Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 09:39 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I have a rather irregular rotation, but I generally get 2 leg days in every week. I alternate between squatting heavy and deadlifting heavy as my rotation progresses. If it's a heavy squat week I squat first and the same goes for heavy deadlift week.

I was doing sumo on back day and I do feel them in my lower back, but it's secondary and I've found better results moving it to leg day. I do stiff leg on back day now.

yeah just as long as you arent squatting AND deadlifting in the same training session.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 10:43 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
yeah just as long as you arent squatting AND deadlifting in the same training session.
Actually I do and have for quite a while now to pretty solid results. But the catch is I never do heavy on both lifts on the same day. With that said I am constantly evaluating what I am doing and looking for ways to be more effective. I recently read advice for those like me who do squat and DL on the same day generally not to squat after DL. Squat first, then DL. So it's worth it to me to give that some thought.

Last edited by iknowftbll; 02-10-2016 at 11:01 AM..

Old 02-10-2016, 11:05 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Myth. Badly in need of debunking. Why can't you squat and deadlift in the same session? Will something fall off? You don't have to squat and deadlift in the same session if you don't want to. But, if you want to... go for it. I think Rippetoe would agree. I don't know much about his philosophy but I used to read a lot of training advice from Stuart McRobert. His "Hardgainer" training regimen was no nonsense, heavy compound lifts, low frequency training.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:03 PM

3,041 posts, read 5,001,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I agree, just trying to figure out where that statement might have come from.
Watch anyone that squats and deadlifts wide. Belyaev, Dan Green, etc. Watch from the side.

If you treat the sumo like a wide stance conventional, you're going to end up stiff legged lifting it up. It's a push off the floor and pull back to finish.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:06 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
The Wendler "Boring But Big" methodology has you squatting and deadlifting on the same day. It's just that only one movement is heavy, the other is 5x10 @ 60-70%.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:10 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Quote:
The Wendler "Boring But Big" methodology has you squatting and deadlifting on the same day. It's just that only one movement is heavy, the other is 5x10 @ 60-70%.
That's actually pretty similar to what I do.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Actually I do and have for quite a while now to pretty solid results. But the catch is I never do heavy on both lifts on the same day. With that said I am constantly evaluating what I am doing and looking for ways to be more effective. I recently read advice for those like me who do squat and DL on the same day generally not to squat after DL. Squat first, then DL. So it's worth it to me to give that some thought.
doing them on the same day but one lighter than the other is ok. I do know some people who train both heavy on the same day, and just from reading and research, the reason alot of people think that it isnt optimal is that both are very taxing on the CNS. I can just about guarantee that anyone doing both heavy in the same session would see better results by doing them on different days....but people are different, Im not gonna say that some cant see good results from both heavies in one day.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:

eh, I dont think so. Ive been doing Wendlers off and on for two years. Just to be sure, I loaded the app just to double check(even though i did deads and BBB last night). Boring But Big(or Big and Dumb...same thing) for Deadlift day is 5x10 Deadlifts at 50% of training weight, then hanging leg raise. On squat day, it's Squat 5x10 at 50% of training weight and then leg curls.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:06 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
eh, I dont think so. Ive been doing Wendlers off and on for two years. Just to be sure, I loaded the app just to double check(even though i did deads and BBB last night). Boring But Big(or Big and Dumb...same thing) for Deadlift day is 5x10 Deadlifts at 50% of training weight, then hanging leg raise. On squat day, it's Squat 5x10 at 50% of training weight and then leg curls.
Or you can do alternate movements in the BBB, "working" squats and then 5x10 deads instead of 5x10 squats, then the opposite on the next lower-body day.

There was a thread about it on T-Nation, I believe.

Found it:

"...So after you perform your 5/3/1 squat workout, do 5 sets of 10 reps with the deadlift. You'll flip the other days as well..."

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/bo...onth-challenge

Written by Mr. Wendler himself.

I believe the programming in the 5/3/1 book has you doing squats/squats and deadlifts/deadlifts in the BBB program, though, yes.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:38 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
At 50% is fine, I was just was reading it as if he was lifting heavy on the deads and squats on the same day, which I find in my opinion, odd and inefficient.

Lifting at 50% is basically a warm up, nothing wrong with it, everyone does it in some form or another. For me, I never even discuss warmup weights, if someone asks me what I do, I state something like "Mondays I bench, squat, and row", but only if the discussion gets into details to I start about everything in between, like pullups, jump squats, burpees, the 50% deads, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness