Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 05:59 PM

876 posts, read 1,001,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
over worked body builder type physiques remind me of fictional comic book characters or superheroes, they look so unnatural, a naturally fit person doesnt have bulging biceps

they would tend to look more like an Olympic swimmer or track & field person's build, they have the type of physique thats for a specific purpose, not just for looks

an Athlete's build is different than a Body builder type build

I would rather have the atheletes build, more useful and more practical.
Only drug users look unnatural. People overestimate how much muscle they can build without drugs. There is no risk of looking super buff without taking drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 07:14 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Frank Zane had the ideal body.
Never heard of him before but yeah he is ripped on juice or something

http://cdn-flex1.heartyhosting.com/s...?itok=nSP9NqIm

Old 05-09-2016, 01:21 PM

9,385 posts, read 8,356,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
Only drug users look unnatural. People overestimate how much muscle they can build without drugs. There is no risk of looking super buff without taking drugs.
Every single professional bodybuilder is on the juice. Every. Single. One.

I also think you meant "underestimate" but it's simply physiologically impossible to get as big as the pros without some form of pharmacological help. I'm a guy who's been lifting for the better part of 20 years, fairly clean/high protein diet and while I may be "big" next to the Average Joe, I'd look like a teenager standing next to Mr. Olympia.

And yes there are risks involved without drugs. Taxing your kidneys on protein is just one that comes to mind.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:20 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,321,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post

I also think you meant "underestimate" but it's simply physiologically impossible to get as big as the pros without some form of pharmacological help. I'm a guy who's been lifting for the better part of 20 years, fairly clean/high protein diet and while I may be "big" next to the Average Joe, I'd look like a teenager standing next to Mr. Olympia.

And yes there are risks involved without drugs. Taxing your kidneys on protein is just one that comes to mind.

I think the intelligent ones like Frank Zane will juice up for a limited period in preparation for competition. I think Frank only competed 1X per year, so that means less time on the juice compared to competing more frequently. Ed Corney claimed he used but didn't abuse drugs.

I lifted intensely in the 90s but hit a plateau that I could not get past. I probably lifted for an additional year after the plateau hit. Nothing I did could get me past the plateau. I tried everything except for drugs. I was certainly stronger than a non-lifting fellow of my skeletal size but not like the good drug-free amateur competitor I've seen.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:25 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Not quite true. There are professional natural bodybuilders out there in their own federations. Obviously these guys are not going to be competing for Mr. Olympia, but they are out there.

Quote:
Well, ignoring the fact that the risk of kidney damage from high protein intakes has been pretty soundly refuted by science, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that someone using anabolic steroids is almost certainly going to need more protein than a natural bodybuilder, thus making that whole point pretty much moot.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:27 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I think the intelligent ones like Frank Zane will juice up for a limited period in preparation for competition. I think Frank only competed 1X per year, so that means less time on the juice compared to competing more frequently. Ed Corney claimed he used but didn't abuse drugs.
I doubt the duration of drug use was that much different than today. They did, however, use comparatively small doses than their modern counterparts.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:02 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,057,058 times
y'know on another forum I frequent, this is an eternally recurring debate. What is the ideal male physique:

- low bf, sub 165lbs, male underwear model, as typified by Ryan Gosling, Brad Pitt, or Mark Wahlberg in his prime;
- low bf, 230 lbs, Mr Olympia steroid body, as typified by Arnold in his prime;
- or maximal strength, no regard to body fat, as typified by a pro NFL linebacker or Olympic medalist Powerlifter

It's not about whether random women find my physique attractive. Pretty sure we are all attracted to DIFFERENT things. I get more internal satisfaction knowing that I can do things the average man cannot - and that if God Forbid I ever went to prison, I wouldn't be raped. I know I can kill another man with my bare hands - but I wouldn't, unless I had to.

So this blog entry was aimed at illustrators drawing comic book superhero physiques. You can read Addendum 1 if you'd find that interesting. But page down to Addendum 2, where the page reproduces 17 panel photos of 5-7 different athletes in various sports: gymnasts, boxers, javelin tossers, marathon runners, wrestlers, basketball players, etc.

the blog page is here:
Heroic heights and weights - Super-hero measurements - Writeups.org

just 1 sample photo:

The book is here:
Athlete: Howard Schatz, Beverly Ornstein: 9780060195533: Amazon.com: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness