Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 11:29 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,589,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
My goal is to build my own home gym. I think having your own gym is optimal. It eliminates having to deal with all the crowds and the public gym; plus, you don't have to worry about all the unsanitary equipment, rude jerks, crowded locker rooms/showers, and just the overall headaches that can occur as the result of working out with large groups of people at a public gym. The crowds and the cleanliness factors are huge for me. Too often people don't wipe down their machines after they use them. Plus, the thought of all those different hands that touch various pieces of equipment all day long is enough to make me take pause. Then there is the crowded locker rooms, with one small bench serving about 50 lockers. And that is what I encounter at many gyms. I will grudgingly put up with all this until I set up my own home gym.
It's been wroth it the best part is, you have no excuses it's there and always ready to go! ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 11:41 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,589,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I WANT the crowds. The last place for me to work out is on a lonely treadmill in the basement looking at the walls. I like to see people around me all doing what I am doing. I get motivated running side by side others on the treadmill. I am actually in a workout group with a trainer. I never saw results until I did the structured group workout. Great camaraderie too.
My workout room not boring at all. My hubby put in surround sound so no damaging or losing my hearing from using a iPod . Plus I have a big window with a view outside of Mt ranges and mirrors on one wall if I want watch myself and I like the fact my stuff ready to go at all times, no adjusting things and I don't have spray equipment down before or after with harmful chemicals going into my airway or on my skin or exposed to others folks sickness and germs . I'm a loner by nature and I take that time to zone out and think etc, etc... I don't need crowds or on lookers to motivate me it's just not my thing but to each their own! ... I love running indoors or outdoors.

Last edited by WildCard~; 03-07-2016 at 11:51 PM..

Old 03-08-2016, 03:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,572 times
Default Its all about health.

I think in Gym rather than attractive almost every one will be with a positive energy. and if we do regular exercises our body will get toned and will look good. Doing Yoga is a good thing. I am doing it for last few month and it helps me to be energetic through out the day.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:56 AM

9,383 posts, read 8,354,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I WANT the crowds. The last place for me to work out is on a lonely treadmill in the basement looking at the walls. I like to see people around me all doing what I am doing. I get motivated running side by side others on the treadmill. I am actually in a workout group with a trainer. I never saw results until I did the structured group workout. Great camaraderie too.
Amen to this. I will never understand the desire to sit in a square room by yourself working out on sub-par equipment like some crappy Bow-Flex machine or whatever cheap equipment you could buy for a few hundred bucks, it's something that will cause you to quickly grow bored and disenchanted with working out.

If you feel insecure at the gym, it's likely because you have insecurity issues and see others who may be bigger/thinner/more attractive than you and that's upsetting to your psyche'. Know how to combat that? Workout more......at a gym......interacting with those around you.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:00 AM

9,383 posts, read 8,354,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I don't think about who's attractive or not whenever I'm at the gym; it's all business and not there to be judging a beauty pageant.
Really? You don't look at a beautiful woman and think "Wow, she's really attractive."??? (or man, if you're a woman) Have you possibly been in an auto accident causing mental or physical trauma?

I think you're being a little dishonest here, it's human nature to view your surroundings and process it in one way or the other. In fact, it's in our DNA.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:02 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,760,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Well I have a home gym myself and prefer that over going to a gym! I think women tend to avoid the weights areas has more do with creepy men!
Probably some of that, but there's also the misconception that if a woman lifts weights more than once or twice, she will hulk up into a body builder physique, which is so far from the truth.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:45 AM

440 posts, read 377,488 times
Attractiveness is subjective, but I do believe that if we talk about muscularity, at least in the case of men, it has the potential to enhance one's attractiveness exponentially even if you don't have a face that could be considered idealistically beautiful.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:47 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,465,766 times
It's pretty simple logic.

Attractive people who know they are attractive don't want to lose those looks. Going to the gym does two things for them. Helps to keep them in shape, which is ultimately attractive to everyone. And the second thing, puts them out there to be admired by others in the gym. Even if these people don't socialize in the gym, it's still a "social thing" in that they're being seen. Kind of like a group of attractive women who go to the club but don't talk to any guys. They like the attention, but they don't go to purposely pick up anyone.

Where as, those who feel less desirable may not feel comfortable in the public setting, especially having to wear workout clothes and sweat and grunt in front of others. The gym I go to, there are attractive, younger women who go. Even a happily married 40 year old guy is going to take notice. But, this is a small gym, so you're not going to get a lot of any group. Plus, I don't go at the most ideal workout times.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:05 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,058,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukur View Post
Attractiveness is subjective, but I do believe that if we talk about muscularity, at least in the case of men, it has the potential to enhance one's attractiveness exponentially even if you don't have a face that could be considered idealistically beautiful.
No, you can have the best body in the world, but if you do not have the face to go with it, it is a no go. A lot of guys have commented to me that they have received more attention from women after regularly working out. In every case, it was because they had gotten leaner in the face, not the muscles, which made them more attractive. As a women, I can tell you that muscles can enhance an already attractive guy's looks. But no, I have never seen an ugly guy get more attractive with bigger muscles.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:08 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,209,830 times
I think people who are making it to the gym regularly have a little more confidence at a minimum and some have a certain jock's swagger about them- women included. If nothing else it means they are at least marginally active and checked one thing of their to do list for the day. Sometimes a healthy dose of self confidence can stand in for traditional beauty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness