Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 10:21 PM

35 posts, read 70,991 times

Advertisements

I'm 5'11"(180cm), 194 lbs(88kg, a bit chubby) and am a total begginer. I have some karate and taekwondo experience but that was way too long ago to actually matter. I intend to buy myself a punching bag and after some researching here's the basics of what I found:

It needs to be about half my weight (so around 100lbs/45kg), filled with water ot textile and have a height of around 50-60 inches (120/150cm).

In a local store I found 2 options: one is 80 lbs (35kg) 50 inch (120cm) and the other is 100 lbs (45kg) 60 inch (150cm). Both are textile filled. Which one seems better for me?

My biggest problem so far is the fact that my appartment has a high ceiling - around 9'7" (292cm). From what I have seen online it seems the perfect height is when the height of the punching bag matches your own (meaning my face faces it's uppermost part). The chain itself seems roughly 20 inches (50cm) and with a punching bag with a height of 50 inches (120 cm) I am left with it's lowest part facing my face which doesn't seem good. With the larger bag (60inches/150cm) things are a bit better but still far from perfect (my face barely reaches the middle of the bag).

How fatal is that? Is it very bad/stupid to make it so high?

(I did look at punching bags that stand on the ground but they are literally 2 times more expensive and I don't have that kind of cash so it's not really an option. Same thing goes for those stands that you can place the bag on instead of the ceiling - not an option).

Here's a rough sketch of how the bag would look in proportion to myself with the 2 options I described (numbers are in centimeters and not feet/inches, sry about that) - http://pasteboard.co/17f53Iuh.png

Last edited by irrelevant; 10-03-2015 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: Fixed link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 02:09 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,297,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irrelevant View Post
I'm 5'11"(180cm), 194 lbs(88kg, a bit chubby) and am a total begginer. I have some karate and taekwondo experience but that was way too long ago to actually matter. I intend to buy myself a punching bag and after some researching here's the basics of what I found:

It needs to be about half my weight (so around 100lbs/45kg), filled with water ot textile and have a height of around 50-60 inches (120/150cm).

In a local store I found 2 options: one is 80 lbs (35kg) 50 inch (120cm) and the other is 100 lbs (45kg) 60 inch (150cm). Both are textile filled. Which one seems better for me?

My biggest problem so far is the fact that my appartment has a high ceiling - around 9'7" (292cm). From what I have seen online it seems the perfect height is when the height of the punching bag matches your own (meaning my face faces it's uppermost part). The chain itself seems roughly 20 inches (50cm) and with a punching bag with a height of 50 inches (120 cm) I am left with it's lowest part facing my face which doesn't seem good. With the larger bag (60inches/150cm) things are a bit better but still far from perfect (my face barely reaches the middle of the bag).

How fatal is that? Is it very bad/stupid to make it so high?

(I did look at punching bags that stand on the ground but they are literally 2 times more expensive and I don't have that kind of cash so it's not really an option. Same thing goes for those stands that you can place the bag on instead of the ceiling - not an option).

Here's a rough sketch of how the bag would look in proportion to myself with the 2 options I described (numbers are in centimeters and not feet/inches, sry about that) - Pasteboard — Uploaded Image
There is no way you can bolt a punching bag setup into an apartment ceiling. Even if you bolt it into a stud it will still be too much force when you hit or kick it.

I have tried attaching a punching bag to a major support beam in the basement of a house. It was ok for punching or muay thai style round kicks but for power kicks like sidekicks it seemed like it was too much stress on the support beam. What worked out well was setting up an old swing set in the backyard and hanging the punching bag on that.

Its better to get a Century Wavemaster than pay $$$ for apartment repairs. Even better do bodyweight calisthenics like John Peterson's "Pushing yourself to Power" or Matt Furey's "Combat Conditioning" and forget the punching bag.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:04 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,080,376 times
why not join a boxing or muay thai gym? your training will not be complete without sparring.

Also, let's face reality in a couple of months the novelty will wear off and you are no longer using the bag in your apt.

If i were you i would invest in a jump rope, 25 lb dumbbells, exercise band and a yoga mat. These can be your at-home workout tools.

I live in NYC and i go to a regular gym (58.00) for my cardio/weight training and a boxing gym in a pay as i go membership (25.00).

Last edited by Mr. Ryu; 10-05-2015 at 08:23 AM..

Old 10-05-2015, 03:23 PM

4,560 posts, read 5,414,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irrelevant View Post

My biggest problem so far is the fact that my appartment has a ..........
And this is where I stopped reading.

If you live in an apartment, there is no way you can have a heavy bag. You will be evicted sooner than you can say "jab, jab, hook, cross". Not only do you need to install into a stud/beam for safety, but when you hit a bag it is LOUD. Louder than the most understanding of neighbors would put up with.

Join a gym that has boxing/heavy bags. That will be your best bet.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:43 PM

77 posts, read 74,262 times
all I can tell you is that the optimum height for a heavy bag is to have the top of your head--your height--to be even with a line about 3/4ths up the bag from the bottom of it.

I would go with the 80 lb. bag. Wear wrist wraps which they have now so your don't have to tape them. They'll be with the boxing gloves at your sporting goods store.

For gloves I like the 8 oz. ones for hitting the heavy bag. For the speed bag I usually just wear anything I have that's light, like an old work glove or evne a golf glove. You don't need any padding, just a thin layer of leather to keep your knuckles from getting scraped.

they DO have kick-bags that stand on their own, ya know. They are quite a bit lighter than the ones you're talking about and stand on a anchored base about 30" diameter and about 10" high. they're OK to hit like you would a heavy bag, to practice body shots, but they're also made more for martial arts kicks too. But these are good for an apartment. (BTW_-are you sure your landlord is OK with you hanging a heavy bag?) LOL. You do know you have to screw those into a ceiling joist, right? Makes a pretty big hole. Plus the noise of its gonna be heard from an upstairs neighbor if you have one.

The one drawback I don't like form those portable kick bags is that to me it seems that base gets in the way of my feet, like if I move in for a hook to the midsection or a upper-cut. So ya have to keep your foot back just a little more than you would with a hanging bag, maybe about half a foot or so, which doesn't sound like much but I notice it all the time and its annoying, throws off your technique and really saps power from uppercuts.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:51 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
UHHHHHHH, wut......someone actually plans on hanging a punching bag, LOL, in an apartment?????

Do you like getting evicted and sued????

Old 10-09-2015, 10:59 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,080,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
UHHHHHHH, wut......someone actually plans on hanging a punching bag, LOL, in an apartment?????

Do you like getting evicted and sued????
He is going to hang it and use it 1 - 3 x times top and then never use it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness