Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 05:49 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Here's Alaska's prep star going at it in the race.
Notice the exposed face, hands, and ankles in the foreground and the exposed legs, face and shoulders in the background.

People who are in shape have higher resting metabolisms in general, but when we get moving that metabolism spikes (sometimes greatly) in order to burn stored calories for immediate fuel. Since metabolism is an indication that calories are burning we produce a lot of internal heat that needs to find an outlet somewhere.

Overweight Southerners like the OP might have a hard time understanding this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 06:34 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
So being dedicated working out now means one has a personality disorder?

lol, the things you see people insinuate on this forum everyday.

It doesn't snow where I live, but I have run in very rainy weather before after work. When you are in a groove and rhythm, you work out regardless of outside conditions. Sure, I wouldn't run if there's a typhoon outside, but other than that, nothing wrong with running outside in bad weather.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:49 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Would this be as funny if it was just a person out walking his dog in the snow who fell and cracked his head on the ice?
I offer the same answer that I offered up back in October:

//www.city-data.com/forum/41432434-post59.html

Old 01-24-2016, 07:23 PM

10,555 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
If you have to do all of that to run, doesn't that tell you something...:
LOL. All of what?
Slipping on a pair of trekkers takes about 30 seconds. Donning a hat, gloves, and windbreaker? Same things you would do if just going outside for a walk-in the snow. Horrors, imagine that.

And yes, this thread has told me something:

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still" - Dale Carnegie.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:29 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree. It defies common sense. They are showing off. Egotistical narcissists, attempting to make normal people who opt for a sitting by the fire, reading a good book or watching Netflix, feel bad. Or guilty.

However, we don't.
Yup, that's why we do it. To make everyone else feel bad.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:19 PM

201 posts, read 190,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I don't let anything get in the way of my running, and I'm no pro athlete. Went running in the snow in Raleigh this weekend.
That wasn't snow, it was ice. You're lucky you didn't break your neck.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:23 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
So being dedicated working out now means one has a personality disorder?

lol, the things you see people insinuate on this forum everyday.

It doesn't snow where I live, but I have run in very rainy weather before after work. When you are in a groove and rhythm, you work out regardless of outside conditions. Sure, I wouldn't run if there's a typhoon outside, but other than that, nothing wrong with running outside in bad weather.

Just stop...

@Blind Cleric... it doesn't make sense... just give it up.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:48 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,250,203 times
How does people running in bad weather affecting your daily life OP?

Old 01-24-2016, 11:39 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post

Just stop...

@Blind Cleric... it doesn't make sense... just give it up.
sorry, just being a meanie

Old 01-25-2016, 04:00 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
We don't have snow where I live in the desert Southwest. But I see something easily as unusual. I live in a "dark skies" neighborhood. Meaning we're in between two observatories and choose not to pollute the night sky with a lot of lights. So we have people here who jog in complete darkness carrying a flashlight. Meanwhile, we have irregular sidewalks, rocks on the roads, even coyotes and bobcats out sometimes at night. Quite often you will see a bouncing flashlight come down the street even at midnight or four a.m. and it's a jogger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness