Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 11:47 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,614,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
I have lived for five years near two large gyms run by a large national chain. They are open almost all the time, they have most any weights or equipment you want, they have cardio equipment, they have classes, they only cost $250/year. Granted they are not perfect, parking and the locker rooms are to be desired, but they are only $250 a year.

In recent years I have noticed a half dozen mini gyms open near me, and that does not even include yoga studios. One is a Curves, female only gym, and I can understand why some women would prefer such a gym. But what is the advantage of these mini gyms to most men? They cost 2-5 times more, they are not open as many hours, and they do not have as much variety. Why? Why? Why?
Well I think part of the reason for the popularity is today's society"s new trendy nature. You know "The Bandwagon Factor" those mini gyms are trendy and many people follow trends and jump on the Bandwagon. Those mini gyms do offer an alternative to the big box companies. Kind of like the small town hardware store being an alternative to Home Depot, Lowes and Ace Hardware. That is all I could think of. Personally I do not care for mini gyms especiallyif theyare going to be just as crowded as the big ones. I might as well get the most bang for my buck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 06:57 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,021,652 times
I'must a woman, but I like my "mini-gym" a lot (Orange Theory).
It's convenient, clean, I never have to wait for equipment and I don't have to plan out my workouts.

There's a personal trainer taking you through each workout and the workouts are never the same so I don't get bored.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:53 AM

28,395 posts, read 16,265,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
The typical large gym near me is a stand alone building of approx. 10,000 to 20,000 of workout space. Think ballys, planet fitness, golds, 24 hour fitness. The mini gyms I reference are in strip malls and are only about 2,000 to 3000 sq ft. One has "cross fit" in its name, another is "orange theory", a national mini gym chain, the others are locally owned.

I've got two CrossFit gyms within 10 miles of my house that are 10,000+ sq/ft. The type of gym doesn't dictate the size.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:39 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,714,042 times
crossfit.

L
O
L

Old 10-20-2015, 11:18 AM

Yeah, yeah - I know it's trendy and fun to bash on CrossFit. I, for one, am a fan of anything that gets someone out of the house and moving around. Trail hiking, powerlifting, strongman, bodybuilding, cycling, mountain biking, running, swimming, weight lifting, even CrossFit, whatever rings your bell.

Thanks for your valuable contribution to the thread, however.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Yeah, yeah - I know it's trendy and fun to bash on CrossFit. I, for one, am a fan of anything that gets someone out of the house and moving around. Trail hiking, powerlifting, strongman, bodybuilding, cycling, mountain biking, running, swimming, weight lifting, even CrossFit, whatever rings your bell.

Thanks for your valuable contribution to the thread, however.

crossfit will get you out of the house and moving around right up until you get injured trying to see how many deadlifts or clean and presses you can do in 90 seconds.

then you'll be right back on that couch.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:52 PM

Funny, I've been doing CrossFit for 6+ years and have had zero injuries. I must simply be the luckiest guy on the planet, eh? I'm going to run right out and get some lotto tickets tonight.

In fact the 100s of people that I know, spread across multiple gyms in multiple states - has only yielded 1 person I know of that actually injured themselves doing CrossFit. He tried to "save" a snatch that he was losing behind his head, instead of just bailing, and dislocated his shoulder.

However, I know lots of folks that have hurt themselves running, playing softball, playing basketball, etc.

If you're referring to that infamous article about a "study" that commented on the injury rate for CrossFit, you'll find it has been thoroughly debunked.

CrossFit Injury Study Corrected | Outside Online

Old 10-21-2015, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Funny, I've been doing CrossFit for 6+ years and have had zero injuries. I must simply be the luckiest guy on the planet, eh? I'm going to run right out and get some lotto tickets tonight.

In fact the 100s of people that I know, spread across multiple gyms in multiple states - has only yielded 1 person I know of that actually injured themselves doing CrossFit. He tried to "save" a snatch that he was losing behind his head, instead of just bailing, and dislocated his shoulder.

However, I know lots of folks that have hurt themselves running, playing softball, playing basketball, etc.

If you're referring to that infamous article about a "study" that commented on the injury rate for CrossFit, you'll find it has been thoroughly debunked.

CrossFit Injury Study Corrected | Outside Online
you do you brother! crossfit does one thing, gets you good at crossfit.

even the people you idolize on the crossfit games train in other manners OTHER than crossfit.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
you do you brother! crossfit does one thing, gets you good at crossfit.

even the people you idolize on the crossfit games train in other manners OTHER than crossfit.

My back squat is heavier than it's ever been, my deadlift is heavier than it's ever been, my strict press is heavier than it's ever been (though not as heavy, certainly, if I was doing a powerlifting or strongman routine, but that's not my ultimate goal) - I never did a clean/jerk or a snatch before I started CrossFit and never would have if not for CrossFit.

What do you imagine that CrossFit games athletes do that "isn't" CrossFit? I know a female Games athlete for the past two years, I used to go to her husbands gym in St Louis, so I know how she trains.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
My back squat is heavier than it's ever been, my deadlift is heavier than it's ever been, my strict press is heavier than it's ever been (though not as heavy, certainly, if I was doing a powerlifting or strongman routine, but that's not my ultimate goal) - I never did a clean/jerk or a snatch before I started CrossFit and never would have if not for CrossFit.

What do you imagine that CrossFit games athletes do that "isn't" CrossFit? I know a female Games athlete for the past two years, I used to go to her husbands gym in St Louis, so I know how she trains.
many of them participate in more traditional training programs.

not to mention what does the bolded mean? the same could be said about ANYONE who works out regularly. their lifts go up, that's kind of the point. eventually you'll stall, while the person whom is on a tried-and-true regimen (not a glorified pyramid scheme, which is what Crossfit actually is) continues to progress.

i don't mean to come off harsh, but it's the simple truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness