Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 04:18 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justselena View Post
yes its true running is needed to warm up the body...
That actually isnt true at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 05:07 PM

421 posts, read 422,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
People use the terms "bodybuilding" or "bodybuilder" with not really knowing what it is. "Bodybuilding" is different from "building your body". Bodybuilding is a "sport" where the visual is paramount and those who do/participate in it are not necessarily in the best health/fitness. Since you are not competing, sounds like you just want to define and sculpt your body in certain areas. This is NOT "bodybuilding".

This is what I have been doing for years and it works great for me. But, my 50/50 is really broken up into working out twice per day. Cardio is done first thing every morning and weight/resistance is done later in the afternoon or evening.

I am 6' 1" and 177 lbs as of this morning. Far from a bodybuilder, but I do like the way my body looks and I attribute it to doing both the weight/resistance and cardio workouts. This is the best photo I could find that shows what my body looks like - http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-O91w4ajDY1...olf+muscle.jpg . Only, my arms are slightly smaller because I dont do arm curls, but the rest of the body is pretty much me but with a more bubbly butt.
That is exactly the body i want to be...

Old 04-05-2016, 05:32 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway365 View Post
If you're bodybuilding and do not intend to lost muscle, you wan't to perform interval cardio. Running long distance can diminish the bulk of muscles; hence the reason cross country runners look so thin and maintain little muscle.
I guess you never considered that thin people are more likely to be good distance runners. Once they start serious training, they are now burning more fat off their bodies. Many of them don't see the need to lift weights because of the dreaded "bulking up."

Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
I am not a bodybuilder, but I have a 190 pound muscular frame. I began training for a marathon, NO WEIGHT lifting, and lost 20 pounds. Bulk is gone, and I guess extra fat, my chest, quads, rump, and shoulders are a bit trim. So...in answer to your question, yes....running over 40 miles a week, without weight lifting, will cause you to alter your body shape and mass.
I was about 183 when I started serious running and weightlifting. I went to over 200 lbs. while training for three marathons. I gained muscle all over and lost about an inch in my waist. I got up to 54 miles a week.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:57 PM

Running on treadmill one hour on the daily basis can build mascles on legs, right?
If that is true, then running can be not only cadio but also weight training?

Old 04-07-2016, 12:05 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,044,709 times
Perhaps you can google professional bodybuilders routines to see if they add any cardio on a regular basis. But I am pretty sure the professional do none or minimal cardio, because it is burning calories. It doesn't directly lead to less muscle growth, but these guys have a hard time eating enough everyday, so they probably want to avoid cardio if muscle mass is #1 goal.

But for everyone else, I think cardio benefits for outweigh the depletion of calories. I am talking about your heart, lungs, etc, far more important that any muscle. Just always factor in that cardio, along with really any movement, does burn calories. For most people it is not an issue.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:45 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I am 6' 1" and 177 lbs as of this morning. Far from a bodybuilder, but I do like the way my body looks and I attribute it to doing both the weight/resistance and cardio workouts. This is the best photo I could find that shows what my body looks like - http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-O91w4ajDY1...olf+muscle.jpg . Only, my arms are slightly smaller because I dont do arm curls, but the rest of the body is pretty much me but with a more bubbly butt.
That's basically my goal as well. I like the idea of being thin with a "cut" look, but not bulky. Maybe just a little more size in the arms, shoulders, and chest so that I look good in t-shirts. I've got a long ways to go to reach that goal, and unfortunately, I don't have the time like you to workout as much as you do everyday, but like you, I try to do cardio everyday even on the days I do weight training.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:52 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldensky View Post
Running on treadmill one hour on the daily basis can build mascles on legs, right?
If that is true, then running can be not only cadio but also weight training?
That depends on the kind of running you are doing. Steady-state running will train the slow twitch muscle fibers which have very limited ability to increase in size and strength, although you will get a little bit. If you were sprinting, you will target the fast twitch muscle fibers and these are more likely to increase in size as part of the training effect.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:15 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,759 times
Quote:
I was told when I was young that bodybuilders do not do the running exercise because running could diminish the bulk of muscles...so they just do weight training.
Is this true?
Cardio like running is just for 10-min warm-ups? that's enough?
one hour treadmill running doesn't produce any good benefits for the body? and it can ruin the bodybuilding?
Running short sprints is a good way to burn some fat whithout sacrificing size

Old 04-07-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Running short sprints is a good way to burn some fat whithout sacrificing size
My legs are really thick..
How can i make them slim?? What kind of exercise do i need to do??

Old 04-07-2016, 05:31 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times
Quote:
My legs are really thick..
How can i make them slim?? What kind of exercise do i need to do??
There are really only two things you can do to make your legs slimmer:

1- Lose body fat overall.

2- Stop using the muscles in your legs so that they atrophy. This is what happens when you are immobilized in a cast.

Obviously, #1 is the healthy way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness