Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 06:04 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
R4T,

You might want to take a look at this video produced by Dr. Michael Greger:

Protein Source: An Acid Test for Kidney Function

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDl4zqNxI-o
I thought your username looked familiar, then I realized you were the same guy who posted a video in this thread of this same doctor talking about a link between IGF-1 levels and cancer that really doesn't exist. Dr. Greger is a vegan who has an agenda that leads to misrepresenting and cherry picking data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 06:09 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Since I have increased my protein intake by about 1/3 over the last 6 months.

1. My workouts are better and I am getting stronger/leaner
2. My thinking is more clear during the day on more protein and more carbs at night to sleep. The perfect combo is some caffeine/protein to get me going in the morning
3. My insomnia can be worse but it's also on days when I probably had too much caffeine.

Overall.......completely worth it.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Since I have increased my protein intake by about 1/3 over the last 6 months.

1. My workouts are better and I am getting stronger/leaner
2. My thinking is more clear during the day on more protein and more carbs at night to sleep. The perfect combo is some caffeine/protein to get me going in the morning
3. My insomnia can be worse but it's also on days when I probably had too much caffeine.

Overall.......completely worth it.
How much protein are you consuming now?

Old 01-29-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
How much protein are you consuming now?
Honestly bro don't count that close I am already in good shape now, prob 70-100 grams against my 6' 194-197lbs

Old 01-29-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Honestly bro don't count that close I am already in good shape now, prob 70-100 grams against my 6' 194-197lbs
Good deal. You could probably get even better results with increasing the intake to about 1-1.5 grams for every pound of LBM.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:01 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
For healthy adults, higher protein consumption isn't a problem. So it's not like consuming extra protein is going to damage your kidneys by itself in the long run.

However, many experts advise against consuming excess protein if you already have existing kidney problems and diseases..

I keep my protein sources varied, using beef, chicken breasts, and salmon, as well as whey protein. And I drink plenty of water to keep my kidneys flushed and healthy.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:13 PM

You should drink more water if you eat more protein true.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:53 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
ive increased my protein also...

with positive results.

im over 50 now,

and paying more attention to food intake and health... many of my same age group friends..use to love to say "i don't eat red meat anymore" or cut back on meat,,,usually because the guys wife is pushing for that,,,,
and when questioning the wives of where they get their info on cutting back meat,,,they would say on tv or the internet....
well, if they cut out meat, they must be filling in with ice cream,,,,many are not the picture of health..
within the last two years,,,ive been sending them more and more articles and recent studies that meat is actually very good for you and has complete proteins and,,,that we in fact do need fat..

more and more are going on high protein diets with encouraging results

some days that's all I eat is meat.....
by what the anti meat agenda folks say,,,i shouldn't have lived to age 40

im over 50, can bench press over 300lb and don't lift much,,,take no medications,, have no allergies, very rarely get sick (haven't called sick into work for 6 years)
my dr. wishes he had my blood results,,,and he's on a plant based diet
" whatever you are doing, keep doing it" is what my dr. tells me

this past Christmas at two family gatherings.....even the ladies are admitting they got "shamed" by the health Nazi's into eating less meat,,,and by vegans they have known

and its much more enjoyable at gatherings,,,,when we eat good food in peace and not feel we are going to get lectured and shamed about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness