Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 06:10 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times

Advertisements

When you said you had played football competitively I replied that I wasn't impressed. Color me even more unimpressed now. While playing competitively does not automatically equate to knowledge of strength, fitness, weight loss, nutrition and training techniques, the nature of your questions and description of your problem suggest a below average knowledge of these things. Someone who "played competitively" should have taken a greater interest in all of this.

//www.city-data.com/forum/42582567-post78.html

Old 01-13-2016, 07:01 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
When you said you had played football competitively I replied that I wasn't impressed. Color me even more unimpressed now. While playing competitively does not automatically equate to knowledge of strength, fitness, weight loss, nutrition and training techniques, the nature of your questions and description of your problem suggest a below average knowledge of these things. Someone who "played competitively" should have taken a greater interest in all of this.

//www.city-data.com/forum/42582567-post78.html
That post says that it was edited by DOUBLE H (because one sentence was deleted).

How can one person edit another person's post?

Old 01-13-2016, 07:01 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
Maybe I should post a video of my workout for these non-believers.
As many others have told you...the way you are eating is the problem, not your workout.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:02 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
They are saying that my way isn't working so I need to try their way which is to join a gym. But working out next to bunch of fat sweaty strangers just doesn't appeal to me. I would only use the pool anyways since I used to swim competitively and was in great shape then but still not worth $39/month.

Currently I am trail running at a nearby mountain. I typically run 3-4 hours a day and I drop 5-7 pounds. But I gain it all back and more by the end of the day since my diet consists of eating everything. So the only way I would probably lose weight is to cut back on the calories which is difficult for me.

So do you think I should do what they say and get a gym membership or just keep doing what I am doing and focus on diet instead? Btw, they are willing to pay for my membership but I still think it's waste of money.
How old are you, for your parents to tell you what to do? Still young?

Anyway, yes....I think joining a gym when one is young is a good idea, though I'd never tell someone s/he has to do it.

Things you'll get from a gym:
1. You'll focus more on exercising
2. The social aspect (I hope you weren't serious, when you criticized "fat" people at the gym; that's exactly who SHOULD be at the gym...people trying to improve their health)
3. A cross training experience (aerobics, swimming, weights)
4. Opportunity for classes with others, by experts
5. Discipline, at least for a while
6. It's fun, if you do what you like there
7. Availability of some pretty fun equipment
8. Sharing an experience with others who are working toward the same goal
9. The steam room, sauna, whirlpool are good for health and weight loss, if your gym has those.

As for losing weight, losing weight is mainly about what you eat. It's far easier not to eat 500 calories than to try to work it off. 500 calories takes a lot of sweat to work it off.

Doing resistance exercises & working out with weights is better for losing weight than jogging, aerobics, etc. That's because it builds muscle, which continues to burn calories throughout the day, and once muscle is built, will consume more calories to maintain it.

If you don't want to pay for a gym, get a set of good free weights, some bands, and other workout equipment, and do that at home. There are also good resistance exercise dvds, as well as a lot of fitness shows that are streamed these days.

Now that I think about it, I need to get cracking and do a bit of exercising myself.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:08 PM

In another post about how long you could live on $5,000, you said,

Quote:
For me, I think I could last 2 years.....

$5/day on food & soda ($150/month)
$30/month on Cellphone for entertainment
$10/month coin laundry
$10/month gas
$5/month toiletries

How realistic is this?
This might be a good way to get that calorie intake down.

When you say your family is making these demands, are you talking about your parents? Do you live with them?

Old 01-13-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
That post says that it was edited by DOUBLE H (because one sentence was deleted).

How can one person edit another person's post?
HH is the mod for the forum where that post was made. I didn't see the part that was removed, but I think HH is a pretty reasonable mod.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
HH is the mod for the forum where that post was made. I didn't see the part that was removed, but I think HH is a pretty reasonable mod.
?

Doesn't it usually say something like "moderator cut . . ." ?

How would a moderator be able to determine whether a sentence was missing from someone's post?

I'm confused.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:09 PM

HH is the one who deleted the sentence. If you're confused you can always contact that Mod and ask for an explanation. That's not relevant to me, really. I only brought up that post because of the claims OP makes in it, which become more interesting to me in light of this thread.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
HH is the one who deleted the sentence.
AH. ok. thanks for clearing that up.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:39 PM

806 posts, read 959,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
?

Doesn't it usually say something like "moderator cut . . ." ?

How would a moderator be able to determine whether a sentence was missing from someone's post?

I'm confused.

He deleted a sentence where I asked this guy if he ever played sports. I only asked because I couldn't imagine anyone who was ever an athlete taking so much joy in another competitor's unfortunate mishap as this guy was. I'm pretty sure he's a couch potato so took offense and reported me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness