Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 02:47 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,213,673 times

Advertisements

Mcfly....stop sharting up the forum with your emotionally unstable verbal diarrhea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 02:49 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
Mcfly....stop sharting up the forum with your emotionally unstable verbal diarrhea.
I accept your surrender.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
That's an even stronger case for keeping carbs, honestly. You need a caloric surplus to build muscle, yes?.
Well, yes and no I think. If it's purely about increasing appetite rapidly then sure....go eat some white bread and cookies.

But I'm going on his relatively light eating regimen. If that's all he can put down then he really needs to add everything to his diet. But short of that....adding protein will help him add muscle slowly which in turn will increase his need to supply energy to these muscles in the form of calories. Not as fast as ingesting a 1500 calorie shake every night but much more healthy in my opinion.

I just hesitate to say adding calories without regard for where they come from is a good thing as it makes for poor eating habits which are not always easy to break later. As I said earlier, if all he cares about doing is bulking up then that's up to him...but I didn't get that impression.

He of course needs to do other things in addition like dramatically lifting heavier to failure with less reps.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:05 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
If he's not eating a caloric surplus, he's not going to add mass, period. It matters not how much protein he eats.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
If he's not eating a caloric surplus, he's not going to add mass, period. It matters not how much protein he eats.
As a rule of thumb...sure.

But surely you aren't equating "weight gain" with "muscle mass" are you?

Maybe i missed it somewhere...but we don't know that he cares about gaining weight, he just said he wants to increase muscle mass. So while that probably means he'll gain some weight, we don't know that he wants to necessarily. Maybe he wants to gain muscle mass and reduce his BMI as well?

Old 02-01-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Really don't understand why we're having such trouble pounding this point home here. It's a very simple concept, is it not?

Old 02-01-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
As a rule of thumb...sure.

But surely you aren't equating "weight gain" with "muscle mass" are you?

Maybe i missed it somewhere...but we don't know that he cares about gaining weight, he just said he wants to increase muscle mass. So while that probably means he'll gain some weight, we don't know that he wants to necessarily. Maybe he wants to gain muscle mass and reduce his BMI as well?
....I literally have no words for this.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
....I literally have no words for this.
Go cry about it in your bag of carb-fueled Cheetos then.

You are literally crying about somebody on the Internet man. Get a grip and realize you have some things to learn.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Go cry about it in your bag of carb-fueled Cheetos then.

You are literally crying about somebody on the Internet man. Get a grip and realize you have some things to learn.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:25 PM

Lol....lame with the u mad bro when clearly you are showing you've been broken Mcfly.

Your fantasies aside...I doubt we're very far apart in the solution here. You are just trying to parse words because you have some sort of thing about anybody suggesting that higher carbs aren't the answer for muscle mass. As a matter of fact, you won't gain any muscle from a carbohydrate. And if you didn't know that I'm sorry to say you are wrong.

They are a fast and easy fuel for energy needs. Too much and you store fat. Too little and you will burn your body fat and then move to your muscles. So sure, you do want some carbs in your diet but saying you can't gain muscle while remaining approximately the same weight, is foolish. This is what happens with a neutral caloric intake but requires higher protein...you know, the stuff that actually converts to amino acids for muscle building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness