Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 09:04 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
The government wants us fat and lazy so we keep our mouth shut about politics.

I am usually not a conspiracy thinking person but I find it insane that the government doesn't help the nation to eat better. It would be so easy to put up a few laws to keep the food industry under control. Like other nations do.
What do you want the government to do about it? Is it really the government's role to intervene in what is a basic responsibility of someone which is to maintain some standard of good health?

There is tons of information, everyone knows that being fat is not good for you, it is just they do not care. It is not the government's nor the food industry's fault for this, and I have no idea why someone like me, who is not fat, should have to pay higher taxes or whatever on "fattening food" just because some clowns cannot control their own feeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 09:10 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
What do you want the government to do about it? Is it really the government's role to intervene in what is a basic responsibility of someone which is to maintain some standard of good health?

There is tons of information, everyone knows that being fat is not good for you, it is just they do not care. It is not the government's nor the food industry's fault for this, and I have no idea why someone like me, who is not fat, should have to pay higher taxes or whatever on "fattening food" just because some clowns cannot control their own feeding.
Those clowns dont know better because they only know what they grew up with.

There should be laws on what to feed in schools and daycares. I worked at a daycare and the kids had the worst food for lunch that you can imagine. That should be illegal.

It is easier and cheaper to find a snickers bar to eat than an apple. Healthy food is too expensive.

There should be a class in school that tells you about nutrition, etc.

I don't want to bash the US but when I lived in Germany, I was never worried what I put in my mouth. What looked healthy, was healthy.

You aren't getting fooled as much. Cereal bars were healthy and not sweet and full of sugar.

There isn't as much processed food.

Bakery stuff doesnt last a week. Stuff that looks and sounds healthy IS healthy.

Veggies and fruits are cheaper. Here it is cheaper to eat unhealthy than healthy. Because the government wants it like that.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:22 AM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times
1 in 8? I bet it's two or three times that high.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:09 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,461,131 times
Quote:
There is. It's called health class. I also took a nutrition and wellness class years ago when I went to community college. It was an elective, but I learned quite a bit about nutrition.

I will say one thing about the comment on what kids grow up eating. We have an 18 month old who was born premature and had to have open heart surgery when he was 3 months old. He has reached a point where it's getting very difficult putting weight on him. He's definitely underweight. The doc pretty much said to feed him whatever we can to fatten him up. Funny thing, though, is he tends to gravitate more toward the fruits and veggies than the meat. The point is, sometimes, as parents, we are faced with the situation where it's vital that we do whatever we can to make sure our children intake enough calories to keep growing. Even if it means feeding them pizza, fried chicken, chicken nuggets, hamburgers, etc....especially when they're badly underweight. Now, of course, once they reach their school age years, it's best to introduce them to a better diet. The only thing is, kids needs calories to grow. So, there has to be a balance.

Now, when I was a kid, I ate anything and everything I wanted to. However, a lot of the veggies I ate were homegrown. A lot of the "fried chicken" was breaded chicken that was baked in the oven. However, my mom still made mashed potatoes and homemade french fries. We had hamburgers and hotdogs as well. We didn't eat broccoli (at least I didn't), we didn't have broiled fish or steamed veggies....we ate whatever we wanted. Mac and cheese? You betcha! And I was rail thin all through my childhood into my teenage years. I also went outside and rode bikes, played basketball, baseball, football, basically was always outside being active. I still watched my fair share of TV though. I always made it a point to watch my favorite cartoons when I got off the school bus, and then after that, I would go outside and play before doing homework. But anyway, I believe that for kids, it's best to encourage them to be more active. Once they reach those years where they are no longer taking p.e. classes, then it becomes more important to shift the emphasis on a better diet. Because it seems like the freshman year in college is when it's difficult for teens.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:45 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Those clowns dont know better because they only know what they grew up with.
They do know better. The generations before did not have this issue, so it obviously is not something they grew up with, otherwise the generations before would have the same issues.

They have access to all the information the issues with being obese, it is just they do not care, and make excuse after excuse for it

Quote:
There should be laws on what to feed in schools and daycares. I worked at a daycare and the kids had the worst food for lunch that you can imagine. That should be illegal.

It is easier and cheaper to find a snickers bar to eat than an apple. Healthy food is too expensive.

I don't want to bash the US but when I lived in Germany, I was never worried what I put in my mouth. What looked healthy, was healthy.

You aren't getting fooled as much. Cereal bars were healthy and not sweet and full of sugar.

There isn't as much processed food.

Bakery stuff doesnt last a week. Stuff that looks and sounds healthy IS healthy.

Veggies and fruits are cheaper. Here it is cheaper to eat unhealthy than healthy. Because the government wants it like that.
You seem to be fixated on what people eat, not how much they eat. Everywhere has coke, candy, fried foods, fattening foods, etc, however, over a course of one or two generations, people started to gorge themselves on food. It went from a coke being a treat split among two people for lunch, to being the only source of liquid for many people, going through a six pack or more per day. One lightly sweetened donut for breakfast in addition to an egg turned into four glazed donuts, bacon, etc.

And the more people eat, the more they feel the need to eat. I still rarely can finish a Chipolte burrito bowl, most of the time eating 2/3s of it and saving the rest for later. I know people and often see people not only eat the whole thing, but drown down a large coke and eat a side of chips; this type of diet day after day, year after year will catch up with someone in some form or another.

Really, it amazes me the eating habits I have witnessed, and not just one time feats, but as daily activities, then they wonder why they are overweight/obese.

I have heard complaints about portion sizes, but really, what in the hell is wrong with people that they cannot control how much they eat?

Old 04-14-2016, 10:57 AM

the book "salt, sugar, fat" by Michael Moss tells you all about what you stuff into your face, the governments role and it is scary.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:06 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,298,509 times
As a born-and-bred American who lived a few years in Germany, I agree with oh-eve. USA simply needs to banish certain products from the grocery shelves, these foods are not healthy, are killing people, and certain foods simply shouldn't exist.

People cannot be blamed for eating things that are available all over the USA. COMPANIES are to blame for the existence of that "phood" in the first place.

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist either, but I'm fairly certain that capitalism?/government? plays some role in keeping citizens slow, dumb, fat, and addicted to junk food for a bevy of reasons.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:09 AM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
As a born-and-bred American who lived a few years in Germany, I agree with oh-eve. USA simply needs to banish certain products from the grocery shelves, these foods are not healthy, are killing people, and certain foods simply shouldn't exist.

People cannot be blamed for eating things that are available all over the USA. COMPANIES are to blame for the existence of that "phood" in the first place.

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist either, but I'm fairly certain that capitalism?/government? plays some role in keeping citizens slow, dumb, fat, and addicted to junk food for a bevy of reasons.
Yes they can.

I go into the grocery store all the time and DON'T come out with junk food.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:38 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,298,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Yes they can.

I go into the grocery store all the time and DON'T come out with junk food.
Good for you! We need more people like you in the world.

Not everyone is as fortunate. Many people are clinically addicted to SUGAR. It starts in childhood when innocent kids are fed sugar by adults who don't understand the harm in it. Moderation is fine I suppose but Clinical research has shown that SUGAR has the same or greater addictive draw on brain chemistry as COCAINE & HEROIN, and epidemic amounts of people are addicted to sugar.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0000698
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...t_=po=0.980392

In spite of themselves and all the nutritional education they may have, for people who are addicted to sugar (and fat & salt, you know that seductive grouping), grocery stores are a psychological/emotional battleground. Once a person is addicted, it's extremely difficult for them to leave a store without junk food, and they hate themselves for it. But they're addicted.

Now if junk is no longer so widely available, and fresh produce, whole grains, legumes, etc become the main offering instead, people will be healthier!

Old 04-14-2016, 11:50 AM

You dont want to investigate or google every item that you intend to eat.

You should be able to trust the government that they have the FDA set up in a way where we shouldn't have to worry what we put in our mouth if it is from a grocery store.

Tons of people think that if they eat strawberries, it is healthy. Think again. The government should have a law on how much pesticide or fertilizer can go on fruits/veggies. There is no other country in the world that has so huge veggies than here in the US. Guess why!

Tons of people think that if they eat cereal bars, it is healthy. Think again.
Tons of people think if they eat a salad with blue cheese dressing it is healthy. Think again.

Lettuce is a notoriously pesticide-intensive crop—the Environmental Working Group lists it as number 14 on its tally of the most chemical-laden produce and lets not even start about the CHEESE dressing. But people dont know that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness