Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 08:34 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,302,520 times

Advertisements

I'm a 46 yr old female. I've had 3 kids, the youngest just 3 years ago at the ripe old age of 43.

Until the last 5 years or so, I've been more fit than your "average" woman, I think. I was always lean and fit (but never "skinny") in high school and college. I was on the cheer squad in HS and dance team in college, and that kept me in shape. After college, I joined a gym and did step-aerobics religiously while that was "the thing" (complete with bike shorts and thong leotards! )

Honestly, the best I've ever looked was when I was 34-35 and did kickboxing classes 3 times a week. I've also done intense weight training....30 minutes of give-it-all-you got free weight lifting and very little cardio. That gave me good results also.

Then I got remarried and moved and started a new job and got pregnant and built a new house and.......I've let myself go.

I know myself well enough to recognize I don't have good willpower. I need a class environment and peer pressure/coaching/encouragement to keep me going.

so that brings me to Cross-Fit. I admit, I've often thought "those people" were a little strange and cult-like. But now, maybe that's exactly what I need. I need something that's just for ME....not my job or my husband or my kids. And I need something that doesn't take huge amounts of time.

Does Cross-Fit sound like a good "fit" for me? I have 2 cross-fit groups very close to my home, so it would at least be convenient.

Stats: I'm 5'3", small frame, and currently weigh between 140-145 (depending on day, time of month, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 08:38 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,842,681 times
I do not do Cross-Fit exactly as the sites indicate but do do similar exerices in a coed groups of varying ages. Fit for you depends on the instructor working you at your pace so you find your threshold and improve from there. Have seen tremendous improvement in our group over the previous few years and the regulars are wonderful.(I refer specifically to women of similar demographic) We also had too many dropouts unable to handle the pace.

Recommend contacting the instructor and advise your concerns and then start from there whether to enter.

BTW, Typically a new person will do well on the first day and then be crippled with DOM soreness for an entire week.

I could recommend other activities in lieu of CF but do not wish to derail your thread.

But best wishes. Surviving a truly hard training session is the next best feeling....

Last edited by Felix C; 02-18-2016 at 08:49 AM..

Old 02-18-2016, 08:48 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Can anyone do CrossFit? No. Can you do CrossFit? Only you can answer that. I personally think CrossFit is overrated, as do many other people, and the Box memberships are insanely expensive (around $165-$200/month for an individual). There are many ways to get in shape with group exercise classes that are much less expensive: kickboxing classes, martial arts, dance, (including pole or belly dancing), swimming, spinning, Zumba, or just ordinary gym memberships which offer free included group classes. There are many, many other ways as well. CrossFit is very intense. I had a membership to a gym which was a hybrid Crossfit/cardio gym with a Box setup, but it wasn't for me. The membership was too pricey, it was too difficult, even though I was in very good physical shape, and the non airconditioned garage overheated me. If you want to do CrossFit for free, you can find the WODs (Workout of the Day) online and do them yourself. I don't think they require any special equipment, but of course you don't get the benefit of the gym membership.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:50 AM

189 posts, read 361,846 times
can anyone do Cross-Fit???

You can try, don't over do it starting out and work you way into a set.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:58 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,302,520 times
One of the CF gyms here have a 30-day CF 101 class that is required before you do the "real" CF classes, at least that's how it sounds. They claim that the 101 class teaches you the moves and techniques and you can do them to your level of ability. So, this sounds encouraging at least in that you aren't thrown into an intense class sink-or-swim style.

I know other women in my age/fitness bracket who do CF and have had tremendous success and I think If they can do it, then surely I can.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:01 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,842,681 times
Do it. Take before and after pics.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:20 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
Of course you can do it. The most important thing you can do though is do some background on the trainers at the one you are interested in. Some trainers are great, some do not know what the heck they are doing and you could get seriously injured.
Crossfit does not appeal to me at all, I go to a regular gym and I love the flexibility with the workouts I do. My friend however loves Crossfit and she is pretty ripped - at the age of 48. So it may be for you, or maybe not. Try it and see.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:21 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Nothing you say sounds any alarm bells indicating you shouldn't. Make sure that the gyms are well ran and well established before you jump in.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:43 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,460,703 times
Seems to me that Crossfit is largely a personality driven thing. If you are an extrovert and want motivation to work out and want some kind of teamwork or companionship feeling, try it out. If that kind of thing sounds more like just work and not a work out (like me), then you can certainly get the results you want in another way.

Before you start any program, crossfit or otherwise, do your research. You don't need injuries or bad advice.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:37 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Oh boy, crossfit thread.

Inb4 the crossfire haters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness