Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 08:29 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,774,203 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who only trains his upper body and neglects his legs because he has bad knees. His body looks kind of funny. His upper body is pretty buff but he has a belly from drinking and he has chicken legs. I guess by bad knees he means he can't squat, lunge, deadlift, and do the leg things that involves your knees. If one has bad knees, are they just going to have to accept that their upper body is going to be bigger than their lower body or just not train at all? I'm a little worried about that because my knees aren't that great either... he's a few years older than me so I don't want to not be able to work my lower body when I'm that age...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 08:34 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
bicycling? My bf has two bad knees and he can bicycle

Old 11-05-2015, 09:07 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
I agree with the cycling. I know a few people who's knees are blown, or have had replacement surgery and they are on that bike almost everyday. I once had a Physical therapist who said cycling was one of the best things you can do for your knees.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:29 AM

579 posts, read 432,843 times
It depends on exactly what the problem is. I've heard the same thing regarding cycling. For some people, that works.

But if the knees are bad enough, you don't ride a bicycle. That's just more repetitive grinding. I don't ride a bike anymore. I mainly walk. I still try to do some moderate weight training though. I can't do lunges. I don't do anything involving steps, or plyometrics. I'm using a leg press machine right now and hope to get back to squats at some point. But I always feel like I have to be very careful -- use very controlled movements, pay attention to form and what muscles are doing the work, never lock my knees out, etc.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:04 AM

515 posts, read 1,004,699 times
Hip thrusts and variations, glute bridges and variations, kb swings, deadlift variations, box squats, sled marches, monster walks

If he can't deadlift because his knees hurt, he's probably deadlifting wrong as deadlifts shouldn't require much/any knee flexion and can relieve pressure on the joint

Old 11-05-2015, 01:49 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
I have a torn meniscus and arthritis in my right knee plus IT band issues. I find that it help to do some weightlifting for my lower body. I'll start with leg extensions and leg presses and do one leg at a time. My right leg has gotten weaker in the 10 years I've had the torn meniscus, so this allows me to make sure the other leg is not doing all the work. I will also do step ups on a box with dumbbells, deadlifts, and squats. Squats are the most difficult since I can't squat very deeply or with much weight, but something is better than nothing. I don't have any issues with deadlifts. My knee actually feels better after a leg workout.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:05 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
Swimming.

Non weight bearing but a great all over body workout.

Back in the day when I swam, sometimes I did upper body only, sometimes lower body only, finishing off with full freestyle.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:46 PM

589 posts, read 696,295 times
You would still do the best leg exercises (lunges, deadlift, squats, leg press) with low weight until you build up knee strength.

Unless you have an actual diagnosed medical condition, avoiding the tough leg exercises is just going to keep your knees weak when they could be getting strong.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:14 PM

7 posts, read 5,374 times
Even with bad knees you should still do entire body exercises like the above poster said. You need to strengthen up the ligaments and muscles around the knee before it can become stronger.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:03 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
How would you train your lower body if you have bad knees?.
That would depend on what exactly is the problem with the knees. My knees issues tend to flare up every now and then. I run 5-7 miles per day 5 days per week and when my knee issues come up, I just jump rope. Due to its low impact and me landing on the balls of my feet, jumping rope is one of the ONLY things I can do when my knees are giving me issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness