Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2016, 01:46 PM

298 posts, read 270,776 times

Advertisements

Just like some companies don't want to hire smokers, some don't want obese people. It's not just the health insurance costs. Smokers smell and spend time on breaks; all that cuts on productivity and creates image issues with clients and company culture. In some jobs, hiring obese people to be at the front desk doesn't go well. Or in jobs where that person is dealing with customers all the time. Especially in high end sales, like in Nordstroms, Bergdorf, etc. Performing arts and beauty markets aside, in many luxury markets, you just don't see certain demo groups like smokers and the obese. They have an image that some companies don't want to project to their clients and shareholders. Looks severely matters in some industries. Fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 02:21 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erauso1592 View Post
Just like some companies don't want to hire smokers, some don't want obese people. It's not just the health insurance costs. Smokers smell and spend time on breaks; all that cuts on productivity and creates image issues with clients and company culture. In some jobs, hiring obese people to be at the front desk doesn't go well. Or in jobs where that person is dealing with customers all the time. Especially in high end sales, like in Nordstroms, Bergdorf, etc. Performing arts and beauty markets aside, in many luxury markets, you just don't see certain demo groups like smokers and the obese. They have an image that some companies don't want to project to their clients and shareholders. Looks severely matters in some industries. Fact.
Absolutely, the data shows the "indirect" cost aspect of it, productivity in the work place, etc.:

Economic Costs | Obesity Prevention Source | Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health

YaleNews | Obesity among American workers costs the nations billions in lost productivity

Old 03-05-2016, 03:21 PM

298 posts, read 270,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
clearly. but yet you're always going to have people who will insist "you're a fat shamer" you're a "hater."

I just want to know - seriously now: Do they want their child to marry an obese person or a smoker? Do they want their adult child to raise children in that type of household? Where there is smoking every day and eating shyte while sitting in front of the tube? I don't wanna hear "if it makes my child happy to do marry them..." BS. Come on. How many of these fat activists want to sit on a plane, first class seating, next to someone obese who needs 2 seats and is sweating like Niagara Falls right next to them? Would you hire an obese, sweaty woman to handle front desk at a luxury beauty spa in Beverly Hills/Upper East Side NYC where the clientele are F500/celebrities? Hire as a salesperson for Sotheby's International Real Estate or Christie's auction house? Take a look at some of the profiles of the folks who work in those places. Their photos are there, right on the company websites. You can tell by the face if someone is obese or not.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:34 PM

48 posts, read 125,709 times
I'll never understand why it's suddenly ok to be overweight to the point where thin people get made fun of. MY wife is 5-8 118 fit, lean, yet get's ripped on a ton here in OK, told to "eat a cheeseburger" hell she eats more than me!! she takes great care of herself, yet those wonderful okies insist she's a meth-head due to her size!! How sad it is that a thin fit woman who takes care of herself gets shamed, yet fatties insist we accept and praise them as so beautiful. Screw that!! I'll take 5-8 118 lbs ANYday!!

Old 03-05-2016, 03:35 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Quote:
Are you done with your silly rant? Forgot your meds today? Circus art as a business does not employ overweight people in trapeze or gymnastics; Clowns ok. Ballet and ballroom dancing? No. How many overweight "Dancing with the Stars" actual working dancers do you see? The guest stars ok yes. How about the judges? How about ice sports ;remember Nancy Kerrigan? is ballet dancer Misty Copeland overweight? These careers require certain BMI index and ATHLETICISM. You can't perform when as as female you are 5'6 and weight 190lbs. ART is a business. Working artists who make a living have to look a certain way. It's business. Sure you have a singer like Adele, but you don't see her dressed like Madonna, who has a dance background. Calvin Klein, are his models like that cellulite woman? I don't know, does he even have a plus line? How about all the other top people. Carolina Herrera, Chanel, De la Renta, etc. - Are you ever going to see Tom with Giselle Bundchen if she ever gains all that weight? How about Mr. Trump? Have you seen any of his wives? Ivana Trump, his only brainy wife who helped to make him into what he's become, was a champion skiier in her native Slovakia before she met him.

Beauty is power. Obesity is not. It's not attractive, not healthy and very costly. A lot of the men in power actually don't like obese women. They don't want obese children. You may think it's not fair, but that's life. - as far as racists and homophobes, I don't like them either. Don't lump me in with them. Far cry here.

Off my meds? LOL. Is that the best you got today? In my opinion you are a write off in terms of possibly being open minded or respectful towards other poeple. So whatever I am saying is really mean't for anyone else reading this. Maybe the world is composed of 2 types of temperments a: leaders and b: followers. Those who choose to follow nonsensical views about what can or cannot be done that any old village idiot with a big mouth, feel free to follow people like Erauso1592 off a cliff. As for the others who just don't feel like being that blind, narrow minded or oppresed you can choose to be a leader and not be lead astray. Your options are only as limited as you let them be . If you want to be something outside of the box and break the mould go for it! You say Ashyley can not be a model... well she is! She has already proven she can be a model because she is. If something has already happened and you still doubt that it can happen ... maybe you need to be on meds. Now do you want to debate why a man can't walk on the moon too? Why a black man can't be present? Why a woman can't run a successul company? I am not pushing anyone to want to gain weight or to want to loose weight. I am pushing that people need to be accepting of the FACT that people come in all shapes and sizes and should be treated with respect even if you don't like their life choices.

They were all told at some point they could not do somethings by small minded negative people ... but looks who is laughing now!!!

Be a leader.. not a loser! Don't let anyone's opinion drag you down!

Old 03-05-2016, 03:38 PM

Default ... also ....

Quote:
clearly. but yet you're always going to have people who will insist "you're a fat shamer" you're a "hater."

I just want to know - seriously now: Do they want their child to marry an obese person or a smoker? Do they want their adult child to raise children in that type of household? Where there is smoking every day and eating shyte while sitting in front of the tube? I don't wanna hear "if it makes my child happy to do marry them..." BS. Come on. How many of these fat activists want to sit on a plane, first class seating, next to someone obese who needs 2 seats and is sweating like Niagara Falls right next to them? Would you hire an obese, sweaty woman to handle front desk at a luxury beauty spa in Beverly Hills/Upper East Side NYC where the clientele are F500/celebrities? Hire as a salesperson for Sotheby's International Real Estate or Christie's auction house? Take a look at some of the profiles of the folks who work in those places. Their photos are there, right on the company websites. You can tell by the face if someone is obese or not.
Even more importantly then that .. would anyone want their child to marry a bully, a sexist, a racist, homophone or in general a person that lack respect for other human beings?

Old 03-05-2016, 03:42 PM

Default Everyone is different ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turpentine View Post
I'll never understand why it's suddenly ok to be overweight to the point where thin people get made fun of. MY wife is 5-8 118 fit, lean, yet get's ripped on a ton here in OK, told to "eat a cheeseburger" hell she eats more than me!! she takes great care of herself, yet those wonderful okies insist she's a meth-head due to her size!! How sad it is that a thin fit woman who takes care of herself gets shamed, yet fatties insist we accept and praise them as so beautiful. Screw that!! I'll take 5-8 118 lbs ANYday!!
Everyone is different. People have different genetics as well as lifestyle factors. It should not be okay either way to push ideals on anyone. Take people as they are and let them work out the details on their own.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:22 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,005 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turpentine View Post
I think it's simply a case of misery loves company, people trying to justify their poor diet/lifestyle choices as valid and in a warped way, throw it back on others who are fit/trim as the one's with the problem.

My mother in law, who is a nice person, is morbidly obese. She says the same thing to my wife and I....we are "too thin" in a concerning way. We are indeed slim and toned but to her way of thinking we are "too thin".

Bizarre the psychological aspect of it all.

To me this isn't a game of being mean or whatever. It's simply calling a duck a duck. At one point in my life, I got a bit lazy with diet/activity and ate too much junk food and noticed a gut developing. I didn't like it at all and did something about it. I could have been in denial and played all sorts of mind games and labeled it something beyond my own poor diet/lifestyle habits, start calling others "too skinny", but I made a decision to not play that game.

Choices.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:25 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,089,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erauso1592
Some friends of mine saw "the fat heifer on the cover of Sports Illustrated" (quoting them), they cancelled their subscription. They said it's oxymoronic to put "her" on that type of magazine. Some are going to get turned off and cancel the magazine. That's $ loss. The guys I know in the higher net worth bracket said "you couldn't pay me enough to go on a date with her". One said she'd have to pay HIM to go out. Another said he would take her to an "all you can eat buffet," because he would be too embarrassed to take her to his usual high end restaurant; his coworkers and clients dine there. They said they don't care that she's a "model" - she doesn't look like one. As far as hiring her to work in a clerical administrative, or professional executive roles in their companies, all 4 of the men laughed at me and asked me "what kind of drug are you on??" I asked "what if your younger brother or family relative was dating someone like that?" I was told "THEY WOULDN'T THEY KNOW BETTER."
You know what? When I first saw this post, I honestly thought he was saying all of this to demonstrate how intolerant, obnoxious and hateful some people are, and that THIS is what fat people have to contend with, and isn't it awful.

Now I realize he's expressing his own views and he's proud of them! LOL! You can't make this stuff up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
What makes you think that someone like her would want to date someone like any of you? Some people would go out of their way to look hideous just not to attract the attention of someone that thinks the way you described yourself and your friends.
This is so true. This model is gorgeous and I'm sure she has plenty of guys who are proud to be seen with her. She sure as heck doesn't need to lower herself to be seen with a guy who views her as a "heifer." She's going to avoid them like the plague.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I think what I'm reading in the counter arguments here is NOT that being overweight/obese is a-okay. Pretty much everyone agrees it's healthier to be thinner. People are agreeing that folks should be encouraged to lose weight.

What they are saying is 1. The problem in America my be overstated due to flaws in the BMI metric and 2. (This is the important one for the topic on this thread) TREATING FAT PEOPLE, ESPECIALLY FAT WOMEN, AS HIDEOUS UGLY CREATURES THAT DONT DESERVE TO BE CONSIDERED PRETTY DOESNT MOTIVATE THEM TO LOSE WEIGHT. Many studies have reinforced this idea. It may seem counterintuitive, but heavier models don't "glamorize" being overweight. They help overweight people feel good enough about themselves, and less self conscious, so they they are more likely to develop the SELF-ESTEEM that ACTUALLY motivates weight loss. You have to love yourself in order to develop the motivation to stick with that kind of lifestyle change. And feeling good in your shorts as you take a walk or in your spandex as you hit the gym is a big asset. SHAME IS NOT A MOTIVATOR FOR MOST FOLKS. if your goal is really to have people lose weight, we need more Ashley Grahams not less.

This chick actually has fitness videos and whatnot. Apparently she's inspiring people her size to work out more. Just marinate on that for a second. She's actually helping your cause.
Shhhhhh. Shhhhhh! Hush now! They don't want to hear it! It could work and fat people will be able to lose weight without being miserable, hated, punished all the time!

They don't want fat people to actually feel good. They want them to be miserable. Fat people feeling miserable is far more important than fat people losing weight. It must be, because every time it's pointed out that shaming doesn't help, and in fact makes things worse, we get pushback, arguments, complaints about "political correctness" and "enabling" and basically all variety of rationalization and resistance to the idea that treating fat people like garbage is not a helpful thing.

Last edited by elvira310; 03-05-2016 at 04:38 PM..

Old 03-05-2016, 05:22 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
I don't know if anyone else has already written this but, I think Cheryl Teigs comment comes down to one thing only . . . a different generation that was thinner when young.

I'm 57 and it does astound me what has happened to bodies in the last couple of decades. When I look at my yearbooks from high school, everyone is thin. Everyone. The one girl I can remember being "overweight" would be considered merely plump by today's standards.

High school kids that I see now run the gamut of thin to obese, with quite a few being in the obese group.

Something has happened to our food because I don't think people were better at dieting back then. Staying thin was more effortless in general or else you wouldn't see such a difference in photos from then compared to now.

All this is not to say that anyone should make people feel bad about their weight. I'm not convinced it's all their fault because I think there is far more unhealthy food available now and less healthy home cooking because everyone is working.

I think Cheryl looks around in confusion wondering why there is even a need to promote heavier weights. It's not just models that were thin back in the day. Everyone was thinner.

I don't think young people really get how different it was and how that colors our perception of the issue. Go look at group photos from the sixties and seventies and it's striking how bodies have changed. I was reading a book a few years ago and the author had returned to his home town after a few decades away. He said the young girls looked just the same as young girls had looked when he was growing up there . . . except fatter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness