Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 04:23 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,479,957 times

Advertisements

I have a problem with feeling guilty for resting on rest days. I ran the past four days in a row and I know that if I don't run tomorow that I will be bugged with guilt for it. Knowing myself I will most likely run because I will feel itchy to do it. I know with my logical thinking mind that I need rest and it how my body gets stronger but breeding of guilt always creep in. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 05:01 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Get stronger mentally?

Old 02-18-2016, 07:11 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,419,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
I have a problem with feeling guilty for resting on rest days. I ran the past four days in a row and I know that if I don't run tomorow that I will be bugged with guilt for it. Knowing myself I will most likely run because I will feel itchy to do it. I know with my logical thinking mind that I need rest and it how my body gets stronger but breeding of guilt always creep in. Any advice?
You should feel good knowing your body is getting it's needed rest. Especially when it comes to running. Running is TERRIBLE on your body. Good cardiovascular wise, but terrible on the rest of you. Plenty of ways to get in good cardio and keep the ticker healthy without demolishing your joints!

Old 02-18-2016, 07:16 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,479,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Get stronger mentally?
Yes but would I them feel guilty about skipping my mental push-ups! Lol

Seriously though I get itchy feeling, restless when I don't run. Maybe I'm addicted to the endorphins. I really do need to think of a way to stop feeling I am doing something wrong by skipping a day or two a week.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:37 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Happens to me as well OP. But I learned when you body signals a need to rest you rest.

100 Burpees AKA Death by Burpees takes care of that need if you feel as a caged animal.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:44 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
One overuse injury will cure you of said guilt very quickly. I've had several in my life - shoulders, knees, tendonitis, back...you name it. I've learned that in order to gain you have to take days off every 3 to 4 days.

But if you are just running - no weightlifting.....I think you could sort of cure yourself with a 20-30 minute walk outdoors. That's typically what I do on my days off to make me feel better and get the blood moving a bit. And do it outdoors if you can, there is something to be said about sunshine and fresh air.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:15 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
One overuse injury will cure you of said guilt very quickly. I've had several in my life - shoulders, knees, tendonitis, back...you name it. I've learned that in order to gain you have to take days off every 3 to 4 days.

But if you are just running - no weightlifting.....I think you could sort of cure yourself with a 20-30 minute walk outdoors. That's typically what I do on my days off to make me feel better and get the blood moving a bit. And do it outdoors if you can, there is something to be said about sunshine and fresh air.
Excellent advice ^^^. Yup, those injuries cure one VERY quickly! I have had several. I agree that walking might be good for the OP, IF it does NOT lead to running!

Old 02-19-2016, 12:16 PM

230 posts, read 161,254 times
I have difficulty taking rest days also. Most times I'll go for 10 - 12 days straight before taking a rest day. When my body needs a break I'll do yoga, barre, cardio dance, and/or Pilates. Just to clarify, I do mix up my workouts each day.

Just saw this article today, which implies that steady-state cardio may have significant benefits to the brain, so keep on enjoying those runs.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:22 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
The older I get, the more important rest days become. I've found that when I push myself and don't rest I tend to get injured. Then I really go crazy knowing that I can't do anything for the next month. One thing that stuck with me from my old bike racing days is the importance of rest and taking a break. I was friends with more than a few pro cyclists and almost all of them took one full day of rest off a week. Then had one other day of the week where they just soft pedaled around for an hour. At the end of the season, they took time to pursue other activities like hiking, running, skiing and hitting the gym.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:53 PM

393 posts, read 409,039 times
Yes, the rest day guilt, or just stir crazy. I find myself going for 8-9 days, and once I'm in a stretch I just keep going. My mind is telling me, well I'll go a couple more days, and then take 2 days off in a row. Never happens.

I usually force myself to have a rest day, tuesday is my rest day. Once I get into the habit of it, it's natural.

One reason I think I have a problem with rest days is I'm addicted to the feeling, the endorphins. But also, I think somewhere in the deep recesses of my subconscious I feel that once I stop I may never start again.

Never will happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness