Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2016, 06:28 PM

193 posts, read 422,636 times

Advertisements

As a guy pushing 50, DW & I joined a gym 1.5 yrs ago and have been strength training regularly ever since. We mostly used the isolation machines they have and have seen some very good progress for people in our age group.

My work schedule has changed in the last few months and I've been finding it hard, mentally, to hit the gym when I get home fairly late.
While I use to workout 4x a week I have been slowly dwindling down to like 2x/wk now if I'm lucky.

So, I just bought a set of PowerBlock 70s and a Bowflex 5.1 bench last week. I've been able to come home, workout and feel good doing so. No extra 15m drive r/t to the gym and no other people around.

On top of that I know that DBs and compounds are more effective then the iso machines, so its a good time to transition.

I need to learn most DB exercises. I have been watching the videos here on BB.com. However, it's annoying to stop and watch a vid on my phone during a workout though.

I got the wall poster things from PB but they seem kind of limited. Not a whole lot on them.
Are there any online resources to print out exercises that I can tack to the wall?

Also, not finding a whole lot for DB back exercises. Maybe I should try looking harder.
And specifically for Traps - anything other then URs & Shrugs?

Any other advice would be appreciated too.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 10:24 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,888,541 times
Hmmm.... so... if you are getting home so late, you're leaving later in the morning as well? You can't hit the gym before you go to work? Does your DW still go to the gym? My wife knows better than to let me go to our gym by myself, just saying.

There is more exercise instruction on bb.com than you can get through in only one lifetime. You should understand each exercise that you do thorougly in your head before you actually try it in the gym. If you can't easily keep it all in your head you are doing too many different exercises.

Bent over rows for back, UR's and Shrugs for traps... don't forget your delts... lateral raises? You really don't need more exercises. You want to get into the same isolation madness with dumbells that aflicts the gym rats with all the different machines available. Slamming bodies have been built with four exercises. One exercise... 20 rep breathing squats? Can you do those on a Bowflex 5.1?

I may sound like I'm chewing on your *** but I'm smiling. Just in a cheeky mood today. But, seriously, if you are serious you will get a long bar and a power rack to go with the dumblocks and put the Bowflex in the fire (or on Craigslist). FWIW.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:29 AM

35 posts, read 27,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianosaur View Post

I need to learn most DB exercises. I have been watching the videos here on BB.com. However, it's annoying to stop and watch a vid on my phone during a workout though.

I got the wall poster things from PB but they seem kind of limited. Not a whole lot on them.
Are there any online resources to print out exercises that I can tack to the wall?

Also, not finding a whole lot for DB back exercises. Maybe I should try looking harder.
And specifically for Traps - anything other then URs & Shrugs?

Any other advice would be appreciated too.

Thanks

What does your routine look like? BB.com has a lot of great videos in addition to youtube. Like the previous poster said, dedicate time ahead of time to watch videos in advance before preforming them. I also recommend watching videos throughout your workout to enhance your understanding of the proper form. You may view it as annoying, however you won't be doing it like this forever. Here some basic DB exercises for you to explore. Feel free to ask more questions

Kroc Rows
DB Deadlifts + Variations
DB Squats + Variations
Farmers Walk
DB Towel Shrugs
DB Floor Press

Old 03-25-2016, 02:43 PM

193 posts, read 422,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Hmmm.... so...
if you are getting home so late, you're leaving later in the morning as well?
You can't hit the gym before you go to work?
Does your DW still go to the gym?

No
HELL to the NO!
(not a AM person)
and Yes

There is more exercise instruction on bb.com than you can get through in only one lifetime. You should understand each exercise that you do thorougly in your head before you actually try it in the gym. If you can't easily keep it all in your head you are doing too many different exercises.

Yeah, I kinda wanted wall pics more as reminders

But, seriously, if you are serious you will get a long bar and a power rack to go with the dumbloc

No room wont fit

and put the Bowflex in the fire (or on Craigslist). FWIW.

Bowflex 5.1 is only a bench ...no sticks

Thanks though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness