Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 12:30 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Would two to three days a week suffice? How long should you lift for each time? Can you see results in just a couple months?
I do a full-body workout 3 times/week. Start to finish, I can be done in 45-50 minutes if I don't lollygag in between sets. I started to some results after about 3 months, but it was really noticeable after about 6 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 12:45 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I've really been thinking lately about lifting weights to achieve a more toned looking body. I've watched YouTube videos of women fitness models and they look great.

But how heavy do you have to lift exactly to see results? I know it varies for everyone, but I'm just trying to get an idea. Would it have to be at least 100 lbs? I plan on using the gym in my apartment building next month, but I think they only have dumbbells. I'm not sure how heavy they go. Do you have to use barbells to get the best results?

Any advice would be appreciated...thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
I can't help but notice that basically none of the advice given in here has been even remotely consistent...
McBain points out an important issue when you ask for advice on exercise. You will receive a mix of advice from people who rarely exercise and people who are fanatics, and everything in between. People may have strong opinions about what is the best way to exercise and how much to do, but it is only their opinion. After about 50 years of listening and reading people's advice on exercise, I will give you some of my own, FWIW.

It is not how much weight you lift, but whether you are doing a limited number of repetitions to at least close to failure with good form. Many people, especially women, don't use enough weight to be getting any benefit. Many guys will use too much weight because they don't want to look weak. A good rule of thumb is to increase the weight by a minimal amount if you can do 10-12 repetitions. That doesn't mean you stop at 12 reps; always do as many as reps as you can. Some people lift heavier and do less repetitions, You will hear people talk about a 5x5 routine. This is a program where you are using enough weight so you max out at around 5 reps. You do 5 sets of 5 reps. Most beginners will start with 3 sets of 10-12 reps of each exercise. You might start with 6-8 different exercises depending on how much time you have.

The amount of weight that you start with doesn't matter. What matters is that you are making progressive improvements by continually adding weight. That is why it is a good idea to keep track of your workouts. If you are typically hitting 15 or more reps, you are not using enough weight.

What is also important is the types of exercises you do. You will benefit more from exercises that use multiple muscles and the largest muscles in the body. This is why exercises that target the biceps, triceps, and calves are the least effective exercises. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do those exercises, but they should not be your high priority exercises.

You can get results with dumbbells, barbells and machines. Most serious weightlifters prefer free weights over machines but machines have some advantages. I personally use all three in most workouts.

The single most effective exercise are squats. You can start off using no weight and then progress to dumbbells and eventually barbells with plates. Most people avoid this exercise because it is hard and will make you sore the first couple times you do it. This is one of the exercises typically done in the 5x5 program. You will probably need someone to show you his exercise of watch videos on how to do it.

It is a good idea to lift three times a week in the beginning with a day off between workout days. Advanced lifters sometimes split their workout so they are isolating different body parts in each workout. A good rule of thumb is not to go more than three days without lifting.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:30 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Lift heavy to build strength, lighter with lots of reps to build muscle definition.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:31 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,402,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
McBain points out an important issue when you ask for advice on exercise. You will receive a mix of advice from people who rarely exercise and people who are fanatics, and everything in between. People may have strong opinions about what is the best way to exercise and how much to do, but it is only their opinion. After about 50 years of listening and reading people's advice on exercise, I will give you some of my own, FWIW.

It is not how much weight you lift, but whether you are doing a limited number of repetitions to at least close to failure with good form. Many people, especially women, don't use enough weight to be getting any benefit. Many guys will use too much weight because they don't want to look weak. A good rule of thumb is to increase the weight by a minimal amount if you can do 10-12 repetitions. That doesn't mean you stop at 12 reps; always do as many as reps as you can. Some people lift heavier and do less repetitions, You will hear people talk about a 5x5 routine. This is a program where you are using enough weight so you max out at around 5 reps. You do 5 sets of 5 reps. Most beginners will start with 3 sets of 10-12 reps of each exercise. You might start with 6-8 different exercises depending on how much time you have.

The amount of weight that you start with doesn't matter. What matters is that you are making progressive improvements by continually adding weight. That is why it is a good idea to keep track of your workouts. If you are typically hitting 15 or more reps, you are not using enough weight.

What is also important is the types of exercises you do. You will benefit more from exercises that use multiple muscles and the largest muscles in the body. This is why exercises that target the biceps, triceps, and calves are the least effective exercises. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do those exercises, but they should not be your high priority exercises.

You can get results with dumbbells, barbells and machines. Most serious weightlifters prefer free weights over machines but machines have some advantages. I personally use all three in most workouts.

The single most effective exercise are squats. You can start off using no weight and then progress to dumbbells and eventually barbells with plates. Most people avoid this exercise because it is hard and will make you sore the first couple times you do it. This is one of the exercises typically done in the 5x5 program. You will probably need someone to show you his exercise of watch videos on how to do it.

It is a good idea to lift three times a week in the beginning with a day off between workout days. Advanced lifters sometimes split their workout so they are isolating different body parts in each workout. A good rule of thumb is not to go more than three days without lifting.
That's great advice, thanks

Old 12-30-2015, 02:48 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,910,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Lift heavy to build strength, lighter with lots of reps to build muscle definition.
Regarding the second part, more like medium or medium-heavy weight where you reach failure after a moderate number of reps.

In any case, this kind of specializing is something to do after the beginning level. At first it's better to get the feel of lifting, make sure your form is good, and develop a basic level of strength. The above post by VillageIdiot offers good advice on what to do in the beginning. Once you've developed that base, then you can tweak your workouts to get the specific results you're after.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:22 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,685,376 times
For a beginner I would worry most about getting your form down on the key exercises that will give you the most bang for your buck.

Squats, deadlifts, bent-over-rows, shoulder presses...etc. Don't worry about the weight so much as getting the proper form so that you can continue lifting long-term, don't be afraid to ask for help or get a qualified trainer if you really need it. Once you get those exercises down pat and are comfortable doing them for 3 sets of 10, you can slowly start increasing the weight and pushing yourself a little more, trying new routines.....etc.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:36 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,334,272 times
You've got a lot of advise. My advise is to remain dedicated/motivated on your journey to a more healthier/fit life; give it 110% and nothing less

Good luck. Train hard.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:18 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
This statement doesn't provide enough information especially for someone who has never lifted weights. What is heavy? What are lots of reps. Many lifters would consider lots of reps to be in the 8-12 range.

Building muscle, toning muscle and building muscle definition all have very similar meaning.

The consensus with many experts is the following:

Low reps (5 or less): used primarily to build strength; not as effective in building size or increasing muscle definition.

Moderate reps (6-14): optimum for building muscle, toning and increasing muscle definition.

High reps (15 or more reps): this will increase endurance, have a moderate effect on increasing size and definition and do little to build strength. One caveat to this is many weightlifters believe sets of 12 to 20 reps are optimal for leg workouts. High rep sets are not advantageous for fat burning. All weight training will stimulate the metabolism and burn calories. No one rep range will cause significant fat loss over another.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:44 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,391 times
Muscle seems to build from the inside out

start with light weights and more reps and move slowly to heavier with less reps

remember if you do it right you can barely move 2 days later so space it out do top half one session bottom the next

I love weights

Old 12-31-2015, 04:17 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
remember if you do it right you can barely move 2 days later so space it out do top half one session bottom the next
Uh, no....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness