Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 06:26 PM

414 posts, read 416,391 times

Advertisements

my age : middle of 50
goal: weight loss+build muscles+six-packs-abs+strong body+reduce waste size to 30"

Which one is best?:

1) 10m-warming up, 50min-weight+strength, 30min-cardio(running)
2) 1h30min - weight and strength
3) one hour - cardio

I guess most ppl says #1 could be the answer...

Here is my question #2:

If I do weight and strength work out first and then do the cardio, cardio reduces the muscles?
if it does, then why we need to do cardio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 07:34 AM

9,325 posts, read 8,240,961 times
Doing cardio after lifting does not necessarily mean you're burning the muscle. Most people who are serious about strength training will lift first so that they have the most amount of energy for that. And the same goes the other way around. Personally I prefer to warm up for 5-10 mins on an eliptical, do some light stretching, warm-up with light weights and then really jump into heavier sets. I always save the cardio for last as I don't go crazy, I simply walk at a good pace on an incline most days.

Get into the gym and try varying things, you'll eventually get into your own groove and you'll quickly figure out what works best for you. One size definitely does not fit all in terms of working out so figure out what works well for you. Good luck!

Old 04-19-2016, 08:01 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,796,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldensky View Post
my age : middle of 50
goal: weight loss+build muscles+six-packs-abs+strong body+reduce waste size to 30"

Which one is best?:

1) 10m-warming up, 50min-weight+strength, 30min-cardio(running)
2) 1h30min - weight and strength
3) one hour - cardio

I guess most ppl says #1 could be the answer...

Here is my question #2:

If I do weight and strength work out first and then do the cardio, cardio reduces the muscles?
if it does, then why we need to do cardio?
Well I am at that goal and similar age,50, and did it by lotsa very hard workouts. Heavy weights(no isolation crap. Get a good compound muscle workout plan.), intense cardio(not steady state low-medium HR stuff), smart diet(join myfitness pal and customize for you and log it). Not an easy road and really more like athletic conditioning. One before the other makes/made no difference it is the intensity at which you do things. And what you do afterwards in terms of diet and rest.

Have you started yet? What is your progress?

If not then, #1 Log your food intake at myfitness pal. #2 join a cardio boot camp and/or extreme spinning class. #3 start with the 5x5 workout for six months. Get the book and watch the author's videos. Workout every day unless body says rest.(5x5 is MWF so do cardio on T.TR.SAorSu) Track progress. Enjoy life.

Your best gains will be in your first year. After six months maybe move up to Advanced 5x5.

Oh yeah, ensure you are healthy for all of this activity as per your Dr. Have full bloodowork panel done.

Last edited by Felix C; 04-19-2016 at 09:02 AM..

Old 04-19-2016, 08:15 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,829,000 times
Without knowing where you're starting from, those seem pretty aggressive goals for mid-50s. The above recommendation 5x5 and cardio on off days is a good one, imo.

If endurance isn't really a goal though, I'd prob only do cardio 2 days and I'd suggest 2 days rest/week. And maybe an extra rest day every other week. And for that cardio, I'd lean towards hiking or rowing (or play a sport if that's something you do). Rowing because it is more in line with your goals and hiking/sports because they are typically more fun.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:07 PM

414 posts, read 416,391 times
Thank you all...it helps me a lot~~~

Old 04-20-2016, 03:33 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,531,783 times
whichever one you'll do consistently

Old 04-22-2016, 07:58 AM

857 posts, read 837,351 times
I would recommend doing a mixed program (similar to Crossfit type workouts) that encompasses cardio and weight training. Running, rowing, etc. increases endurance, burns calories but does pretty much nothing to increase core strength/build muscle like weight lifting would. Hence you have to lift and put down weights to build strength. I would also suggest incorporating rowing, short-distance running in between. On days off, you can go for a longer run, bike trip, walk, etc. All about having a well-balanced program which aims at getting you stronger (and in the process losing weight, feeling better, etc.) as opposed to just focusing on just losing weight, just building muscle. Training IMO has to build functional strength.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:35 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,201,020 times
2 and 3 done on alternating days

Old 05-05-2016, 03:40 PM

708 posts, read 820,806 times
You should get hold of the Isokinator and try it out in its 30 day free trial.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:53 PM

18,887 posts, read 27,349,956 times
30 inches waist? How short are you?
As a principle, the best muscle work out is one that attacks all three muscle contracture types. Concentric, eccentric and isometric. If you learn how to combine the three into one motion, you will ace muscle work out.
You do what you want to do, I change routine every 3 weeks. To keep muscles in continuous check.
If I were you, I wouldn't be running. Give me credit on this, I am orthotist with 22 yrs of experience. Swim. Fast walk. Do elliptic or stair climber. But do not run. I spoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness