligns your feet and then that mal aligns entire spine down the road.
For running, you need semi flexible inserts, ones that move with your foot changing shape as you run. Also, running, toes range of motion plays major role in foot function, so you should benefit from the so called 3/4 inserts, ones that terminate at metatarsal heads. Then they have simple soft flap for toes area. Personally, I practically never make them longer.
Deep heel cup and some cushion in it will benefit you as it's rather huge impact on calcaneus when you heel strike running.
Personally, I do not recommend any covers for runners, as they become soiled and messy very fast and are normally hard to clean.
I use Proflex due to its designed flexibility. Good luck finding someone who will make them for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness