Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 04:28 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
That is your first mistake right there. If you are serious about wanting to lose weight then you should not be eating crap like that! By all means - ask for a container when you place your order. Who cares what anybody thinks! Not that they're thinking anything anyway.
Never believed in eliminating any foods...deprivation only causes splurging and cravings later on. Eating everything in moderation is a great way to satisfy your tongue and your waistline. And as for the above threads that claim its hard to not keep picking at your food----after you've gotten your to-go container, ask the waiter to refill your water and keep sipping on that throughout the meal. Water is great for you, is filling, and it's cheap at restaurants (hopefully free)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 07:46 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
I really don't enjoy eating out. I'm leery of how clean the kitchen is, what kind of addititves are in the food, etc....not to mention it's so expensive that I know I can go to Whole Foods and pick up something so much healthier, wash my hands and counters and prepare a better tasting dish myself. When I do go out, I order something grilled or baked with no sauces and cooked vegetables. I stay away from salads and heavy sauces. I know: I have issues!

Old 02-22-2008, 07:33 PM

199 posts, read 707,808 times
I usually cut my serving in half, and I am almost always full w/ the half portion. If I get a hamburger or sandwich, I just cut it in half. If I get a plate of pasta or something, I cut it in half and push it to the side. I get my take-home box, and put the food into a better container (tupperware etc.) for the next day. Then my fridge doesn't stink, and my food is better preserved.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:26 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
we always bring home the portion of food that we don't finish at a restaurant. makes great lunches the next day. so, as already said by many...ask for that container!

Old 02-27-2008, 06:37 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,605 times
I like it when places let me order a 1/2 size dinner...it isn't often but there are some that let you do it. And I'm still stuffed when I'm done. But often that is b/c they fill the meal with the cheaper & filling carb (ie pasta) & are less generous with the more expensive veggies

Old 02-27-2008, 11:37 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,878 times
I usually never finish the food. The portions are just so large, I can't eat it all The only exception to this rule is my birthday dinner at Red Lobster during Lobster Fest! I usually skip breakfast that morning so that I can eat all that lobster and crab......lol. I figure once a year isn't going to hurt me that much. We only eat out about 5 times a year. (we can afford it more, but I'm allergic to soy and everybody is starting to use it.)

Old 02-27-2008, 01:25 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
I like it when places let me order a 1/2 size dinner...it isn't often but there are some that let you do it. And I'm still stuffed when I'm done. But often that is b/c they fill the meal with the cheaper & filling carb (ie pasta) & are less generous with the more expensive veggies
In this case, why not try what Tikimann said, and as I do as well.
Order the full size meal. Most places I've been to that split meals will charge like $7 for the half, and $10-11 for the full. But like you said, with the full you get more "good" stuff. Then boom, split it and you got a $5 dinner and a $5 lunch for the next day. Or if you want...$7/$3

Mimis restuarant has great Cobb salads and I always order it. The full is only $3 more then the half, and I always have leftovers.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:32 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sent View Post
Let's discuss portion control in restaurants - chains and fancy places. I have always felt the need to have to "clear my plate" and I do it even if I'm feeling full or didn't even like my meal that much. Obviously in a place like The Cheesecake Factory, this is not a good thing. Sometimes I will eat only part of the meal and plan to save the rest, but I end up picking at it while everyone socializes and I wait for the server to come around.

Anyone have any success with asking that a take-home container be brought at the same time your meal is brought to the table? I feel embarassed to do this, but given that I get dragged out to restaurants a lot by friends and co-workers, I need a better solution.

On the plus side, when I crave fast food, I've been looking at ordering from the kids menu or the senior specials since the portions are smaller. Starbucks in my area offers a "kids size" hot chocolate that is exactly the right size for me to order when I have to go there to meet others.

I usually order one of the healthies items on the menu that looks appealing to me. And start with a salad. This cuts down on how much I eat of the entree and is healthier than an appetizer. Actually I eat a salad every nigh before my dinner, never skip it! But if I do eat the whole entree I don't feet as guilty because its the healthiest thing on the menu. And that way I don't have room for dessert- which is the real diet killer!

Old 02-29-2008, 03:03 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,557,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I ALWAYS portion my plates into 1/4's. I eat 1/4 of my plate and take the rest with me. You don't have to be embarrassed to ask for a take home container, the waitstaff will gladly accommodate your request.
A 1/4??? I'm sorry little birdie, but that would be like two bites? Just kidding. I can see half of the plate, but a 1/4 seems a bit over the top.

If you are going out to eat, enjoy your meal! If you are going out too much, then go, but you don't always have to order! Do you know how I survived post-college? Going out with my bunch of friends and never ordering. I didn't have the money anyways, but almost 3/4 of the people I was with always bought huge portions and would throw it away! So, I would mooch their food. I had the best meals at those dinner tables! Get a plate and turn your resturant experienc into a buffet! I had meals for days!!!

Old 02-29-2008, 03:10 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
A 1/4??? I'm sorry little birdie, but that would be like two bites? Just kidding. I can see half of the plate, but a 1/4 seems a bit over the top.

If you are going out to eat, enjoy your meal! If you are going out too much, then go, but you don't always have to order! Do you know how I survived post-college? Going out with my bunch of friends and never ordering. I didn't have the money anyways, but almost 3/4 of the people I was with always bought huge portions and would throw it away! So, I would mooch their food. I had the best meals at those dinner tables! Get a plate and turn your resturant experienc into a buffet! I had meals for days!!!
I don't eat more food at one sitting than the size of my hand made into a fist and that is usually 1/4 size portions in a restaurant. Haven't you noticed how much food they give you in a restaurant? Typically I eat at home where I can control not only how much food I make/eat, but what ingredients go into it. I am very into having a lean, toned body. I have to. I compete in ballroom dance, so this is very important to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness