Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 02:50 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,298,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Perhaps you don't understand the definition of obesity.

"Nebraska now has the 20th highest adult obesity rate in the nation, according to The State of Obesity: Better Policies for a Healthier America. Nebraska's adult obesity rate is currently 30.2 percent, up from 20.1 percent in 2000 and from 11.3 percent in 1990."

Nebraska State Obesity Data, Rates and Trends: The State of Obesity
I worked in a factory and live in a farming community. These are all labor intensive professions and do not lend themselves well to being fat. I see Obese all the time when I'm in town but not where I spend time or where I worked.

So what you are saying is that I'm ignorant or am I telling the truth.

Cognitive rationalizations keep people believing whatever they want and if you want to believe that every one is obese then in your eyes everyone will be obese even if they are 300 pounds of raw muscle because they work for a living. To me this is not obese but the data people will always consider this obese because it furthers their cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 03:28 PM

24,624 posts, read 19,046,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
However, when it comes to obese individuals I think this meme of "just eat less move more" is actually bull****.
Well, you'd be wrong on so many levels.

There are millions of testimonials from people who got with it and beat obesity.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:35 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,533,245 times
The original poster is an obesity facilitator and apologist. One of the reasons people become and stay fat, is that their family members tolerate it. It may be caused by ignorance of proper eating and exercise habits or just simply being too lazy and self-indulgent to practice a healthy lifestyle. If you are married or have a long-term relationship and your partner is obese, half the fault is yours. The way obesity is inherited is by cultural means, not genetic ones. Some people have to work harder to stay in shape, but anyone could do it, if they were motivated.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:45 PM

72 posts, read 55,171 times
I agree with OP's post and there are way too many people in this thread who are clueless about weight loss. Losing weight is not the problem, maintenance is the problem. I have been losing and gaining the same weight since I was 15. The last time around, I lost 60 lbs and I kept it off for 5 years now. It is so easy for people to sit on their high horses and speak about this issue as if they know sh--t about it. Yes, I have been maintaining the weight loss but it has been so difficult and it is a constant struggle. I still count all my calories and I eat 1200 calories a day in order to maintain. According to all nutrition experts, I am not supposed to be eating less than 1500 calories but I can no longer eat anything beyond 1200-1300 calories and not gain the weight back. Do any of you who seem to know so much about this issue have any idea how little 1200 calories a day is? I am sure you don't. There are studies done on this. Weight loss slows metabolism and makes body more efficient in burning calories. There was one recent study that found people who lost lot of weight have to exercise at least 2 hrs a day in order to increase their metabolism rates. Otherwise, they will be in constant starvation diet in order to maintain. That has been my experience in the last 5 years. I am happy about my weight loss but I now know this is a life long struggle. Human body is extremely complicated and we know very little about it. Weight issues also have psychological aspects which are almost never addressed. Yes, some people are lazy and eat too much; others like me barely eat in order to maintain the loss because we managed to mess up our bodies so bad that it no longer responds the way it should.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:27 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,052,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
I eat healthy. Roughly 2000 calories a day and about 2500 during the weekends. I work out 3 times a week and currently weight roughly 72-73kg. And like most, I agree that good diet and exercise can allow for amazing body transformations for most people.

However, when it comes to obese individuals I think this meme of "just eat less move more" is actually bull****.

I use to believe that as well before I started working out, but after I started educating myself about the human body and how it treats/responds to nutrition, I am now much more sceptical about the idea that obese people are merely obese because they can't change their lifestyle, and believe that many (I said MANY, not all) of their claims about how they can't lose weight might actually be valid. The reason I believe this is because of the fallowing facts (which most people don't know about or understand):

1. Metabolism.

How fast your body burns energy/fat changes depending on how much you eat. If start eating less than before you lose weight for a while, but then your body adapts and starts slowing down your metabolism making weight/fat loss harder. Your body does this to protect you from starvation (it's not like your body cares you are trying to get abs, it just wants you to live). This means the typical argument of "your body can't create energy out of nothing" isn't as valid as it sounds, because by eating less your body will start spending less energy to begin with.

2. Every time you get new fat you did not have before your body generates new fat cells.

When you get rid of fat you lose some fat but your fat cells will not go away. Ever. Your fat cells allow your body to remember your max bodyfat percentage you have ever obtained so that it can more easily obtain it again in the future should you increase your caloric intake. Again, this is a survival mechanic.

3. Your body adapts to the manner in which you live.

Calories in, and calories out. That's how it works, right? No it doesn't. Your body is a living machine that spends the energy you give it depending on what it believes it should be used for. If a person has been very active for most of it's life then your body will adapt to that fact and is more likely to invest calories into muscle building instead of converting them into fat. In a similar manner, if somebody has been obese and inactive since they were small your body will slowly start defaulting into just converting everything into fat because it sees no reason to do anything else. The more active or obese the person is the greater this effect will be.

The point being:

While none of what I said above makes it impossible for "normal fat people" (individuals who are merely fat rather than disgustingly obese) to get back down to normal weight, for individuals who have obtained extreme levels of bodyfat and maintained it for long periods of time, the damage they have caused to their body mechanics via accumulation of large amounts of fat cells, slow metabolism, and the obtaining of a body behaviour that defaults to storing fat rather than building muscle, it is very possible that they will never be able to get back down to normal bodyfat again.

That doesn't mean they can't lose weight. But there is a big difference between losing weight and actually going back to normal. If a 250kg person loses 70kg, that's a lot of lost weight, but the person would still be obese. Things like genetics no doubt play a role, as some obese people might be luckier than others. But generally speaking, I think that for many people obesity might not be something they will ever be able to properly get rid off.

A special note:

Note this doesn't mean obese people aren't to blame for their condition. It's still their fault they got obese in the first place. Also note that nothing of what I said should be considered as an excuse to not try and lose weight. There is also a difference between merely being pretty fat and having high levels of obesity.

The reason I felt the need to create this thread is that I don't like the elitism coming from the fitness community which heavily promotes the idea that obese people are only lazy. I mean don't get me wrong, MOST of them ARE lazy. But there is more to it then that.

Hope this information was helpful and informative

EDIT: Honestly I think this thread should be stickied.
False.

Obesity is a choice. If you are not losing weight, it's because you are doing something wrong. Eat less and exercise more. Do this for a year and you will lose a lot of weight.

Stop making excuses. If you truly want to lose weight, then you will. If not, then you won't. It's that simple.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:55 PM

876 posts, read 994,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
False.

Obesity is a choice. If you are not losing weight, it's because you are doing something wrong. Eat less and exercise more. Do this for a year and you will lose a lot of weight.

Stop making excuses. If you truly want to lose weight, then you will. If not, then you won't. It's that simple.
I really love it when people leave replies like this, where they pretty much just dismiss all of my arguments while making exactly zero counter-arguments of their own in favor of just repeating the same old tried "just eat less and move more" meme. Your body is a machine with certain kinds of programing. Not everybody is programed the same, and people's programing can be altered by lifestyle in ways that doesn't always work in their favor.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:04 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,362,510 times
Whoever wrote this thread? Short of a glandular problem, obesity is not a physical condition, it is a state of mind.
Anyone , anyone, can manage their weight. Physical conditioning is only a sum- of mathematics and chemistry and physical activity levels and is a very simple process actually. Beginners need to start out ever so slowly and have an extra dose of determination, a picture of themselves in their mind of how they will look in 6 months and they will achieve maximum health. Never forget your goal- The body will try to do anything to retain fat,yes, it is a matter of mastering one's mind and using the tremendous force of the human character, will, to force one's self to achieve the desired result. You will reap tremendous benefits.
Body shaping is not a myth but is a physical state that is attainable to anyone with the desire. One doesn't need slim fast nor nutrisystem nor salads nor protein shakes, nor a physical trainer.
It is. Achieving the right food combinations in the diet ; low glycemic index carbs in their diet- 50%( the bottom line for achieving results- omit refined starches and sucrose), medium- 10%fat intake levels and higher protein intake-40% and begin a workout regimen of aerobic and anaerobic exercises. Healthy eating combined with exercise will keep the metabolism revved up. Perhaps light stairstepping twice a day or a stationary bike (preferrable) to raise the heartbeat for twenty minutes twice a day. 20 minutes on a stationary bike twice a day will do it. Weights, light training combined with high protein intake will be ever so beneficial and keep lean tissue loss at a minimum. This is no miracle, it is science.
One must begin- and realize that this is a very difficult physical state to achieve. We all have capabilities of athleticism to a different degree. If it were easy everyone would do it. NOt many have the discipline.
This information above is common knowledge and available to all on the web. This is a basic plan,the fundamental guide, the final plan will need to be adjusted on a personal basis, singularly, to achieve the desired result through trial and error and keeping a log of caloric consumption and an exercise log also
and coordinate this information with the bathroom scale. Manipulate your own metabolism. Period.
One may not end up a Mr. or Miss Universe in the end but you can be the best you can be. This is a physical state that is available to anyone. With the will. Create a reason for this change, romance,appearance change , health- blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol level- revenge on an ex, an upcoming wedding, regular clothing that actually fits, something, anything, will do. More than one reason is even better.
Some cause should be the determining factor for that fundmental motivation and will help one to never lose sight of that goal. In the end healthy eating will become an ingrained habit and one will become reformed by habit because the extraordinary changes that will come about by this process are life changing.
Really.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:35 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,900,048 times
Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought. What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:43 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,763,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
False.

I agree with you 100%. However some people cannot make the sacrifice needed to lose weight because, lets face it, it is one of the hardest things to do. In no way am I excusing them, I am really criticizing all he enablers and the people who empathize agreeing that it is, 'just too hard'. Most people will not have what it takes to lose the weight due to outside factors, (enablers, codependents, society saying its okay to be obese). Excuses and a society that is now fatter then ever keep people from doing what it takes to lose weight and be healthy.
I really do not see an answer to this problem.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:59 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,245,198 times
So if you're obese your SOL for life and nothing you can do can change that and you might as well eat yourself to oblivion. Ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness