Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 08:56 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,881 times

Advertisements

I try to talk to people too in the gym.
But I try to do it after I was done with a machine / equipment.
I will not do it between sets when obviously somebody is waiting to use it after me.

And for common courtesy:
1. Please guys do not slam the weight down even we all know it is heavy.
2. Don't stare at others. Lots of people do that. It is so annoying.
3. Ladies: if you are wearing bright leggings make sure you wear underwear and your leggings are not worn out. I saw once a lady with her pubic hair sticking out off from her bright pink leggings. How on earth she did not notice that, I am not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 10:34 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Get real and visualize the situation. Maintain other people under observation for 10-15min at still keeping your heart rate at a high level when using weights? Not realistic. Unless OP's idea of high heartrate is not what I call high heart rate level. And yours as well.

Maybe you and him are creeping at other people from your exercise equipment but well that is another issue.
Oh please. You go to the same gym every day and see the same people yapping. Don't give me the "You should be busy working out" business. It's human nature to notice these things. You are just apparently in WAY too good of shape to notice the outside world around you.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:44 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
How can you notice other people and what they do in 10-15min if you are so busy keeping your heart rate up?
Mirrors everywhere?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-29-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I try to talk to people too in the gym.
But I try to do it after I was done with a machine / equipment.
I will not do it between sets when obviously somebody is waiting to use it after me.

And for common courtesy:
1. Please guys do not slam the weight down even we all know it is heavy.
2. Don't stare at others. Lots of people do that. It is so annoying.
3. Ladies: if you are wearing bright leggings make sure you wear underwear and your leggings are not worn out. I saw once a lady with her pubic hair sticking out off from her bright pink leggings. How on earth she did not notice that, I am not sure.

I'll tell a stranger if they have something stuck in their teeth..... whew. The lady in #3? I don't think I could.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:58 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
I have been going to the same gym for over 10 years. I have lots of friends there. We all take time and talk to each other. However we know the boundaries. Never approach during a set, or doing something that takes focus. Also, never talk while on a machine or standing in front of the weights. Just common sense stuff. I love my gym friends and I look forward to seeing them and catching up.
People also look at each other. Its just something that most if not all people at the gym do. I do not care one whit if someone is looking at me.
The biggest peeves at the gym are people who do not wipe down their sweaty messes, people who fiddle with their phones, people who set up a workout area then do not put everything back when they are finished, and people who that are clueless about working out in general and look like they are about to injure themselves.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:00 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
I notice people socializing, but don't give it a second thought. I really don't care. I put all my focus on my lifting, especially if I'm lifting heavy.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I notice people socializing, but don't give it a second thought. I really don't care. I put all my focus on my lifting, especially if I'm lifting heavy.
Everyone who doesn't want to talk has headphones in, now that I think about it, it's a thing. They might not even be listening to anything.

But politeness dictates a greeting, so the head nod is used. If, one is feeling particularly friendly, a "good morning" or "good afternoon" is allowed.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:09 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Oh please. You go to the same gym every day and see the same people yapping. Don't give me the "You should be busy working out" business. It's human nature to notice these things. You are just apparently in WAY too good of shape to notice the outside world around you.
You should be working out. 10-15seconds I understand but not 10-15min. That is creeper stuff.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
You should be working out. 10-15seconds I understand but not 10-15min. That is creeper stuff.
I know what guys are 'hanging out' vs working out, and I sure as heck ain't no creeper. I'm in a 40x40 room with all mirrors, how could I NOT notice stuff?

Old 04-29-2016, 12:20 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I know what guys are 'hanging out' vs working out, and I sure as heck ain't no creeper. I'm in a 40x40 room with all mirrors, how could I NOT notice stuff?
Still did not answer the time aspect. How long do you linger in your observations to make this assessment. Someone might be looking at you and saying "Damn, I wish they would get done already instead of staring at X"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness