Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 04:49 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,583,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I look at people who are my height and weigh as much as I do and some of them look obese. When I tell people how much I weigh they are shocked. I wear a size 12 jean that I can pull on and off without unzipping them and unbuttoning them. I have a lot of muscle mass, but still too much belly fat.

John my husband thought I weighed about 135. Ah no, but I'm still going to do that thing to him tonight for saying so

Gee, 135? No Way! You can't be a pound over 120.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 05:00 PM

26,420 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinginSeattle View Post
Does that include organic wheat?

I am 5'4" 120lbs and I'm definitely not underweight. I'm lucky that I have a fast metabolism, but I also tend to eat a higher protein, lower carb diet. I'm not a saint. It started as a way to control my low blood sugar. Also, I'm just not a big fan of bread and pasta. I think you're onto something with this "modern wheat" idea.
My recommendation would be to avoid consumption of wheat, even organic varieties.
Here are some reasons why wheat has changed compared to what our grandparents generation were eating:

"Even though Norman Borlaug had, without a doubt, the noblest of all intentions, for which he was recognized by winning the Nobel Prize for his work with wheat, it appears that the product which he helped develop– high-yield dwarf wheat– is very toxic to human health, and these effects are outlined in accessible details by Dr. Davis in his excellent book, which I have recommended over and and over again since its publication.

But as if the health consequences of this new strain of wheat were not enough what’s worse is that large companies, in particular those that wield an enormous amount of influence on our government and its policies regarding food and health, benefit and profit from dwarf wheat. Why wouldn’t they? They have, in their hands, and extraordinarily cheap product (made so, in large par,t by government subsidies of grain) that seems to be highly addictive, and also seems to be potent stimulus to overeat. This addictive property of wheat appears to be due in large part to gliadin (part of the gluten protein) in wheat. It a win-win situation of a large corporation that sells wheat products."

Old 01-24-2016, 05:10 PM

26,420 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
I don't know that wheat is to blame, but it seems to have become a much bigger part of our diets with so many snacks and meals. That combined with all the sugar in everything, isn't doing us any favors. For the most part (not counting the occasional cheat) I'm grain free (including rice, wheat and oats) and dairy free. Cutting out those foods has made it much simpler to stay within my calories and slim down from 170 (nearly the "average" weight) to 123 @5'5".
It is a big chunk of the problem because modern high yield semi-dwarf wheat are in all processed food items (that contain wheat ingredients for the last 30 years). I have many friends that have lost significant amounts of weight from ONLY CUTTING OUT WHEAT. They never changed anything else regarding portion sizes, frequency of meals, number of beverages, etc. That is why people need to educate themselves and read labels of all food items far more frequently.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 01-24-2016 at 08:12 PM..

Old 01-24-2016, 05:30 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,250,641 times
Americas problem isn't wheat or our food supply. America has a willpower problem.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:36 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
I can see the problem almost any place I visit when traveling. However, let's get one fact out of the way, weight is not a true indication if a person is overweight or not and unhealthy. Muscle weighs more than fat, so a weight lifter might weigh quite a bit more than a fat guy (or woman) of the same height.

One example is Kevin Sorbo during his prime was 6"2" and about 240 lbs.

Just saying....

Old 01-24-2016, 05:42 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I can see the problem almost any place I visit when traveling. However, let's get one fact out of the way, weight is not a true indication if a person is overweight or not and unhealthy. Muscle weighs more than fat, so a weight lifter might weigh quite a bit more than a fat guy (or woman) of the same height.

One example is Kevin Sorbo during his prime was 6"2" and about 240 lbs.

Just saying....
I get the sentiment, but people need to stop saying "muscle weighs more than fat". No, it does not. Muscle is just DENSER than fat, so it takes up less room, making one look more compact. A pound is a pound, no matter what you are weighing....

Old 01-24-2016, 05:50 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,684,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yes, it is. Latin cultures are very prideful people and are concerned with their appearance. There are other cultures for whom it is the same. In America people are all over the map when it comes to weight, health and grooming. Here it is kind of a regional thing, I think. I am Spanish descent, originally from a city with a lot of other Spaniards and the ladies especially were always slim and well-groomed, even into their older age.
It' not just the Latin culture. In some parts of the world, they actually eat fresh, healthy food. Here in the USA, if you're not careful, you end up eating processed junk that's distributed by Food, Inc. 95% crap, 5% food.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:21 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I get the sentiment, but people need to stop saying "muscle weighs more than fat". No, it does not. Muscle is just DENSER than fat, so it takes up less room, making one look more compact. A pound is a pound, no matter what you are weighing....
Exactly. Remember the old joke, "What weighs more; a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks?" Muscle is denser than fat, but it doesn't weigh more. However, a toned, muscular woman often weighs more than she appears and can wear smaller clothing sizes than a flabby, out of shape woman weighing the same amount.

When I exercise a lot, I'm very muscular and toned, and I normally wear a size 8. Even though I weigh much more than I appear, I have enough muscle that I don't look overweight, although according to the scale number alone I am. My BMI is normal, however. When I met my wife, she was shocked at how heavy I told her I was (I actually didn't lie about my weight!) She thought I weighed about 15 pounds less than that. I was so toned she told me she could bounce quarters off my, well, you know. . . I'm working back to getting to that quarter bouncing stage now

Old 01-24-2016, 06:27 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It is a big chunk of the problem because modern high yield semi-dwarf wheat were in all processed food items (that contained wheat ingredients for the last 30 years). I have many friends that have lost significant amounts of wheat from ONLY CUTTING OUT WHEAT. They never changed anything else regarding portion sizes, frequency of meals, number of beverages, etc. That is why people need to educate themselves and read labels of all food items far more frequently.
Wheat Belly is really an eye-opening book. The trouble is, that wheat is hiding everywhere, in places you would never suspect.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:48 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,440,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Sorry borderline obese.

I am not attacking because I have had my weight issues in the past but this PC BS has to stop and so does the fat acceptance in this country.

I bust my ass every day at the gym and am proud of it. Anyone can do similar if they have the motivation and discipline but most are full of BS excuses like this country and our government and many of the poster on CD.

Full of excuses why they can't get it done.
And the people who are happy with how they look? How are they harming you exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness