Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 08:16 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times

Advertisements

You must be new in town !
I've seen girls lifting weight since the early 1980's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 11:31 AM

251 posts, read 246,404 times
In high school we had a girls' weight lifting class as an elective, I believe it was a semester, I loved how it made my body look and was a good addition to running cross country and training horses. This was a while ago, when the majority of kids were still athletic and active.

To this day I continue to lift, not necessarily heavy, but enough that I feel and see it work. It is good cross training for running and has helped my core and glutes a ton = better running form and stamina. I like having cut arms too. ; ) Weight lifting for me, also helps strengthen connective tissue around my joints reducing chances of injury. (and re-injury)

Studies have also shown that women who lift reduce their chance of getting osteoporosis as they age, of which I am of prime demographic for, so I want to be proactive in reducing my risk of getting that. I could lift all day and not bulk, so I don't get the hyped fear about that.

My mom has always kept herself fit, and at age 74 still runs races, competes in duathalons and cyclocross, I hope I can be as active as her when I get to that age!

I guess if lifting a few weights makes me a fleek a$$ beeotch, then, yup.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:41 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Female actors and athletes use weights to tone their bodies and build strength. Do you think those dancers doing handsprings came by it naturally?

Do you watch "The Walking Dead?" Take a look at the arms on Danai Gurira (Michonne). Her arms are strong and toned and sexy as all hell. The days of Olive Oyl pipecleaner arms on women are long over.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:30 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Default Before the trend there was Abby 'Pudgy'' Stockton!

Abbye "Pudgy" Stockton. Nice!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87PvvLpVP4U

Abbye posing with Steve Reeves.

Bing Images

Old 10-26-2015, 02:33 PM

52 posts, read 96,736 times
I began lifting in the mid 1970's and I know there were female bodybuilders competing by later in that decade. By 1980 Rachel McLish, Cory Everson and Carla Dunlap had the sport in full swing and internationally recognized. Bev Francis, an Australian IIRC, was among the largest and most imposing in the female sport. Not to mention female power lifters. . . .

So, if it's a trend, it's about 40 years old.

And Mike555 added even more history. Good find!!

Old 10-26-2015, 03:43 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
I don't remember many women lifting when I was in college in the 1970s but our workout facilities was really poor. I also don't remember many women running in the 1970s. I joined a Nautilus gym in 1979 and there was a growing number of women who began working out at this club. Nautilus seemed to open the door to women doing resistance training, and there seemed to be a boom in various kinds of health clubs in the early 1980s. Many YMCAs added Nautilus rooms around this time and female members gradually started migrating over to the free weights.

I think once people get involved in one form of exercise, they start looking at other things they can do to get better results. Many people, and especially women, still believe old myths about getting bulking and muscle bound. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard someone say, " I don't won't to get big muscles, I just want to tone."

I think Crossfit is giving a boost to women lifting weights similar to what Nautilus did around 1980. My daughter does Crossfit and there seems to be more women involved than men in her gym.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:05 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
I think this lifting has turned quite a number of girls too masculine, i.e. built upper body as opposed to curves in all the right places.
Skinny/slender/lean arms (and legs) with no obvious muscle are ugly to me, whether they are on men or on women.

I don't care for the overly bulky look, either; however, I can't imagine beautiful arms on a woman where there is not even a hint of curve of a tricep.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:06 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
I thought everyone is fat nowadays.

Now we are lifting too much and look to muscular?

I see about 1-2 women lifting every time I am at the gym. Not sure if I would call that a trend.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:30 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
If only all the strength training I've been doing for the last 15+ years would reduce my lower-half curves. I'd be willing to trade a smaller butt and hips and thighs for the risk of looking "too masculine".

Old 10-26-2015, 04:44 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
I notice girls talking about lifting as if it's "on fleek".

popularized by social media?

I dunno, seems like a lack of imagination when people have to follow the latest trend.

I think this lifting has turned quite a number of girls too masculine, i.e. built upper body as opposed to curves in all the right places.

JMO. More power to you if this is your thing.
Uh....girls have been lifting weights since like the 80's. I was lifting them before you were born, most likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness