Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you train your legs?
Never 7 7.61%
Rarely 10 10.87%
Sometimes 14 15.22%
Always 61 66.30%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 02:14 PM

589 posts, read 696,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
But random gym bros don't care about any of that. They want what they see in movies, and what they hear women want: Big arms, and abs.
Exactly. There is one good thing about this though. It means the leg equipment is usually empty. If only the curl bros would stop using the squat rack for curls though. A meme has never been more true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 03:26 PM

73 posts, read 85,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Seriously? He's like a bad penny, isn't he?
sorry..no idea what macbane is talking about. or you with bad penny.

I played basketball only as a kid, recreationally but not in high school. hockey was always my deal. and wrestling. i dont want to get caught up in a huge deal on semantics on this leg thing. call those exercises what you want. since all you guys seem to be experts. LOL.

I was just thinking leg work to be exercises that are strictly legs, unlike snatches and deadlifts where you're almost working the whole body. Never been a big weight guy anyway, at UM I weighed only 170, a RW and one of the lightest guys on the team. but also one of the fastest. and I didn't get my speed from doing leg work with weights. so I guess we all have our different methods. those of us who actually competed at the upper level.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:25 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Seriously? He's like a bad penny, isn't he?
If nothing else, he has provided me with a lot of entertainment.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:17 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
And of course now that I say that everyone will chime in to say they don't neglect their legs.

Go into any gym and you'll always see the benchpress and free weights occupied with people doing arm exercises. The ab machines are also popular. However, the leg machines and squat racks are barely used (unless someone's using the squat racks for more curls ).

Have I only been going to crappy gyms or is this how your gym is, too? How often do you train your legs in comparison to your arms?
Well, I come to find out people skip legs, meaning skipping the squats and deads, because those two are the most exhausting things someone can do. While they are indeed compound lifts, they incorporate the legs more so than anything else, and that is in itself exhausting relative to other weight lifting exercises.

A lot of people do not like the feeling, and a lot of people do feel a bit of apprehension because of the load on the back. So couple that with the legs are not part of the "gun show", you have a lot of people just skipping the intense leg sets, and maybe just hopping on a machine, or just letting nature take its course though other things they do.

I and probably two others, including one girl, are the only ones I have seen squat at my gym, but I see a few deadlifting though it is an absurdly light weight.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:03 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
^ I don't get it, Boxus. Deads are my favorite lift. Nothing short of exhilarating, though I agree exhausting. I've come to enjoy them even more than benchpress. Squats...different story altogether. I do 'em, but it's like eating my vegetables. It's certainly not because I enjoy it!

Old 10-29-2015, 08:44 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
The vast majority of people do not like squatting heavy weight. It's too intimidating and exhausting. The squat is a risky lift, certainly riskier than the bench press or deadlift. Placing heavy weights on your back isn't for everyone. The squat is my best lift but I can't say that I enjoy it all that much. I do like the results though. That's why I keep doing them.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:38 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap_Shot View Post
sorry..no idea what macbane is talking about. or you with bad penny.

I played basketball only as a kid, recreationally but not in high school. hockey was always my deal. and wrestling. i dont want to get caught up in a huge deal on semantics on this leg thing. call those exercises what you want. since all you guys seem to be experts. LOL.

I was just thinking leg work to be exercises that are strictly legs, unlike snatches and deadlifts where you're almost working the whole body. Never been a big weight guy anyway, at UM I weighed only 170, a RW and one of the lightest guys on the team. but also one of the fastest. and I didn't get my speed from doing leg work with weights. so I guess we all have our different methods. those of us who actually competed at the upper level.
UM as in University of Michigan or are you talking about Minnesota?

I grew up in Lansing and graduated HS in 1993, I had a couple of friends that went to UofM to play hockey, maybe you know them? When were you in A2?

Old 10-30-2015, 08:04 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
^ I don't get it, Boxus. Deads are my favorite lift. Nothing short of exhilarating, though I agree exhausting. I've come to enjoy them even more than benchpress. Squats...different story altogether. I do 'em, but it's like eating my vegetables. It's certainly not because I enjoy it!
Deadlift was the opposite for me. It was incredibly intimidating to learn and I'm still terrified I'm going to throw out my back. Only recently have I started doing heavy (by my standards) deadlift because I needed to be comfortable with my form.

Squats are another story for me. My shoulders aren't flexible enough to not be killing me with any substantial weight. I have been doing walking lunges with a bar on my back to start to get comfortable in that position but heavy squats still feel like they're a long way off. I can certainly understand why people are intimidated by these two lifts because I was and still am.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:25 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
I'm with you, 1orlando. I always train my legs. Most people act like they don't even know how to train them and only do ego reps.

When on the leg press, you'll see guys load up the plates but do a few half-reps. Squatters will do the same thing. Then there's the guys who see you deadlifting or squatting and then go on the smith machine to try to "outdo" you with the same weight. Uh... sorry, it doesn't work that way.

Again, maybe it's just my gym. Like I said in another thread, everytime I do squats the "curl crew" stares in confusion and then proceeds to get on the squat rack next to me to do curls. I think this is a curl junkie's method of competing without using his legs.
It is not just your gym, I have trained in different gyms over the years and it isnthe same thing. They use the squat racks for curling or to do shoulder training or something other than leg training. There is a squat machine in my gym that a lot of people use for shoulder press . Plus every time I ask someone at my shop who also goes to the same gym about their leg training they give me the exact same excuses for not training legs. "Oh I can't do squats or lunges or leg presses because I have bad knees" or "my back hurts" or "I can't balance myself" etc. It is almost cliche

Old 10-30-2015, 02:54 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,023 times
I love leg day. I enjoy doing legs way more than doing chest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness