Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 05:10 PM

483 posts, read 691,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
It works for them because they never get the opportunity to binge-eat like people in first-world countries. If you enough willpower to constantly ignore the hunger cravings your body is giving out then I guess it could work.
Excellent point. It does seem like that is the sort of thing that science should be able to harness. (Not the never-eating part, clearly.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

This thread has offered good reasons why people don't stick with it when they start trying to get healthy. I think their expectations are too high and they aren't willing to make the changes in their diets. I see it all the time at the gym, especially in the "Women Only" area, mostly because it's small and I see people work out and hear conversations. There will be a 250 lb. woman doing 5 lb. bicep curls, drinking something that isn't water and talking about how she was "bad" the night before because she they all went to Whataburger. Well forget it. Of course she's not going to see a change and she'll blame everything but the fact that she didn't do the work.
Likewise, there's "bad diet interpretation", accidentally or on-purpose like your example. I actually knew a woman who would eat kung pao, then scold herself for the innocent little grains of white rice, and not the double-frying or breading (? it's got breading, right?) of the meat. Maybe that is Atkins for all of me, but surely the breading can't be twisted as Atkins or paleo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Bham View Post
I think many of the critical people on this thread don't have a basis for criticism unless they are at least 35-40 or more and have experienced their body becoming less resilient, and have had a period of time when they have had to completely stop exercising for at least 3-6 months due to pregnancy while working full-time, major injury/illness, or working 100 hours a week while on business travel.
I am one of those people, IMO, easy. Mid-forties, quit smoking in same decade, work full time, go to school part time and have for several years. I found I could work full-time and do one extra thing, only. If I worked out with regularity, I couldn't keep the house clean. If I tried to clear time for socializing with friends and family, I wouldn't have the time to work out. Sometimes the workout has extra time tacked on for gym travel, and almost always for changing clothes, to the point where someone making a promise to one's self might have to donate up to 90 minutes' time to make sure to get a 60-minute workout.

Also I think that we get frustrating messages from the medical associations, which may even be correct, which is more dismaying. For example, not too long ago I remember seeing some governing body (the AMA?) saying you have to work out 2 hours/day to lose weight and keep it off. When would you have time to live?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 11:01 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskittytalks View Post
I am one of those people, IMO, easy. Mid-forties, quit smoking in same decade, work full time, go to school part time and have for several years. I found I could work full-time and do one extra thing, only. If I worked out with regularity, I couldn't keep the house clean. If I tried to clear time for socializing with friends and family, I wouldn't have the time to work out. Sometimes the workout has extra time tacked on for gym travel, and almost always for changing clothes, to the point where someone making a promise to one's self might have to donate up to 90 minutes' time to make sure to get a 60-minute workout.
This sounds like my wife. We're late 30s, so we're in the same stage of life as you. We both work full time and raise our daughter. She also takes online courses at night. On top of this, she wants to keep a clean house, make time for socializing with friends and family and do some pleasure reading. She's also a member of a local choir that meets once a week. Finding time to workout is a constant balancing act. She's not as regular as I am, but she tries. For her, working out is an early morning thing, but some days she just can't make it to the gym because she had to stay up too late the night before finishing some other project.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:05 AM

1,248 posts, read 823,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
That may be true for some, but I love going to the gym. It fits my needs and I utilize all of it, from the weight room, cardio, swimming, classes and sessions with a personal trainer. I also enjoy hiking when the weather is nice, and I like to walk my dog. But other than that I will take the gym.
Everyone is different so making blanket statements about where one should work out is pointless.
People need to find what will work for them. The hardest part for most people is that they give up too soon. They do not see results fast enough, they do not enjoy what they are doing because it may be hard and they never give themselves a chance to get better at it.
Sure everyone is different. The point is to find ways to make exercise fun rather than a chore. People will not give up something they actually find enjoyable that quickly, even if it's hard.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:31 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskittytalks View Post
Excellent point. It does seem like that is the sort of thing that science should be able to harness. (Not the never-eating part, clearly.)

Likewise, there's "bad diet interpretation", accidentally or on-purpose like your example. I actually knew a woman who would eat kung pao, then scold herself for the innocent little grains of white rice, and not the double-frying or breading (? it's got breading, right?) of the meat. Maybe that is Atkins for all of me, but surely the breading can't be twisted as Atkins or paleo.

Also I think that we get frustrating messages from the medical associations, which may even be correct, which is more dismaying. For example, not too long ago I remember seeing some governing body (the AMA?) saying you have to work out 2 hours/day to lose weight and keep it off. When would you have time to live?!
Hmm, I don't remember ever reading about that That would depend a lot on whether or not the person is willing to cut calories, as well as how intensely they are working out. Either way, whether it's 10 minutes/day or 2 hours, any amount of exercise is better than none.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 12-03-2015 at 08:09 AM..

Old 12-03-2015, 07:53 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,040 times
People will make time for the things they actually want to do. It's really that simple. If the gym is just a "chore" or a quick-remedy for a few extra pounds, it probably won't last. For those who use it as a time to decompress, have some private time, or enjoy challenging themselves, it will stick.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:18 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,466,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
What do you think most beginners get wrong when they start an exercise program?
I think the main problem with beginners is they go all out on a hard routine and end up picking something that doesn't fit their personality (which makes them not like it).

I would suggest to beginners to pick something that fits the personality. So if you are a social butterfly pick something like tennis or make a date with an exercise partner. If you are the strong brewing type with a lot of stress... maybe weightlifting or running? There's so many ways to integrate exercise into our lives, you don't have to do hardcore exercise for it to be beneficial. The main thing is consistency, variety (IMO), and fun. If it's something you hate, you won't do it long term.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:22 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,466,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Sure everyone is different. The point is to find ways to make exercise fun rather than a chore. People will not give up something they actually find enjoyable that quickly, even if it's hard.
I agree with you. I always find it perplexing when people say "I hate exercise." I understand, "I hate running" or something specific. But there's so many ways to get out there and enjoy being active, they just have to find one that works for them. IMO

Old 12-03-2015, 09:34 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,972 times
I don't know, I am just a loser. I know how to lose weight (exercise and eat right). I have successfully lost weight once in the past but then gained it back. I ask myself this question all the time "why can't I do this simple thing", "why can't I put in 30 min of workout a day in a 24 hour a day". Yet I still suck

I can only point it down to laziness and not wanting bad enough. I often get a surge of motivatin once in blue moon & my desire to be thin is greater than my laziness but often that motivation burns out. another thing I just thought of is the concept of "its not fair'. Its not fair I have to work so hard when so&so just naturally thin. Maybe I am meant to be fat, why fight world. I am just gonna gain weight & its never going to be fair cuz I was born with fat genes.

yea excuses I know

Old 12-03-2015, 09:43 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I don't know, I am just a loser. I know how to lose weight (exercise and eat right). I have successfully lost weight once in the past but then gained it back. I ask myself this question all the time "why can't I do this simple thing", "why can't I put in 30 min of workout a day in a 24 hour a day". Yet I still suck

I can only point it down to laziness and not wanting bad enough. I often get a surge of motivatin once in blue moon & my desire to be thin is greater than my laziness but often that motivation burns out. another thing I just thought of is the concept of "its not fair'. Its not fair I have to work so hard when so&so just naturally thin. Maybe I am meant to be fat, why fight world. I am just gonna gain weight & its never going to be fair cuz I was born with fat genes.

yea excuses I know
Maybe you need to look at it differently. Exercise has so many more benefits than losing weight. It fights diseases, boosts self esteem, gives one a feeling of euphoria after a strenuous workout.
Many naturally thin people are in horrible shape simply because they do not feel they need to exercise.
Exercise is the single best thing you can do for your body.
Try again and search for something you enjoy. Try classes, spinning, walking, running, kickboxing, Zumba, swimming, etc.. there are infinite ways you can move your body. Once you find something you can do and like stick with it for at least 6 weeks in order to form a habit. Then set a goal for yourself, not weight goal, but an exercise goal as in running a 5k, doing a higher level of a class, trying something you would never think to do before.
If you can get into an exercise routine you will lose weight because you will want to eat better because it will make you feel better. Give it another shot, you might surprise yourself.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:47 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Lots of "blah blah blah...." going on here with excuses and lesser reasons why people fail. It always comes down to what they eat. I've said it a million times you can always always always trace the culprit back to what they put in their mouths.

Many people who fail wont openly admit it, but its always due what they continue to shove in their mouths as the reason for failing. Some may even go so far as to say "Oh its due to my mental health disease and depression meds. They make me eat". NO!! They dont make you eat stupid things, YOU decide to eat stupid things.

Most people fail because of poor poor poor poor poor poor choices of what they put into their mouths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness