Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2016, 06:32 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,637 times

Advertisements

Rookie question about treadmills - I usually walk 3 - 5 miles a day weather permitting. Two months ago I started strength training at a gym. I start off with walking for 5 minutes on a treadmill to warm up before I do my stretching.

My trainer recommended I warm up using the Curve manual treadmill rather than the motorized treadmills. He cited two reasons. First, the Curve has a thick rubber tread which is easier on the knees, but, the main reason is that the Curve tread does not move unless you pick up your foot, strike the tread with the heel and push off with the ball of your foot.

Using the Curve and walking 3 mph for 5 minutes definitely gets my heart rate up, while walking at the same speed on a motorized treadmill I can walk for 30 minutes and I notice very little difference in my heart rate at all.

So, I am wondering how effective a motorized treadmill is as compared to doing the same speed and distance walking/running outdoors. I have noticed many of the people using the motorized treadmills barely lift their feet and their foot comes down flat on the tread - so no heel then pushing off with the ball of the foot. So, is this just improper form when using the motorized treadmill or do you simply need to use the motorized treadmill much longer to get the same results you would get when you walk/run outdoors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 12:30 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
use the incline... 3-5 degrees to stimulate flat surface is what i heard

Old 03-07-2016, 10:01 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Treadmill running and outdoor running are bio-mechanically the same, and V02 is also similar.

They do recommend setting incline at 1 percent to make treadmill running more equal to running outside.

Treadmill vs. running outside

Quote:
Luckily, scientific research has proven that setting the treadmill to a 1% grade accurately reflects the energy costs and simulates outdoor running. Therefore, by setting the treadmill to a 1% grade, you can offset the lack of wind resistance and the belt moving under you to make treadmill running the same effort as running outdoors.

Corroborating research has shown that VO2 max is the same when running on a treadmill compared to outside, clearly demonstrating that running on a treadmill is as effective as running outside.

Furthermore, research reveals that bio-mechanical patterns did not change when test subjects ran on a treadmill versus when they ran outside.
A 1% treadmill grade most accurately reflects the energetic cost of outdoor running. - PubMed - NCBI

Old 03-07-2016, 02:40 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,637 times
[quote=Suburban_Guy;43270837]Treadmill running and outdoor running are bio-mechanically the same, and V02 is also similar.

They do recommend setting incline at 1 percent to make treadmill running more equal to running outside.

Treadmill vs. running outside

Thanks for the excellent article that explains the differences and the pros and cons of each. It also indirectly explains why the manual Curve treadmill is more of a workout for me than the motorized treadmills. The Curve has a built in incline to it and I suspect it is a bit more than 1%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness