Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 12:26 PM

4,218 posts, read 4,741,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Do you know this person? I find it hard to believe he would do this to a stranger. Have you given him the impression that it is ok to "joke around with you"?

No, I don't know this person. I've let it slide way too many times so yes, now he thinks it's ok. He often uses it as a way to start a conversation with me it seems. Although I'm never interested...I mean, I'm working out which is why this is highly annoying. A few weeks ago he came up to me in the middle of a set and told me I was lifting incorrectly and tried to tell me how to do it 'right'...he introduced himself then but I don't even remember his name. I just think he thinks it's harmless fun...and since I'm not being mean about it, when I tell him "I'm fine at the level I'm at..." then he often times uses that as a means to start a short convo (about much of nothing). So I get I'm at fault here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You need to tell him in no uncertain terms that he CANNOT do that. It's dangerous. If he won't stop, go to his supervisor and tell him that if you fall off the machine due to the speed being increased as a "joke" that the joke will be on them when they have to make a huge liability payment.

He may be annoying but the burden is on you to get it to stop. You could also physically push his hand away or shout at him if he comes near your machine. This is not a time to be shy.

Edit - I just saw that you said you don't usually see him coming. Is there a towel you can drape over the buttons on the machine so that he can't reach them? Beyond that, you really do need to speak to a supervisor, or next time take some sort of dramatic action. I would never put up with that. If it happened twice, I would make sure it never happened a third time.

I actually usually pull a handful of paper towels to work out with so I don't usually have a towel to drape over the machine with me. Of course, this shouldn't be necessary though and you're right that I need to speak up about it instead of continuing to be passive and accepting that this might happen like 70% of the time I come into that particular gym. I have watched him a few times and noticed him chatting up a few other people (which is expected) from time to time but I have never seen him do this to anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 08:12 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I used to live in NYC so yeah that doesn't surprise me. But I live in the Austin suburbs now and I don't have that issue thankfully.

And I'm familiar with gym etiquette. I actually don't care if someone asks to work in a set but as I stated it's not really an issue in my neighborhood suburban 24/7 gym where people come and go whenever and its rarely crowded enough that people have to wait.

I'm not really a fan of crowded gyms anyway so it's a win where I'm at now.
I've been to a few of the chain gyms I still hold memberships to in that area and it's quite blissful. Even in the morning rushes, there's still more than enough room on the floor and abundance of equipment to where it's rare to have to feel rushed while trying to get a proper workout in.
I just now reactivated the membership to the local joint after fixing my cards. With a new, Planet Fitness that opened up here, one could only hope that joint siphoned the crowd away and turned the local joint into a quiet zone.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:26 PM

1,199 posts, read 660,389 times
Over a period of ten years working out at three different fitness centers, I have rarely ever had a problem with anyone or with the fitness centers themselves. The first one I went to was very popular and crowded, but I always found a way to do what I came for. The second fitness center was much smaller but everyone knew each other and it was great! I never felt that anyone was judging me and people were generally encouraging and friendly. Over the last year I switched to the local YMCA which is HUGE and has everything you could ever want...weights/machines, cardio machines, swimming pool, racquet ball courts, climbing wall, stretching areas, and much more. The reason I switched to this gym is the third floor huge open dance studio. I love to do dance and ballet improvisation. I can spend hours at it. Such a great form of self expression, cardio, even resistance and endurance depending on how much floor work or jumping I do in my dancing. I am fortunate that this studio is wide open for use at least four days a week and rarely anyone goes up there in the early morning hours. And the wooden floor is great for spinning and turning, and soft enough to leap on.

My only major pet peeve is when people turn knobs too tight on the machines, and I can't loosen them. Not everyone who works out at a gym is 200 lbs of muscle mass lol.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:05 PM

93 posts, read 84,280 times
I wouldn't call it an annoyance, just an observation. Seeing people circling the parking lot to get that close spot when one opens up, and then immediately going in and getting on the treadmill for 45 minutes.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:50 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,047,081 times
Not really an annoyance, but I notice some regulars who wear the same clothes EVERYDAY to the gym. And these people work up a sweat. Now, they don't seem like the cheap or poor type and I seriously doubt they wash their gym wear everyday. And one actually has the white dry sweat stains on his shirt. That's just nasty. Just an observation.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:25 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,039,700 times
Quote:
Do you know this person? I find it hard to believe he would do this to a stranger. Have you given him the impression that it is ok to "joke around with you"?
I do believe the poster mentioned the guy is a staff member at the club. Which is even worse because staff should know better!

Old 08-08-2017, 10:42 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,306 times
This lady isn't necessarily annoying, but I'm always baffled every time I see her at the gym. Whenever she's there, she'll bring in 2-3 small blankets (not yoga mats) and lays them down on the main stretching floor, while everyone else is just there to do their warm up and cool down. She comes in and does the most ridiculous yoga poses. The type of poses that can kill you if you're not flexible. She is not hot or anything, so not sure if she's trying to attract attention for her body or just wants to show off how flexible she is. What's the point of paying $100 a month for a gym membership if you're just using the floor to do your yoga poses?

Old 08-08-2017, 11:38 AM

9,383 posts, read 8,356,698 times
Quote:
Not really an annoyance, but I notice some regulars who wear the same clothes EVERYDAY to the gym. And these people work up a sweat. Now, they don't seem like the cheap or poor type and I seriously doubt they wash their gym wear everyday. And one actually has the white dry sweat stains on his shirt. That's just nasty. Just an observation.
YES YES YES!!! I so badly want to ask them if they have a closet full of the same shirt/shorts/socks/shoes or if they truly wear the same nasty, sweaty clothes 5 days in a row. Too funny.....every gym I've ever worked out at has at least one or two people who wear the same clothes Mon-Fri.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:43 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
YES YES YES!!! I so badly want to ask them if they have a closet full of the same shirt/shorts/socks/shoes or if they truly wear the same nasty, sweaty clothes 5 days in a row. Too funny.....every gym I've ever worked out at has at least one or two people who wear the same clothes Mon-Fri.
Well chalk me up as one that DOES have several identical articles of workout clothing. When I find something comfortable, I stock up and there's not always a variety of colors.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:04 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Well chalk me up as one that DOES have several identical articles of workout clothing. When I find something comfortable, I stock up and there's not always a variety of colors.
Hey man as long as you don't stink you're good to go I say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness