Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2018, 06:01 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,735,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
A common theme, but not long ago I was working out at a local gym around 5 in the morning.

I didn't see anyone using the leg press machine, so put my towel on there to use it. As I did so, some guy that was doing a chest press machine near me felt a need to tell me that he was going to use that machine, but....

I was like, oh, so what.

Truly despise those 'circuit training' fools who have a need to hog multiple machines.
I think circuit training is okay as long as people aren't trying to "claim" multiple machines. If you're doing a circuit in a commercial gym, you just need to accept the fact that when you get to the 3rd or 4th exercise in your circuit, that you may have to wait a little bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 06:04 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I appreciate that. That's a few less 45 lb. plates that I have to load.

I bet you do! Ha!

Old 07-12-2018, 06:34 AM

1,347 posts, read 944,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
the gym's employees, aka "trainers" (meant to be in quotes as many of them are as much of a trainer as I am an astronaut)
I almost spit out my coffee. Thanks for the morning laugh.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:21 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,038,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
I almost spit out my coffee. Thanks for the morning laugh.
I think the main thing they are there for is to prevent someone from becoming flattened under weights, or flying off a treadmill.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:46 PM

24,596 posts, read 9,434,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Truly despise those 'circuit training' fools who have a need to hog multiple machines.
Some people are simply too stupid to understand common courtesy. Circuit training is for personal gyms, not public or membership ones.

There is a guy who goes to the gym like clockwork, older guy, so I can admire his consistency. But damn does he do the same stupid circuit training on iso machines every day. No progression, no compound exercises, just simple iso machine movements via circuit training.

Old 07-14-2018, 01:18 AM

574 posts, read 376,566 times
Personal Trainers.

I think there is a wide variation of knowledge among personal trainers. Some gyms would send you to a few classes at night and "presto" you are a personal trainer.

Ask them how much school they have? My company would not hire anyone with less than a bachelors degree.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:21 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,473,186 times
people selling services at the entrance. Chiropractors, etc. Annoying that I have to deal with that after paying for a membership. Same problem at Costco.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:50 AM

6,416 posts, read 1,426,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
I love working out. I work out about 5 days a week. I like go to the gym. There is one issue though. People that ride your ass at the gym when you are walking. I walk moderately fast paces, but every time I walk into the Gym. I always have some A-hole walking right up behind me all fast as if they were tail gating me in a car. Sometimes they are walking so fast behind me , I could hear them breath . In my mind I really want to turn around and say WHERE THE HELL IS THE FIRE? WHAT ARE YOU AMPED UP ON?

Usually I will just politely stop, turn around and have my hand for them to go. They usually look at me weird, but they get the point.

Last time I was going up the stairs and I had a girl riding so close to me that she actually tripped into my back.

Does this not happen to anyone ? What the hell is wrong with people? Anyone just feel like turning around and smacking them?

LOL! Haha, I laughed out loud at this. My gym has a track and a sign , just like cars, walkers go on the outside lane and runners (faster) inside. This solves the problem, and I am usually running, and I just pass the walkers. Everyone is cool about it...

Old 07-14-2018, 08:17 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,038,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
LOL! Haha, I laughed out loud at this. My gym has a track and a sign , just like cars, walkers go on the outside lane and runners (faster) inside. This solves the problem, and I am usually running, and I just pass the walkers. Everyone is cool about it...
All of this should be common sense! sheez....

Old 07-14-2018, 08:21 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,342,991 times
The dancing bear. Yes, we all have them. The folks who are either so oblivious to the world around them or actually think it looks cool to dance.....yes, dance.....with their headphones on between sets. At my previous gym, we had a younger millennial male who would dance before, DURING, and after each set with one eye on himself in the mirror and another looking around to see who is noticing him and his coolness. Had another older black male who would literally dance on the treadmill. It was such a production that a local news station came by and ran a story on him. I feel like his purpose for the gym was actually not to workout, but to draw attention to himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness