Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 06:35 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
In response to Juram. Haha. It is funny though but for those who do not know how Crossfit got started... Glassman was a gymnast looking for workouts to supplement/mimic the high intensity gymnastics training. He started training various athletes (to include Olympians) who clearly saw results from the training and their athletic performance showed it. Soooo, Crossfit is not just 'for working out' or just exercising for the sake of getting bigger looking muscles but getting one stronger, faster, etc. when it comes to every day tasks. That is the point I think many seem to completely miss. Doing curls at a globo gym to me is a pure waist of time. Work out for a purpose rather just for looks.
Working out for aesthetic reasons IS a purpose.

Bodybuilding isn't my thing, but if it is someone else's? More power to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 06:39 AM

857 posts, read 844,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Working out for aesthetic reasons IS a purpose.

Bodybuilding isn't my thing, but if it is someone else's? More power to them.
No doubt. But to knock functional training while doing workouts for aesthetic purposes only is a bit silly to me, hence my point earlier.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:00 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
No doubt. But to knock functional training while doing workouts for aesthetic purposes only is a bit silly to me, hence my point earlier.
A bit silly to you, because you're not interested in being a bodybuilder. Horses for courses. If someone was only concerned with packing on the highest amount of muscle mass in the shortest period of time, doing CrossFit or any other form of HIIT would be silly to them, no?

Old 05-09-2016, 07:19 AM

857 posts, read 844,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
A bit silly to you, because you're not interested in being a bodybuilder. Horses for courses. If someone was only concerned with packing on the highest amount of muscle mass in the shortest period of time, doing CrossFit or any other form of HIIT would be silly to them, no?

Yeah I suppose. No point in arguing this as to each their own.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:01 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,584,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateanddown View Post
All of my life I have been active , I played baseball all my life , soccer when I was a kid football as a teenager . But winters I would always pack on weight I had a horrible diet growing up . After baseball ended for me when I was 18 I just laid around playing video games and eating fast chips and soda , I was around 255 pounds .
I was finally tired of it and said it was time to make a change I got extremely strict with my eating and I did Sean t 25 home workouts 3x through and have gone halfway through p90x3 I'm down between 200-210 now everyone says I'm extremely lean and look very good I'm also tall 6'3.
However my body has been the same for about a year now , it won't change and I've grown bored of the same old home workout and just being lean body ( can tell by looking at me I workout and take care of my body and wasn't just born skinny ).

I have been trying for months and months to talk myself into getting into a gym , I wanna lose / tighten the last little bit of flab and extra skin left on my lower stomach and get bigger arms and just overall be more muscular lean and tighter stomach , however I know not a single thing on the gym . I went for a few work about 4 years ago just did whatever machine I knew and wasted my time .

My main reason is I'm afraid because I have no clue what to do I'll look stupid and be embarrassed in front of all these jacked individuals .

What can I do to start learning the gym and be conpfortsble going there with a 4-5 day workout plan to get shredded up and overcome the fear of going . It's not a lazy issue , I put in the work 6-7 days a week p90x3 or cardio but just afraid of learning something overwelming and not knowing what to do and where to begin .

Sorry for the wall of text , any tips and ideas and workout plans would be greatly appreciated .

FYI: telling me to just go and figure it out doesn't help me , I'm easily discouraged and if I go and feel I look stupid or wasting my time I'll leave
Most gyms don't have everybody all jacked. There's a lot of average bodies in there too who just want to be toned. Personally, as a former ripped-off 24-hour fitness member, the locker rooms are filthy. I only need a few machines to use at the gym, the other items I need are free weights ( I now have at home) and body weight exercises. I'm one fo those who is self-motivated and find a way to incorporate a workout, whereever I am, so the gym is not mandatory.
Ask a friend to go with you, make training goals, and eat better. PTs can become expensive and sometimes don't look as ripped as you or know all the fat burning execises for specific areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness