Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 03:05 PM

951 posts, read 1,140,470 times

Advertisements

Speaking for myself - I was new to the gym, never lifted before and was afraid of the weight room. I hired a female personal trainer who I knew competed before. After just one session with her, I was comfortable enough to go to the weight room by myself. I kept her for a few more sessions because there was a minimum amount of sessions required and I wanted her to check my form. I would say it was worth it.

I probably won't hire one again or at least not for a while because I rely mostly on the internet for my information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 07:00 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times
Personal training is worth it to those who have had injuries and/or having to rehab. A good trainer is going to know what exercises are beneficial and safe for the condition of his/her client. They're also good for those who just don't know anything about effective exercise.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:24 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
At my gym they also offer personal training. Right now, I'm SO weak that it would be way too hard on my body. I am very out of shape. I'm getting better though. I noticed my stamina is getting better during Zumba class. I'm looking to lose a lot of weight. About 75 lbs. I've lost about 10lbs so far.

I go to the gym about 4-5 times a week. I'll do strength training (one day arms, another day legs) and then a class. I bought 3 lb weights for use at home as wel.

So, I'm just curious how much more effective the personal training could be.

Thanks in advance!
You want at trainer that has at least an undergrad degree in exercise science. Also, a certification from one or both of the following: American College of Sports Medicine / National Strength and Conditioning Association.

Someone with actual university level education in the field and a real certification can do wonders for you. Someone who doesn't have that will more than likely waste your time, or even worse, injure you.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:41 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,177,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
You want at trainer that has at least an undergrad degree in exercise science. Also, a certification from one or both of the following: American College of Sports Medicine / National Strength and Conditioning Association.

Someone with actual university level education in the field and a real certification can do wonders for you. Someone who doesn't have that will more than likely waste your time, or even worse, injure you.

See that's the difference that I was told is huuuge-
Their levels of education & certifications......
One program is a joke compared to the
background my trainers have.......
Plus it really doesn't hurt that
they're easy on the eyes

Old 04-21-2016, 02:01 PM

951 posts, read 1,140,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
See that's the difference that I was told is huuuge-
Their levels of education & certifications......
One program is a joke compared to the
background my trainers have.......
Plus it really doesn't hurt that
they're easy on the eyes
Agreed. I wish one of the regular gym goers was a trainer; I'd hire him every week.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:45 AM

857 posts, read 844,206 times
As some already stated, the 'worthiness' of a personal trainer greatly depends on his/her experience. With that said, quite a few traditional gym trainers I have seen in the past did not impress me much. I would personally strongly recommend going the Crossfit route (I know some may flame about the negatives of Crossfit, if so, go ahead), but in my experience, especially for the price, you get a much better workout and every session is like a personal training session. Plus you do learn more and utilize your time more efficiently vs. separating workouts into different body parts/days (done that in the past for years and will never go back to that again).

Old 04-22-2016, 06:40 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,127 times
Wow - thanks for all the input everyone. It's appreciated. So far I am losing weight w/o the personal training. Today I went to the gym and had a good workout. Did the treadmill for about 20 mins, did strength training today on my upper body and then went to Zumba.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness