Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 05:39 PM

281 posts, read 25,266 times

Advertisements

I want to learn how to become an experienced swimmer and learn how to swim in deep water. I just recently had an "accident" in which I nearly drowned because I ventured into the deep end of the pool without paying attention. I would like to learn how to prevent that situation again by learning to swim.

So... what are your tips on becoming a swimmer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 06:01 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,139 times
I suggest watching a lot of online videos on how to swim or tread water, get used to having your face in the water, blowing out air underwater without inhaling water and turning to the side to breathe. Getting comfortable in the water, learn to dog paddle.

Take adult swim lessons too.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:11 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
I suggest watching a lot of online videos on how to swim or tread water, get used to having your face in the water, blowing out air underwater without inhaling water and turning to the side to breathe. Getting comfortable in the water, learn to dog paddle.

Take adult swim lessons too.
The part about taking lessons is an especially good suggestion. Check with your local rec department to see whether they offer lessons at a municipal pool, or check out a private gym with a swimming pool.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:38 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,210,287 times
The most important factor in being a good swimmer is having good aerobic capacity. Absent that, the best technique in the world will not save you from drowning in open water.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:51 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,354,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
The most important factor in being a good swimmer is having good aerobic capacity. Absent that, the best technique in the world will not save you from drowning in open water.

have to agree with this. i'm pretty good with treading water myself having grown up near beaches for most of my childhood, but i've never ventured out in deep water, not even in a swimming pool, for longer than 5 minutes. my fear is that even though i can tread water, my legs/arms will start cramping on me after a short while. and that's in deep stagnant water. imagine doing that in open sea with waves hammering over you and nothing to hold on to for flotation.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:25 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,139 times
Quote:
I don't agree with that. Swimming is extremely technique oriented and the better your technique the less energy expenditure and effort it takes compared to someone who's thrashing in the water.

Anyways the OP was asking about deep water in a pool, not open water (I think), which is a whole other ballgame.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:43 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,231,276 times
U.S. Masters Swimming

Old 02-26-2016, 09:10 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
One needs to learn how to swim and practice it in order to have good lung capacity. You can be marathon runner and get gassed swimming a few laps. Technique is everything.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:26 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
True, but I think OP means "I want to be able to swim from the middle of the pool to the wall without issue." This doesn't require much more aerobic capacity than going up a flight of stairs.
There are adult swim classes out there. Look at local community bulletins (for Parks and Rec, the Y, etc...) for lessons.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:57 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
No question about it, take adult swim classes at the Y. I knew how to swim but wanted to be more comfortable, took the classes (one gal was afraid even to put her face in the water). Of all the sports, it's about the most important, it can save your life. it's fun too and you'll learn the different strokes etc. Go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness