Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 11:49 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/he...loss.html?_r=0

I'm just going to leave this here...
I wish they studied people who took the weight off normally, and not people who crash dieted and over-exercised like the Biggest Loser contestants.

Raise your hand if you did not know that crash diets and losing weight took quickly would screw up your metabolism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 11:56 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I wish they studied people who took the weight off normally, and not people who crash dieted and over-exercised like the Biggest Loser contestants.

Raise your hand if you did not know that crash diets and losing weight took quickly would screw up your metabolism.
I agree. But I know that I certainly struggle with yo-yoing, and many other people do as well. Even those that do lose the weight "normally."

Old 05-02-2016, 01:35 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
So the steady rise in obesity (as a % of population) in the US is caused by a tremendous spike in people developing hormonal issues? Not because they are living sedentary lives and eating more processed foods?

Got it. Hormones- little evidence it is causing an epidemic (but taken as fact) vs. a well documented rise in non-active overeaters (like me).

Sorry I got that all wrong. Boy do I feel silly. I'll quit my 1,500 calorie a day diet and exercise and go talk to my doctor about my hormones.
I never said any of this. Get your facts straight.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:15 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
Quote:

I don't watch the show but from what I know they don't crash on starvation diets, they're supposed to be following a very balanced, if strict, plan designed b nutritionists.
It's quite possible the same effect would be seen if they lost the weight slower - just it would appear over a longer stretch of time
End result may very likely be the same.

Also a normal metabolism , as has been shown in the Minnesota starvation experiment, should recover fully after a diet-induced slowdown once subjects return to eating an adequate diet. But that's for people who were normal weight to begin with. For those that have been obese, technically the same thing happens except their 'normal' that the body tries to return to is the state of obesity.
Quite scary actually.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:58 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I never said any of this. Get your facts straight.
Actually they aren't my facts, just what has already been studied. See the CDC link.

I'm not the one clamoring about hormones being the culprit in some greater measure "more than I think".

Old 05-02-2016, 07:12 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
I agree. But I know that I certainly struggle with yo-yoing, and many other people do as well. Even those that do lose the weight "normally."

Same here. I also know that cutting calories lowers my metabolism. I can cut 500 calories a day and not lose at all. I've been told IRL and by people here that that is impossible but this article shows it's not. When I cut 500 calories, I just get tired and hungry. If I cut 1000 calories a day I'll lose about a pound a week and be tired and hungry. Once I stop dieting I gain it right back even though I'm not over eating. Lord help me if I do over eat. It all goes right to fat. This article explains a lot. If my metabolism stays low because I've lost weight eating normally after weight loss would result in weight gain. This explains why weight watchers doesn't work for me. I always saved points for the weekend and all that happened is I gained back what I lost during the week.

I wonder if they'll figure out a way to reset our metabolisms. I always thought that after you were done dieting your metabolism went back to normal. If that's not true the only way for many of us to lose weight and keep it off is to be on a permanent diet.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 05-02-2016 at 07:21 PM..

Old 05-02-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:

This has nothing to do with how they lost the weight. Their metabolisms remained slow even as they started to regain some of the weight. They never returned to normal. That has nothing to do with whether the weight was lost on a crash diet or not and they are under the care of nutritionists during the program.

"
Researchers knew that just about anyone who deliberately loses weight — even if they start at a normal weight or even underweight — will have a slower metabolism when the diet ends. So they were not surprised to see that “The Biggest Loser” contestants had slow metabolisms when the show ended.
What shocked the researchers was what happened next: As the years went by and the numbers on the scale climbed, the contestants’ metabolisms did not recover. They became even slower, and the pounds kept piling on. It was as if their bodies were intensifying their effort to pull the contestants back to their original weight."

Old 05-02-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
I don't watch the show but from what I know they don't crash on starvation diets, they're supposed to be following a very balanced, if strict, plan designed b nutritionists.
It's quite possible the same effect would be seen if they lost the weight slower - just it would appear over a longer stretch of time
End result may very likely be the same.

Also a normal metabolism , as has been shown in the Minnesota starvation experiment, should recover fully after a diet-induced slowdown once subjects return to eating an adequate diet. But that's for people who were normal weight to begin with. For those that have been obese, technically the same thing happens except their 'normal' that the body tries to return to is the state of obesity.
Quite scary actually.

Very scary indeed. Is the only way to keep weight off being hungry for the rest of our lives? I find it very scary that even 6 YEARS later their metabolisms had not returned to normal add to this that the brain has a set point for the number of calories it wants you to eat per day and many of us are just doomed to be fat and likely get fatter.

"
He analyzed data from a clinical trial in which people took a diabetes drug, canagliflozin, that makes them spill 360 calories a day into their urine, or took a placebo. The drug has no known effect on the brain, and the person does not realize those calories are being spilled. Those taking the drug gradually lost weight. But for every five pounds they lost, they were, without realizing it, eating an additional 200 calories a day.
Those extra calories, Dr. Hall said, were a bigger driver of weight regained than the slowing of the metabolism. And, he added, if people fought the urge to eat those calories, they would be hungry. “Unless they continue to fight it constantly, they will regain the weight,” he said.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:01 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
This has nothing to do with how they lost the weight. Their metabolisms remained slow even as they started to regain some of the weight. They never returned to normal. That has nothing to do with whether the weight was lost on a crash diet or not and they are under the care of nutritionists during the program.

"
Researchers knew that just about anyone who deliberately loses weight — even if they start at a normal weight or even underweight — will have a slower metabolism when the diet ends. So they were not surprised to see that “The Biggest Loser” contestants had slow metabolisms when the show ended.
What shocked the researchers was what happened next: As the years went by and the numbers on the scale climbed, the contestants’ metabolisms did not recover. They became even slower, and the pounds kept piling on. It was as if their bodies were intensifying their effort to pull the contestants back to their original weight."

Under-eating slows the metabolism - which is old news. That has been around for years, don't know why everyone is acting as if this is news.

And I can read, thank you, no need for bolding and underlining.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:26 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/he...loss.html?_r=0

I'm just going to leave this here...

Yeah, this makes sense given my own experience. After gradually putting on about 100 pounds, and being close to 300 pounds for several years, five years ago I lost 80 pounds. I went from 297 down to 217 at 6'5" tall.
I've managed to keep most of it off (currently 233) but it's a constant struggle. Despite a good amount of exercise, including heavy weights, I can't seem to raise my metabolism to the point that I can stay under 220 and eat a satisfying amount of food. And it's amazing how quickly I put on fat if I do indulge, even for a day or two. My body has definately changed from the time before I got heavy. So I guess the take away is: don't get fat in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness