Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 08:59 PM

145 posts, read 159,220 times

Advertisements

It still comes down to who you associate with. If you took an obese person and made him or her room with a bunch of Crossfit people changes would happen.

1st: The fat person would stop eating after he or she was full

2nd:The fat person would stop basing his or her weekends around food

3rd: The fat person would do some form of low intensity excercise.

The fat person would start to see results and become just as motivated as the Crossfit people or perhaps more so. Why is it that Scandinavia and Southern Europe are fit? Peer pressure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 09:41 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,243,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyDickey View Post
It still comes down to who you associate with. If you took an obese person and made him or her room with a bunch of Crossfit people changes would happen.

1st: The fat person would stop eating after he or she was full

2nd:The fat person would stop basing his or her weekends around food

3rd: The fat person would do some form of low intensity excercise.

The fat person would start to see results and become just as motivated as the Crossfit people or perhaps more so. Why is it that Scandinavia and Southern Europe are fit? Peer pressure.
Ok, back to reality. Fit friends aren't around 24/7, nor will they be for the duration of ones life. This is something someone has to learn and constantly execute on their own.

I'm not sure what exactly we are discussing here? Being fit/getting in shape or eating healthy? <two different things.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:56 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,586,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Something doesn't add up.

Have you ever read what some of the "fitness buffs" on here actually do. There are folks on here hwho run marathons, lift weights and do other sports.

I went though jump school in the Army with people who probably describe it as being in the best shape of their life. They would be puking by the side of the road during morning runs. They were actually slow runs in formation.
I hear you. The military has a lot of people who are actually in pretty horrible shape. All of the service branches except for the Marines have pretty lenient body fat standards and easy-to-pass physical fitness tests. If you score the minimum on your PT test and you're a few pounds shy of your maximum weight allowance, you're not in great shape at all. Yet, many of these people delude themselves into thinking they are.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:23 AM

10,288 posts, read 10,519,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Ok, back to reality. Fit friends aren't around 24/7, nor will they be for the duration of ones life. This is something someone has to learn and constantly execute on their own.

I'm not sure what exactly we are discussing here? Being fit/getting in shape or eating healthy? <two different things.
I agree. The OP asked about starting an exercise program, not about eating healthy. It is good to do both but they are separate issues. Some people can do one but not the other.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:07 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,188,970 times
On the subject of feeling a "rush" after working out, I found that only times it hasn't happened is if I didn't really push myself hard enough, or if I didn't eat properly before and after working out. Makes sense, because endorphins kick in after intense exercise, and glycogen depletion can block endorphins.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:28 PM

4,528 posts, read 5,329,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I agree. The OP asked about starting an exercise program, not about eating healthy.
By using the word "fail" we are assuming that they actually BEGAN some kind of exercise program. Well, when it comes to failing to getting in shape in terms of exercise and/or an exercise program, I think people fail because they make the mistake of easing into things waaaaaaaay too slowly or they take horrible advice from people who know nothing about exercise. Some examples we've all heard are:

"Im going to do light weight with high reps because I heard from somewhere that it works"
"Im going join a gym after I lose some weight from my walking"
"Working in my garden and walking my dog is exercise"

These are all total B.S. things that people who fail tend to do.

Not knowing what to do really is a killer. This is why I always stress education education education. Learn about nutrition, and sign up with a good gym like Crossfit and you'll be on the path to success.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:48 PM

28,396 posts, read 16,253,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
IMO. Motivation, commitment, and the understanding that being fit isn't something that comes easily.

Most people fail miserably on the diet part, making getting fit that much more difficult.

Pretty much this. I would add "quickly" to the bit about it coming easily, as well.

Fitness is a journey, not a destination. Most folks don't appreciate that it can easily takes years to get into the shape that they want to be in.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:52 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,245,025 times
I'm seeing a lot of "they" in this thread.

Personally I fail because I'm tired from work, I stress eat and just want to rest or do other hobbies.

When I start a workout/diet regimen I see some results, but then feel better, then go back to old habits.

Often I'll start too hard, get shin splints and then quit.

----

I think me and a lot of people take it on as an all or nothing thing, when actually it doesn't have to be. Also people should learn to accept that they can be healthy and not be super ripped or super thin.

So I'd recommend that people slowly get into a system and not go crazy. Learn to eat less of the same first, before you totally start weighing your food. Start with walking, before you try to run a 5k.

I've found that by incorporating small, more doable habits its MUCH easier to ramp up to a more hardcore workout/diet, and from there it becomes more of a lifestyle that suits YOU.

----

I also think a lot of people (like myself) tend to think of losing weight as a byproduct of fear. Fear of getting too fat, fear of disease...and although those are valid reasons to lose weight/be healthy, I think it can be detrimental to some in the long term if working out isn't associated more with positive things like a fun activity or working out because the work out is FUN.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:57 PM

19 posts, read 14,513 times
I think diet...most of the times people don't know how to balance their food. When it comes to weight loss, some of them actually reduce the food intake or eat just boiled vegetables, which I didn't find a healthier way.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:24 PM

10,288 posts, read 10,519,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachersoot View Post
I think diet...most of the times people don't know how to balance their food. When it comes to weight loss, some of them actually reduce the food intake or eat just boiled vegetables, which I didn't find a healthier way.
The question was: "Why do you think most people fail when it comes to getting in shape?," not Why do you think most people fail when it comes to dieting?

There really is a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness