Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 02:07 PM

291 posts, read 277,303 times

Advertisements

Most gyms are filled with out of shape average people.

I wouldn't worry about "jacked" people unless you specifically seek out their gym.
Most bodybuilders and powerlifters have their own semi-secret gyms that look kind of scary to keep the kooks away.

That said, though they are big and fearsome, the "jacked" people at the bodybuilder gyms are usually way nicer and more helpful than the paid trainers at mainstream gyms.

Finally, your anxiety is to the point of debilitating, you might want to see someone about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 02:11 PM

857 posts, read 844,463 times
Do you have the space at home for workouts that would involve weights? If so, do you have a weight set, kettle bells, etc.? If you are more comfortable to work out at home and can do the exercises as intended you most certainly do not need a ton of equipment, to include any machines. Free weights will accomplish that, then at times you can do bodyweight workouts. Definitely don't have to take it the Crossfit (at home) route as you mentioned you are not a fan of that, but nevertheless can still accomplish your fitness goals. If you don't have the space/equipment and do want to progress you kind of just have to go to a gym. Another option, if you cannot get past the uncomfortable feeling of doing exercises in front of others, get a membership to a 24hr gym and go during off peak hours, i.e., early in the morning/late at night. You can do that at least initially until you learn where all the equipment is and how to perform desired exercises. Then you should feel much more comfortable going whenever you can. And just my personal observation - quite a few people who seem like they know what they are doing in the gym are not doing some exercises correctly anyway. So don't let the masses intimidate you; some just don't know what they don't know...

Old 05-06-2016, 07:58 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,755 times
First rule of Crossfit: You MUST talk about Crossfit.

I'm sure it's really great and all but just the way people I've met won't shut up about it turns me off.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:05 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Crunch Fitness, Chuze Fitness, and Planet Fitness have plans where you can only do weight training for $9.99 per month. The premium memberships are $19.99, and include the group fitness classes, sauna, hydro massage and tanning beds.

I have a membership to Chuze, and normally go four nights per week. I've been sick for a couple of weeks, so between that and my work schedule, I haven't been there for while, but to get back soon.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:06 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post

I'm sure it's really great and all but just the way people I've met won't shut up about it turns me off.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:14 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateanddown View Post

My main reason is I'm afraid because I have no clue what to do I'll look stupid and be embarrassed in front of all these jacked individuals .
You think all those "jacked individuals" were just born that way? They were beginners too and had their own issues in figuring stuff out.

I have been weight training regularly for nearly a decade. I was an infrequent visitor to the weight room throughout high school. Playing soccer, basketball and running track I had little reason to be in there. It wasnt until after leaving the Army that I had to switch things up as my knees were too beat up to continue competitive long distance running. So I got into training at the gym. It sucked in the beginning, everything felt foreign to me and I had similar doubts and concerns but at every step, anytime I needed help, someone was there to help me out and point me in tbe right direction. Now I am more than happy to repay the favor.

I have never seen anyone in all the gyms I have attended get their head ripped off for asking for help. Itspossible that it has happened but it would have done by ninjas.

I go to a gym loaded with top powerlifters and bodybuilders and mostly everyone outside of the last few days of contest prep are more than happy to help out.

As far as people judging you, in my experience that comes from mostly insecure newbies. I have respect for anyone that is pushing themselves and training hard, I dont care if youre lifting 500 pounds or 50 pounds.

My advice would be to not get too crazy. Pick 3 or 4 exercises and practice.....practice....practice....who cares what you lift, just get your form down. Learn to squat, deadlift and bench with barbells and dumbbells. Get your form to be consistently outstanding at those exercises. Ask for as much help as you need, get a trainer if needed but start simple and work your way up from there.

Last edited by Juram; 05-08-2016 at 11:22 PM..

Old 05-09-2016, 06:03 AM

Quote:

I see your point. I personally talk about it because I really enjoy it and see the results from it; just sharing what works vs. just talking about how 'cool' it is. It's nothing fancy if you will; just getting in there and busting your butt with other like minded people. Some may be turned off by the culture of it, but maybe because they haven't tried it themselves? Just like regular gyms, some folks who do Crossfit may come off as douches; there is a fair amount of those in any place.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:07 AM

In response to Juram. Haha. It is funny though but for those who do not know how Crossfit got started... Glassman was a gymnast looking for workouts to supplement/mimic the high intensity gymnastics training. He started training various athletes (to include Olympians) who clearly saw results from the training and their athletic performance showed it. Soooo, Crossfit is not just 'for working out' or just exercising for the sake of getting bigger looking muscles but getting one stronger, faster, etc. when it comes to every day tasks. That is the point I think many seem to completely miss. Doing curls at a globo gym to me is a pure waist of time. Work out for a purpose rather just for looks.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:27 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateanddown View Post
Thank you for all the advice . I am not a fan of crossfit.

Like I've stated I like to workout , I push myself even after long days at work . I have a very lean body and you can tell that I work out I wasn't just born skinny there's muscle definition and obliques trying to show and I don't have a belly anymore either .

I just wanted a change and add some muscle onto my lean frame .

Aside from feeling like idk what I'm doing in the gym it was just more conpfortsble doing home workouts , I knew which workout I had to do for the day exactly what I had to do didn't have to drive anywhere .

The other issue is I do research find some moves I would do and which workouts to do for a particular muscle group online but it's the anxiety of ok now I have to go in the gym in front of everyone and find that exact machine or bar and do it correctly .
Please prioritize your goals for me:

Gain strength

Gain muscle mass

Reduce body fat

Get better at specific movement/activity

A personal trainer will certainly help you feel more comfortable with knowing your way around your particular gym and which machine to use and how to use them correctly.

It sounds like your #1 concern is programming - i.e. "what to do, on what day, for how many sets/reps". Personal trainers can help, certainly, but there is TONS of free programming available online at your disposal, as well.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:31 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:

Then it's probably not for you, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I would suggest this is a bigger problem with your sphere of acquaintances, however.

I've been doing CrossFit for 6+ years, been to a dozen or so gyms across the country (work travel) and I've never run into this phenomenon, although I've certainly heard of it - usually from people who don't like CrossFit.

All I can say is that I've never brought up the subject of CrossFit to anyone unbidden, and I've never had anyone "proselytize" to me about CrossFit. Ever.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness