Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 03:02 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,765,565 times

Advertisements

Hello,
In the last 10 years I have gained 100lbs. I visited my folks for Thanksgiving this past year (2015), and looked through a few old pictures. I am currently 29, and saw a few of my senior year of high school and freshman year of college. Skinny/sexy me. I want that again! I knew myself well enough that I would not go to the gym on my own accord. I signed up for a Personal Trainer and have been seeing him 3X a week.

It seems like such a drag though! Its only 1 hour of my time, but my heart sinks when I think "oh tomorrow I have to go to the gym". Its a commitment I need to keep (and paid for it), but its just a drag. Maybe its because I haven't seen results yet? Its only been about 3 weeks.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 03:29 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,026,621 times
How you can you see the results when your plate is bigger than what you loose? Don't do it for any one else do it for your self.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:27 AM

16,959 posts, read 17,410,418 times
Find your motivation.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:24 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,016,134 times
I can't tolerate the gym, but I love to do other things. Try to find something you actually enjoy doing. I joined a running club and that really motivates me. Look around for something that is more fun or has a social aspect. Try different sports.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:06 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,574,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Hello,
In the last 10 years I have gained 100lbs. I visited my folks for Thanksgiving this past year (2015), and looked through a few old pictures. I am currently 29, and saw a few of my senior year of high school and freshman year of college. Skinny/sexy me. I want that again! I knew myself well enough that I would not go to the gym on my own accord. I signed up for a Personal Trainer and have been seeing him 3X a week.

It seems like such a drag though! Its only 1 hour of my time, but my heart sinks when I think "oh tomorrow I have to go to the gym". Its a commitment I need to keep (and paid for it), but its just a drag. Maybe its because I haven't seen results yet? Its only been about 3 weeks.

Any advice?

I just started back at a gym with a personal trainer for strength training. I need to be sure the exercises I do are done correctly. I also need to be sure I DON'T lose any weight because I walk so much I have trouble keeping my weight above 110 pounds. Strength training is great for losing inches and turning fat into muscle. However, if you want to lose weight try adding walking 2 or 3 miles a day on your off days. (I know it is hard in cold weather, but, try getting outside on your off days and walk.)

Also, I tend to eat smaller meals 6 times a day. My trainer said that was speeding up my metabolism and combining that with walking 5 miles a day was why I was having problems gaining weight.

Also, if you can afford it, it is well worth it to see a nutritionist who can help you plan meals that provide a good balance of protein, fats, and carbs.

Strength training combined with walking and a balanced diet you should see a big improvement in 3 or 4 months.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:15 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,853,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Hello,

Any advice?
Focus on your diet. That is the most important thing you can do. Exercising is a hurdle for a lot of people, and it may be something you need to ease yourself into. Some trainers really like to push people because that is what is needed, but if you are not mentally ready it could backfire on you.
Stick with it though, try and get your head in the game, and in the meantime try other things you can do - like a couch to 5k program.

Three weeks is nothing. Weight loss takes time. Focus on the journey and not the time. You will get there.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:05 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,575,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
How you can you see the results when your plate is bigger than what you loose? Don't do it for any one else do it for your self.

Yeah don't LOSE your mind and think that you can still eat a lot of food. In order to LOSE weight you must eat less than you burn daily. Then, when you accomplish that, your pants will get LOOSE.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:07 PM

806 posts, read 963,348 times
I don't like gyms either and the thought of being stuck in a small space surrounded by fat sweaty smelly people just don't appeal to me at all. I refuse to join even though my family is trying to force me.

Instead I go trail running/hiking 7-10 miles in the mountains where I am all alone for the most part. I do carry a weapon since I have run in to crackheads and complete nutjobs before.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:26 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,853,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
I don't like gyms either and the thought of being stuck in a small space surrounded by fat sweaty smelly people just don't appeal to me at all. I refuse to join even though my family is trying to force me.

Instead I go trail running/hiking 7-10 miles in the mountains where I am all alone for the most part. I do carry a weapon since I have run in to crackheads and complete nutjobs before.
There are crackheads on the mountain trails?

Old 01-25-2016, 04:30 PM

806 posts, read 963,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
There are crackheads on the mountain trails?

They're everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness