Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 10:25 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,249,829 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the advice.

Can I eat eggs everyday?
I've been eating it pretty consistently.

Today I had Kellogs K Protein cereal, Cheeseburger and Fries (I know, lol), and Chopped salad that included steak, egg, turkey bacon, potatoes, cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 10:29 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Thanks for the advice.

Can I eat eggs everyday?
I've been eating it pretty consistently.

Today I had Kellogs K Protein cereal, Cheeseburger and Fries (I know, lol), and Chopped salad that included steak, egg, turkey bacon, potatoes, cheese.
- yes

- you're still not eating anywhere close to enough

Old 02-03-2016, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
- yes

- you're still not eating anywhere close to enough
I think it's best to increase my food gradually. Maybe I'll work with a personal nutritionist.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:17 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
...Maybe I'll work with a personal nutritionist.

Sounds like a good idea.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:00 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
I think it's best to increase my food gradually.
I don't really see any benefit to that, but if it makes it easier for you, good enough.

Quote:
Maybe I'll work with a personal nutritionist.
Not a bad idea in theory, but many dietitians go strictly by the RDA guidebook. Make sure you discuss your goals with them first. Asking them what they recommend for protein intake would be a good start, and if they don't recommend AT LEAST .85g/lb of lbm, they are not going to be right for you.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:35 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
A sports nutritionist would probably be a safer bet.

OP - make sure to CLEARLY communicate your goals to whomever you talk to about nutrition. If you feel like you're over-explaining and beating a dead horse, you're probably at the right amount.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:03 PM

1,982 posts, read 973,595 times
To gain muscle mass you need to:

1. Lift heavy enough to create muscular hypertrophy.
2. Consistently eat a small caloric surplus (250-500 calories) above maintenance.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:48 PM

Another reason it's hard for me to eat more is because I have a job where I'm on the run during the day (going place to place). Eating out is not easy. What option do I have? Prep the food before and take it with me? Wouldn't it spoil? I don't know how you guys do it.

And I was told that eating eggs everyday was not safe due to cholesterol. Instead, eating egg whites is safer.

Also, I was told lifting too heavy would cause injury.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:04 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Quote:
Another reason it's hard for me to eat more is because I have a job where I'm on the run during the day (going place to place). Eating out is not easy. What option do I have? Prep the food before had and take it with me? Wouldn't it spoil? I don't know how you guys do it.

And I was told that eating eggs everyday was not safe due to cholesterol. Instead, eating egg whites is safer.

Also, I was told lifting too heavy would cause injury.
You've been given a lot of good and simple advice in this thread, but you seem to keep repeating yourself by raising the same issues that have already been answered. Whole eggs are not bad. No one's saying you have to do 1 rep maxes every time in the gym.

Gaining mass is not that hard.

Eat more calories, and work out with more intensity.

You don't need a nutritionist, you don't need a personal trainer, it really isn't that hard. There's plenty of free resources on youtube on diet advice, mass gaining advice, workout advice, food prep, etc., be it a person a hard gainer, someone always on the run, etc.

I'm in my 40's and have gotten a lot of good muscle growth the past month.

I've been increasing my calorie intake. I'm not eating fast food everyday, but I'm not afraid to eat take out like Chipotle and the like. I don't shy away from red meat, things like cookies and chocolate. At times I cook my own food of chicken breasts or ground meat the night before. Protein shakes and bars supplement my protein intake. I don't count my calories but make sure that I eat enough by feel.

But in order to convert those calories to muscle, I push my body in the gym. I work out my body parts at least twice a week. I strive to use a weight that is heavy enough so I could only do 5-7 reps, and I do at least 5-8 sets per exercise. By the time I am done working out, I can barely do any more reps for that body part, and I am sore in a few days. Just doing 3 sets of 10 reps per body part won't cut it.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:09 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
The egg/cholesterol thing is now thought to be untrue. Enjoy your eggs.

Here's a menu plan.

Breakfast

3 eggs scrambled with cheddar and salsa

Snack

Cheese cubes and grapes

Lunch

Chicken salad on lettuce

Snack

Greek yogurt and a banana

Dinner

steak, green beans, and a baked potato

Snack

hard boiled egg

The idea is more stomach space goes to protein and less to starches. You will eat more chicken salad if it's on lettuce instead of bread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness